Law School Discussion

-

-
« on: June 25, 2008, 09:45:06 AM »
-

No they don't. Supposedly they have a very liberal definition of "clerkships."

the kind of clerkships most of them do aren't the kind of clerkships you want.

At Seton Hall, there are a lot of traffic court clerkships.  But their brochure just gives a number of clerkships and a list of prestigious places one or two clerk at, without saying vast majority are not in those prestigious courts. This pumps up their employment numbers which are only looked at in the first year, as no one asks whether these people are employed after the "clerkship."

I think some also include staff attorney positions, which are far from being what we think of as 'clerkships.'

How bout because its a 20 minute drive or 10 minute train ride to NYC, the legal capital of the world.  Seton Hall is no. 66 in the country with the No. 4 Healthcare Law program in the country.

ac34

My understanding is that New Jersey judges are, for whatever reason, particularly inclined towards NJ law schools. I'm sure that those schools' fudging of their clerkship stats play a role, but in any case, it does seem that NJ judges rarely hire outside of NJ's three law schools. 30-something years ago, my father clerked for an NJ superior court judge after graduating from Rutgers-Camden, and apparently this has been a pattern for a while.

I'm kind of hoping that if my grades at Michigan aren't good enough to get me a federal clerkship in New York, some NJ district court judge will at least give me credit for being a lifelong resident of NJ and give me the same benefit!

After a clerkship what is the normal/usual route?