Law School Discussion

Your Top Five

Re: Your Top Five
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 10:33:24 PM »
Undergrad:  Ivy...that you've probably heard of (hint to all you Office fans!)

Cornell street university?

Undergrad: Penn State (dur)

1. UPenn - they have a fantastic post baccalaureate program in the classics as well that I'm really interested in

2. Fordham - I absolutely love NYC, and NYU and Columbia are definitely out of reach

3. Rutgers Newark - Again, go New York! Also, I qualify for a hefty scholarship

4. Georgetown - government interests me and DC is also pretty cool and not that far from Philly (home)

5. Temple - a ton of Temple grads in the family (both undergrad and law) and I could live at home and save on some serious rent $$

Nice broad scope I think!

You LSAT is TBA and you have an awesome GPA, you could go where ever you want if your score is high enough! When do you take the test?

I took it last week; I was scoring 167-174 so it's really up in the air. Still, I'm not going to bother with the top TOP schools as my soft factors aren't spectacular. Everybody who applies to NYU, Columbia, etc have great numbers.  :(

econtutorNV

• Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 11:24:09 PM »
Based on a ~167 (my median for practice tests)

Undergraduate-Univeristy of Nevada, Reno

1. USC- I love Southern California and it would irk my UCLA graduate grandmother to no end if I went here. Also, for some reason I liked it more than UCLA when I visited the two.

2. UCLA- If you can't beat 'em, join e'm (see above)

3. UC Davis- My little brother is in the middle of getting his Ph.D. here so I would have a built in support system, not to mention its a 2 hour trip from my hometown. I like the town of Davis, the campus, and I wouldn't mind ending up in Sacramento once I graduate.

4. University of Washington- Cool city, good school, the state of Washington is definitely a place that I could see myself settling down.

5. U San Diego- I spent three years in SD in the navy during which I came to the conclusion that it is hands down the best city on the West coast. I do have to admit that it would take a hefty scholarship for me to consider going here over any of the above.   

Top Cat

• Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 08:49:36 AM »
I find it very interesting to see how some of the posters have a very geographical inclination (like myself) while others are the opposite and don't seem to mind moving.  Just a comment- I'm glad that everyone seems to be enjoying this thread.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 09:16:19 AM »
Great thread, here's my input:

Undergrad: Fordham University

1) Vanderbilt: LOVE Nashville, great career prospects in the area

2) Texas: Hook 'em horns, like austins atmosphere and has good national   recognition

3) UNC: just because i like NC and have been a huge tarheel fan forever

4) Fordham: Go to the bronx campus, but the Manhattan campus will be a nice change of pace, down to four on the list because I like NYC, but I get the feeling that if you're going to work there, you have to LOVE it

5) Uconn: Safety, in-state tuition

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 10:05:06 AM »

Oh man, top 5, taking some from various tiers...
1. NYU: Love New York, obviously a good school
2. Chicago: From Illinois, fantastic Econ program as well
3. UMich: For some reason I've always had a hardon for that school
4. Georgetown: DC area. I like politics
5. UIUC: Solid Illinois School, close to home.

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 10:18:28 AM »
woohooo for columbia!!!

non parata est

• buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 11:04:57 AM »
This is a good thread.

My (Realistic) Top 5

1) Georgetown: Always been a dream school; I sat in on a class here as part of a program I did during high school and fell in love.  Plus, I'd love (read: I have pipe dreams about) working in D.C. as an AUSA after a clerkship position, and GULC's probably my best chance to do that.

2) University of Texas-Austin: I've only been down to Texas a few times, but I love the climate and the people.  Combine that with Austin, which seems like a fantastic cultural and political city, and the fact that UT controls placement in much of the south and you've got a recipe for success.

3) George Washington: Second-best school in D.C., seems to place very well at firms and in government positions.  Also, they give a full ride to Early Decision admits.

4) Washington and Lee: As someone hoping to do trial work, I think their 3rd year practicum courses are a great idea.  I'm also enticed by the low COL and the fact that they're not too far from D.C.

5) University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign: Resident tuition, baby.  Plus, they do surprisingly well in Chicago and St. Louis markets, two cities that I wouldn't mind working in.

Of course, all this changes with a freak acceptance from a Hail Mary, but I'm trying to keep it real yo.

Fake ETA: Of course, any advice anyone has on these schools would be greatly appreciated.

non parata est

• buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 11:51:51 AM »
Do you live in dorms, or out in town?  Do you know what people typically pay for apartments or houses?

What is there to do in Lexington?

How close are decent full-time jobs for a cute Lit major who wants to eventually work in public health and might be supporting her S.O. as he fumbles his way through law school?

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 12:47:37 PM »
Undergrad: NC State Engineering, history double major, cumulative GPA 3.62
Grad: PhD, UNC-Chapel Hill biology
Took LSAT last week.  Preptest average was 170.

My Top 5 right now:

1.)GW: I'm an IP guy and this is a great place for it.  Like someone on the last page said, full rides to all early admits is very appealing.
2.)Duke: Might as well attend all three Triangle schools.
3.)UNC: Great school and it would be affordable, but after 5+ years on this campus I think I need a change of scenery.
4.)George Mason: Great for IP, most affordable of the DC-area schools.
5.)Wake Forest: Love the campus and the area...the school just feels comfy.  Wife got her Masters here.

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 01:23:48 PM »
I'll give it a go:

1. Harvard
2. Columbia
3. Harvard
4. Columbia
5. Harvard

Honorable Mention: Columbia