Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Studying for the bar?  (Read 677 times)

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Studying for the bar?
« on: June 24, 2008, 11:36:10 AM »
How does this actually work?  I just finished my first year of LS, and I'm curious for scheduling of life purposes!

It seems that most people don't study until about a week after spring exams of their 3rd year - they graduate, and then start barbri and study until the bar (which is mid-july, yes?)  So mid may - mid july is bar time?  It's stressful and hard, but it's short and then over, right?

I've also heard of ppl taking it more than once - do they have to wait a year to take it again each time?

I'm talking Ohio here, if that helps!

Thanks!

Luziana

• View Profile
Re: Studying for the bar?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 12:18:36 PM »
Most states (Ohio among them) give the exam twice a year -- at the end of February and at the end of July.  July is the more popular administration, since most graduates finish in May.  February exam-takers tend to be people who failed the first time, people who graduated in December, or people who are taking a second state's exam.

It's possible to take some states' exams concurrently, in the same administration.  For example, a lot of people take the NJ and NY bar exams both in July (other combinations I've heard of include PA and NJ, NY and MA, and MA and ME).  People who do that generally take state essays and the MBE in one state on the first two days, then state essays in the second state on the third day.  I don't think Ohio is one of the states that you can arrange this for, however.

As always, take this with a grain of salt -- I am certainly no expert.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 12:43:11 PM »
The bar is offered the last week of July.  I'm taking the NC bar, which is July 29th and 30th.  The multistate (200 question multiple choice exam on 6 subjects) is offered on July 30th for everyone in the country.  The multistate is always offered on the same day.  I don't know what other requirements Ohio has.  The first day of the NC bar exam is 12 essays based on NC state law and general common law principles which everyone studied in the first year. 

While it might be short in time, the 2 months of bar prep seem to be the longest of my life so far.  I've been at it for a little over a month now and can't wait for it to end.  If you fail in July, my understanding is that you can take it in February in every state, but I could be wrong. 

As far as lifestyle, it's like the first semester of 1L all over again.  I'm putting in 3 hours of barbri class time, plus about 4-6 hours outside of class every day reviewing notes and doing practice questions.  When July gets here and barbri ends, I'll probably be putting in about 10 hours per day up until the day of the exam. 

If you can imagine a massive, comprehensive law school exams on all the subjects you hated in law school (civ pro, torts, property, etc.) being offered over a period of 2-3 days, that's what the bar is like. 

With hard work and any luck at all, I'll be done with this exam and will never have to take it again.

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 08:37:06 AM »
The bar exam is a closed book 2 day exam on over 20 subjects.  If you fail, you may loose your job, and you will have explaining to do in every job interview you have.  You may not have a job for the next 6 months while you study to take it again.

Luziana

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 09:47:47 AM »
The bar exam is a closed book 2 day exam on over 20 subjects.

In some states it's 3 days and covers a different number of topics.  For instance, Louisiana's exam is 3 full days of essays in 9 broad topic areas.  Ohio's bar exam website -- and the OP said she planned to take Ohio's -- indicates it's a three day exam on what looks to be 10 broad topics.

Each state's exam is different.  So investigate your state's requirements, and make sure to meet all the filing deadlines etc., including any preregistration deadlines (some states make you preregister in your first or second year of law school).  And then be sure to take a bar review course!  It's theoretically possible to pass the bar exam without taking one, but I don't recommend trying it.