Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: George Washington University or Boston University  (Read 3061 times)

latech

• View Profile
George Washington University or Boston University
« on: June 24, 2008, 05:37:38 PM »
Which one?  I might want to go back to the South after I graduate.  I am from Louisiana but might want to practice in Texas.  I figure GW has better appeal in the South slightly.  Also, I might want to stay in D.C., Virginia, or NC and GW has the edge again.  I like International law; GW is better at that.  I also like constitutional law and the two seem equal at that.  The Boston Faculty seems better though.

Did I miss anything?

So, what do you think?

br0wnbro0wn

• View Profile
Re: George Washington University or Boston University
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 06:34:42 PM »
Was deciding last year between BC/BU/GW. Picked BU. You'll get a better experience here and it's not as competitive at GW. Lots of gunners there I heard.

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 07:01:15 PM »
Was deciding last year between BC/BU/GW. Picked BU. You'll get a better experience here and it's not as competitive at GW. Lots of gunners there I heard.

There will be gunners everywhere, but I'm inclined to agree that GW probably has more than its fair share of gunners aiming for DC biglaw/top notch gov't jobs. 

OP - It kinda sounds like you want GW.  Is the cost similar for both schools?
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 10:45:35 PM »
based on my experience at GW, i think you should pick BU.

GW has too many law students and the facilities get crammed often. there are a lot of gunners but that's a given because DC biglaw is competitive.

even though BU is next to Harvard, the gap is so large that they aren't going head-to-head very often. the relationship between GULC & GW is different and for some reason, people love to compare GW and GULC. is it because our name also starts with George and it makes us look like wannabees? who knows. the fact is that we were always in GULC's shadow and always will be.

if you have no scholarship at GW, i don't recommend it over BU. if you aren't IP, i especially don't recommend it over BU. people don't realize that nearly half of the people with biglaw from GW are IP. i don't think that's the case for BU. you will get more collegial classmates at BU and a better student to teacher ratio.

oh yeah and i found it annoying that everybody confused GW with Georgetown, even when i visited the south. it was much worse in other places because nobody ever heard of it.

i will say that if you are interested in federal gov jobs in DC that GW is the place to go. they are great for that and i don't think BU can compare in that respect.

i don't want to sound like a downer but i thought i'd give you my experience at GW. when i was deciding, a lot of kool-aid drinking posters gave me the wrong advice. i'm at another school now and i'm having a blast.

PM me if you have any more questions.

nubova

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 03:42:01 PM »
GW is much more national than BU. Also, if you could get into GW, you should also have been able to get into BC.

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 03:51:03 PM »
This is just my personal experience, but I haven't encountered one person at GW who I'd call a "gunner" the way I think it's used on this board. In each section I'm sure there are people who always answer in class, and there are people who want great grades, but for the most part, at least in my section, people aren't competitive like that at all. Maybe it's just my class year, but I haven't found GW to be ultra competitive at all and everyone really is very collegial. I can't speak for years past, but this past years 1L class was really friendly and open.   

I don't doubt anyone else's experiences, but I just haven't seen that side of GW at all. No one is cut throat, and most people are realistic about their job prospects. 

But, prestige and rankings were never really all that important to me, so being compared to Georgetown doesn't bug me at all. I also think the faculty here is outstanding. Which isn't to say Boston isn't as well, I know very little about Boston school's or placement.

dullashell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 04:04:33 PM »
GW does better in the south? Probably.  In NY or CA?  Probably not.  Much more national?  Umm, no.   

As to your second comment, maybe the OP got into BC but ruled it out earlier on (just like I did).

GW is much more national than BU. Also, if you could get into GW, you should also have been able to get into BC.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 06:28:54 PM »
i recently graduated from gw law. i think that it's generally fair to describe it as a "gunnertopia," a term that seems applicable in the sense that many gw law students are relatively type a and at least, in some non-marginal capacity, competitive. does this mean that if you're a semi-decent and reasonably nice person you're doomed de facto to 3 years of misery and loneliness? hardly. i made some excellent friends there with whom i still converse with on an almost daily basis. and even if you struggle to find friends at gw law, the fact remains that you are still in DC. law school does not have to be the conducive crutch by which the entirety of your social life is maintained. 

is the overly crowded to the point that students are "crammed in" like sardines? no. yes, the student body is large and yes, the leather lounge and 2nd floor reading areas become crowded during peak periods. is it so bad that the facilities are inaccessible? again, no. i never once had a problem finding a decent and quiet area to study at in the library. "i bet you were at laest rubbing elbows with the guy next to you .. right?" again, no. it just isn't that bad. and besides, we're comparing the facilities to those of bu. i haven't been there, but my friend who graduated from there describes the building as "archaic" and "awful." i don't know if either term is fair, or if they even describe the crowding situation, but i doubt that the situation at gw law is awful doom and gloom thunder and lightning and bu law presents nothing but capacious open fields with rivers of golden honey. i suggest that you take a tour of both before deciding.

gw vs. gt: yes, gt is the better school. yes, gt will always be the better school. yes, gw law has awful lay prestige. no one has heard of gw on the west coast. my friends think that i either attend george mason or georgetown. my thoughts on this 1) if you're attending for the cocktail party "wow" factor, i suggest that you reevaluate your decision to attend law school in its entirety, 2) it's relatively safe to say that gw is a "great" if not "elite" law school. how so? look at the #ers: over the course of the past 15 years or so, we have consistently been a t20 school, our median LSAT and GPA #ers are higher than all other non t14 schools (sig higher than bu's, slighlty higher than ucla, ut, and vandy), we place 40% of our graduating class into NLJ 250 firms (more so than bu's - the notion, btw, that "half" of gw biglaw attnys are patent prosecution qualfied is absurd; only a very small % of my class had the requisite technical background to receive the IP "bump;" those attempting to break into IP (patent lit, TM, (c)) without tech backgrounds face a serious uphill battle given the difficulty of breaking into "soft" IP), we host the #3 IP program (does bu have any comparatively well-respected specialty program?), and, geographical preferences aside, we're located in the heart of a "superior" legal market, and 3) i have never once felt disadvantaged by gw's poo lay prestige in the legal world. the judge who i clerked for respected my opinion and published my work with only insignificant minor revision. @ teh nyc biglaw firm that i summered at, i was treated the same (in terms of workload and quality of work) as those from t14 schools and those from t30 schools with superior lay prestige and general name recognition. anyway, the point is that those who "know" (i.e. practicing attorneys and the like) give gw law (from my experience) its due. yeah, the associated lay prestige would have been nice, but is it really necessary for the advancement of my career? i stand to earn 195k this year. you tell me.

LASTLY: am i feeding you the company line? am i asking you to drink the claque-brewed corporate kool-aid? no. facts are facts: if you want guarantees, go to HYS. oh wait, you didn't get a 177 on the LSAT? yeah, me neither. if you want a guarantee coming out of gw law, you must finish in the top 15%. top 35% will give you an excellent shot at success, but top 15% is your only guarantee. anything less than top 35% places you in the "iffy" zone [note: this pertains to biglaw "market rate" prospects]. can you still achieve market rate coming out of the this section of the class? yeah, but it's a crap shoot. is 180k in debt worth a possible crap shoot? that's up to you.

why the tirade? because i feel as if gw generally receives a bad rap. the person who transferred to uva from gw obviously **hated** his / her time there. fair enough, it happens. all the same, i'd be hesitant to rely on his/her opinion alone. at least now you have a counterpoint.

lastly lastly, bu and gw aren't really national to begin with. that having been said, both schools have regional interview programs (CA regiona, NY regional, FL regional .. maybe a couple others, i'm not sure). if you're curious to see how the schools stack up against one another, request a list of firms that participate in the regional interview programs from both schools. also, if you're interested in one firm in particular, vist http://www.nalp.org/ and look to see where that firm recruits from. i seriously doubt that there is a "dominance" to be seen (looking @ NY and CA firms), but if i had to bet, i'd put my money on GW showing up more often than BU .. 

br0wnbro0wn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 07:45:06 PM »
i recently graduated from gw law. i think that it's generally fair to describe it as a "gunnertopia," a term that seems applicable in the sense that many gw law students are relatively type a and at least, in some non-marginal capacity, competitive. does this mean that if you're a semi-decent and reasonably nice person you're doomed de facto to 3 years of misery and loneliness? hardly. i made some excellent friends there with whom i still converse with on an almost daily basis. and even if you struggle to find friends at gw law, the fact remains that you are still in DC. law school does not have to be the conducive crutch by which the entirety of your social life is maintained. 

is the overly crowded to the point that students are "crammed in" like sardines? no. yes, the student body is large and yes, the leather lounge and 2nd floor reading areas become crowded during peak periods. is it so bad that the facilities are inaccessible? again, no. i never once had a problem finding a decent and quiet area to study at in the library. "i bet you were at laest rubbing elbows with the guy next to you .. right?" again, no. it just isn't that bad. and besides, we're comparing the facilities to those of bu. i haven't been there, but my friend who graduated from there describes the building as "archaic" and "awful." i don't know if either term is fair, or if they even describe the crowding situation, but i doubt that the situation at gw law is awful doom and gloom thunder and lightning and bu law presents nothing but capacious open fields with rivers of golden honey. i suggest that you take a tour of both before deciding.

gw vs. gt: yes, gt is the better school. yes, gt will always be the better school. yes, gw law has awful lay prestige. no one has heard of gw on the west coast. my friends think that i either attend george mason or georgetown. my thoughts on this 1) if you're attending for the cocktail party "wow" factor, i suggest that you reevaluate your decision to attend law school in its entirety, 2) it's relatively safe to say that gw is a "great" if not "elite" law school. how so? look at the #ers: over the course of the past 15 years or so, we have consistently been a t20 school, our median LSAT and GPA #ers are higher than all other non t14 schools (sig higher than bu's, slighlty higher than ucla, ut, and vandy), we place 40% of our graduating class into NLJ 250 firms (more so than bu's - the notion, btw, that "half" of gw biglaw attnys are patent prosecution qualfied is absurd; only a very small % of my class had the requisite technical background to receive the IP "bump;" those attempting to break into IP (patent lit, TM, (c)) without tech backgrounds face a serious uphill battle given the difficulty of breaking into "soft" IP), we host the #3 IP program (does bu have any comparatively well-respected specialty program?), and, geographical preferences aside, we're located in the heart of a "superior" legal market, and 3) i have never once felt disadvantaged by gw's poo lay prestige in the legal world. the judge who i clerked for respected my opinion and published my work with only insignificant minor revision. @ teh nyc biglaw firm that i summered at, i was treated the same (in terms of workload and quality of work) as those from t14 schools and those from t30 schools with superior lay prestige and general name recognition. anyway, the point is that those who "know" (i.e. practicing attorneys and the like) give gw law (from my experience) its due. yeah, the associated lay prestige would have been nice, but is it really necessary for the advancement of my career? i stand to earn 195k this year. you tell me.

LASTLY: am i feeding you the company line? am i asking you to drink the claque-brewed corporate kool-aid? no. facts are facts: if you want guarantees, go to HYS. oh wait, you didn't get a 177 on the LSAT? yeah, me neither. if you want a guarantee coming out of gw law, you must finish in the top 15%. top 35% will give you an excellent shot at success, but top 15% is your only guarantee. anything less than top 35% places you in the "iffy" zone [note: this pertains to biglaw "market rate" prospects]. can you still achieve market rate coming out of the this section of the class? yeah, but it's a crap shoot. is 180k in debt worth a possible crap shoot? that's up to you.

why the tirade? because i feel as if gw generally receives a bad rap. the person who transferred to uva from gw obviously **hated** his / her time there. fair enough, it happens. all the same, i'd be hesitant to rely on his/her opinion alone. at least now you have a counterpoint.

lastly lastly, bu and gw aren't really national to begin with. that having been said, both schools have regional interview programs (CA regiona, NY regional, FL regional .. maybe a couple others, i'm not sure). if you're curious to see how the schools stack up against one another, request a list of firms that participate in the regional interview programs from both schools. also, if you're interested in one firm in particular, vist http://www.nalp.org/ and look to see where that firm recruits from. i seriously doubt that there is a "dominance" to be seen (looking @ NY and CA firms), but if i had to bet, i'd put my money on GW showing up more often than BU .. 

sounds fair. but i don't think GW can ever be called "elite"

kev199

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 07:51:35 PM »
Visit BU and GWU if you haven't already.  My visit to BU was not impressive to say the least.  PM if you want to hear about it.
Showing that waitlisters have a chance!