Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ITT: How I lost, along with my scholarship, my love for Tulane ** Update **  (Read 18031 times)

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ITT: How I lost, along with my scholarship, my love for Tulane
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2008, 08:51:57 AM »
To OP:
This is serious.  I don't think it's reasonable for you to accuse this professor of breaching the honor code. There's no reason for him/her to do it. As a previous poster pointed out, everybody (nearly) gets a lousy aberration grade at one point in their law school career. Simply because you know the topic and you walked out feeling like you nailed it doesn't exclude the possibility of a stinker grade. There's a tendency to whine and invent stories about why it wasn't you that caused it. Just remember, for those previous exams that you got B's on, there were smart people who got C's and D's. There was no conspiracy, it just happens. The only way to insulate yourself from this experience is to work hard, and even that doesn't save you all the time. The fact that your lousy aberration grade coincided with your altercation with the prof about taking a week off was probably pure coincidence.

^^ LOL, TulaneLawProf@hotmail.com

:D :D :D

Again, I'm far more upset at the administration's handling of the matter than I am at the professor.  I'd like to reiterate that the grade was the worst in class and the point totals I was given simply aren't possible.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2008, 12:30:16 PM »
If it gives you more ammo... I got a C- in my property; I only went to class on the first day, and I studied for a grand total during the semester of about 4 hours, all the night before the final.  Srsly.  Getting a D in law school is HARD, I didnt think it was possible until I read this thread.

It is pretty apparent something fishy is up.  OP is not a stupid guy.

pubicinterestlawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2008, 01:18:13 PM »
If it gives you more ammo... I got a C- in my property; I only went to class on the first day, and I studied for a grand total during the semester of about 4 hours, all the night before the final.  Srsly.  Getting a D in law school is HARD, I didnt think it was possible until I read this thread.

I have no doubt that the OP is smart. To get into a T1 law school, we all took a test that determined that we had above average logic and reading comp skills. But every time an exam is administered, someone has to be on the bottom of the pile. The fact that these tests are open-ended and subject to multiple interpretations makes it even more likely that you get a "wtf?!" grade back once in a while. That doesn't mean there was a foul. It doesn't mean there wasn't a foul either. But if you are going to blame the prof for your bad grade, you better be able to show some set of facts that pretty clearly indicates discrimination, quid pro quo, or careless grading. I'm not even sure from your narrative whether you're alleging that the prof acquired your exam number to give you a vindictive bad grade or whether she was able to give you a bad grade because you gave self-identifying information on the exam.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2008, 01:29:17 PM »

I have no doubt that the OP is smart. To get into a T1 law school, we all took a test that determined that we had above average logic and reading comp skills. But every time an exam is administered, someone has to be on the bottom of the pile. The fact that these tests are open-ended and subject to multiple interpretations makes it even more likely that you get a "wtf?!" grade back once in a while. That doesn't mean there was a foul. It doesn't mean there wasn't a foul either. But if you are going to blame the prof for your bad grade, you better be able to show some set of facts that pretty clearly indicates discrimination, quid pro quo, or careless grading. I'm not even sure from your narrative whether you're alleging that the prof acquired your exam number to give you a vindictive bad grade or whether she was able to give you a bad grade because you gave self-identifying information on the exam.

We need more facts. Discovery is in order.

Also, does someone always have to get a D?  Isnt it possible that everyone who took the test demonstrated competency?
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2008, 01:29:53 PM »

This misses the point. Somebody must be last in the class, yes, obviously. But the grade the last person has does not have to be a D. That, coupled with things not adding up right and potential spite totally justify going to the administration and having an evaluation done.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2008, 02:23:51 PM »

I think my test was not graded blindly.  I don't know how, it really doesn't matter how.  Given my relationship with the professor, I don't think its too much to ask the administration to take this seriously.

Easements, covenants, adverse possession, and IP are not open-ended and subject to multiple interpretations.  A 'C -> B-' would have been "wtf" for me on this test.  I likely wouldn't be going through this with one of those grades. 

I was given the lowest grade in the class on my best exam yet.  This happened in the one class that I had a serious confrontation with the professor.  Again, I don't care about the professor - I am disappointed that the administration is not taking this seriously and is treating me without respect or trust.

Bottom line: What if what I think happened, did happen?

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2008, 12:57:20 AM »
BB, you ever gonna talk to a prof again except raising your hand to answer a question?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2008, 11:33:15 AM »
BB, you ever gonna talk to a prof again except raising your hand to answer a question?

Haha, I'm only speaking if socraticed!

AmericanGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Huge soccer fan, obviously...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2008, 05:35:47 PM »
A damn shame what happened...

Have we risen beyond thumbtacks taped to the bottoms of soft chairs and superglue in the shampoo? Or would that be risking too much?  ;)
"Please stop using obscenities in front of these people, or I'll be forced to thrash you."

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2008, 11:21:38 AM »
No news, more of a shameless bump.