Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L summer??  (Read 979 times)

sassafrass

• View Profile
    • Email
1L summer??
« on: June 25, 2008, 12:01:59 PM »
I'm looking into an intensive Spanish immersion for lawyers program in Mexico for my 1L summer. 

general thoughts?

I have a very basic grasp of Spanish, but I'd really like to be functional if not fluent.  For law students and grads out there: 

too big of a sacrifice not to pursue a more conventional internship for my 1L summer?

advice/thoughts appreciated

huhwhat

• View Profile
Re: 1L summer??
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:09:02 PM »
It doesn't really matter what you do with your post-1L summer.  All you really need to get out of whatever you do is a reference and a writing sample to use when applying for 2L summer positions.  If you can get that from this program, then it sounds like a good opportunity. 

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 12:13:43 PM »
Is it an internship or a study abroad program?  What exactly will you be doing?  If it's an internship, it sounds fantastic.  If it's study abroad, try to find some type of legal work that you can do at the same time.  I've heard that firms tend to look down on summer study abroad (unless you also have a legal job) and view it as something that you do if you can't get a job.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Advocate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 12:32:05 PM »
Does this program have anything to do with your career in the law? I guess it won't hurt you too much even if it doesn't, but there are probably better things you could be doing -- like anything at all law-related. Undergrad is over. No more summer fun.

sassafrass

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 01:01:28 PM »
thank you guys for the replies, very appreciated. here's a little more info:

The program is at the Universidad Internacional in Cuernavaca.

www.spanishschool.uninter.edu .mx/

Yes, it appears to have affiliations with many undergrad spanish departments in the states.  But one of the programs they have is Spanish for American legal professionals. 

Among other things I'm very interested in PI/immigration/Mexican Law, so I really want to make the most of this, I definitely do not look at it as "play" time, although I do think it would be fun.  I live in a place with quite a burgeoning hispanic population, also

Sell Out

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 10:51:31 PM »
thank you guys for the replies, very appreciated. here's a little more info:

The program is at the Universidad Internacional in Cuernavaca.

www.spanishschool.uninter.edu .mx/

Yes, it appears to have affiliations with many undergrad spanish departments in the states.  But one of the programs they have is Spanish for American legal professionals. 

Among other things I'm very interested in PI/immigration/Mexican Law, so I really want to make the most of this, I definitely do not look at it as "play" time, although I do think it would be fun.  I live in a place with quite a burgeoning hispanic population, also

Yes, knowing Spanish as an immigration lawyer will up your stock.  It's unique and if you frame it in a way that says something like "intensive Spanish language course for legal professionals" or something like that, then it won't matter.  OCI is going to look at your grades/law review/moot court.  This will be a talking point in your interview.  In other words, if you want to do it, then do it.
Rocking in the free world.

UH 2010