Law School Discussion

Your Top Five

Re: Your Top Five
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 12:31:24 PM »
Columbia may be in Manhattan, but as a resident of Morningside Heights, I can fairly say that its basically a suburb.

Anywho:

Undergrad: NYU

1. Yale: Should go without saying, is reasonably within reach of my numbers, though I haven't cured cancer lately, so who knows? Closer to NYC than Boston, so beats out
2. Harvard: Also goes without saying; I'm a name-whore.
3. NYU: in NYC, better neighborhood than Columbia, I have a giant academic crush on an Int'l Law prof there that I took a seminar with and would love to do more with him.
4. Columbia: In the city, the BF goes there so I have many friends there and lots of inside info already.
5. Cornell: this is my safety if I do way worse on the LSAT than my practice tests indicated.  I love love love Ithaca, so 3 years there would be great.

Gone

• Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2008, 12:39:29 PM »
Columbia may be in Manhattan, but as a resident of Morningside Heights, I can fairly say that its basically a suburb.

Anywho:

Undergrad: NYU

1. Yale: Should go without saying, is reasonably within reach of my numbers, though I haven't cured cancer lately, so who knows? Closer to NYC than Boston, so beats out
2. Harvard: Also goes without saying; I'm a name-whore.
3. NYU: in NYC, better neighborhood than Columbia, I have a giant academic crush on an Int'l Law prof there that I took a seminar with and would love to do more with him.
4. Columbia: In the city, the BF goes there so I have many friends there and lots of inside info already.
5. Cornell: this is my safety if I do way worse on the LSAT than my practice tests indicated.  I love love love Ithaca, so 3 years there would be great.

What does your BF have to say about that? ;)

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 12:53:17 PM »

It's true (even though that can be nice sometimes). It's not a suburb the way suburbs anywhere but New York are, but as far as New York suburbs go, Morningside Heights comes close.  So do some parts of Queens, and all of Staten Island. 

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2008, 12:55:08 PM »
schpat - I also go to a Canadian university. A couple of my good friends went to McGill and really enjoyed it but it was not the place for me. I love how Canadians on this board have to qualify the rank of their school, though I'd say McGill and U of T are pretty well known outside of Canada.

Haha, I know. You have no idea how often I had to explain to my friends in VA (and back home in Germany) that McGill IS actually a respectable institution and not some kind of community college somewhat north of Vermont ;)

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2008, 09:16:22 AM »
1. Utah
2. Colorado
3. Lewis and Clark
4. Texas
5. Wyoming

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2008, 01:06:34 PM »
I find it very interesting to see how some of the posters have a very geographical inclination (like myself) while others are the opposite and don't seem to mind moving.  Just a comment- I'm glad that everyone seems to be enjoying this thread.

I am with you.

My reasons are:
-I own a home
-I am married
-I will have two children as of September 2008 (under 2)
-I have a majority of family members that live in Indiana
-My husband has a decent job that pays the bills (like the mortgage!)
-I have a decent PT job that is very flexible

Therefore, I place great consideration on geographical limits. I will only relocate if I get a decent ride at a decent school, and if my husband can get a job in a new location.

My top picks (barring decent scholarships at T14 schools, of course):

1. Indiana University - Indianapolis (location!)
2. Indiana University- Bloomington
3. University of Notre Dame
4. ??
5. ??

Of course, my LSAT scores will play a large part in this list. My husband is very opposed to moving, whereas I am more willing to move if I can get into a fantastic school.

Top Cat

• Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2008, 01:12:41 PM »
Since my scores have come in, my top five has changed dramatically.  While it is still highly geographical, the following is my adjusted top 5:

1. Vanderbilt
2. Washington U in St. Louis
3. Duke
4. Kentucky
5. Emory

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2008, 02:02:25 PM »
tha trev here...
still trying to decide about oct. re-take, but for now:

UG: small private college in OR
UGPA: 3.2...expect a slight drop when LSAC GPA comes in...

1.(tie) IU-Bloomington
1.(tie) William & Mary
3. UNC-Chapel Hill
4. Wake Forest
5. Emory...?

milk

• Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2008, 09:25:45 PM »
Undergrad-Top-30

1*) Columbia- Ivy League + NYC + Prestige
2*) NYU- Great Area + Great Job Placement + Cool Factor
3)  Penn- Ivy League + Decent atmosphere in Philly + History / Campus
4)  Michigan- Love everything about the university + Beautiful Camus + Potential Scholarship
5)  Harvard- May as well give it a shot right?

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2008, 02:05:06 AM »
(Realistic)

1.  Columbia - Almost went for undergrad.  Still regret not doing it.  Great location, great school, has a strange draw on me.
2.  Chicago - Everything I've heard is good. 
3.  Michigan - Ditto.
4.  Boalt - Best school on the West coast I have a fair shot at getting into.  Haven't done enough research on it, but I like what I've seen. 
5.  Virginia - It'd be nice to live some place warm.  University designed by Thomas Jefferson.  Great access to the kind of federal jobs I want.