Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Firm Rankings: What are the tiers?  (Read 1218 times)

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Firm Rankings: What are the tiers?
« on: June 24, 2008, 10:25:26 AM »
Do firms tend to fall into tiers in terms of Vault rankings?  I've heard some talk about V10, V20, etc, but I'd like further info.  Thanks!
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Firm Rankings: What are the tiers?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 10:35:41 AM »
Vault is only really useful for NY in my opinion.  Outside NY, they mean a lot less.  I mean Williams and Connolly?  Irell?  Munger?

A better resource in my opinion is chambers and partners.  They list firms in particular markets by practice area and band.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 10:44:31 AM »
Vault is only really useful for NY in my opinion.  Outside NY, they mean a lot less.  I mean Williams and Connolly?  Irell?  Munger?

A better resource in my opinion is chambers and partners.  They list firms in particular markets by practice area and band.

I've been using chambers and partners for the practice areas that I'm interested in, but they don't have any type of overall rankings.  Would you recommend any other resource for overall strength of an office/firm outside of NY?
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 11:00:27 AM »
They're what I looked at for the most part, so not really.  Sorry.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 12:45:43 PM »
They're what I looked at for the most part, so not really.  Sorry.

What markets were you considering?  Do you think C&P served you well?  Any other advice?

Thanks!  :)

lsn

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 05:39:15 PM »
DC only.  I found talking to people in the year ahead of me who applied to DC was helpful in terms of finding out about firms.