Your Top Five

Top Cat

• Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
Your Top Five
« on: June 23, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
A lot of us on here are at kind of a stand still, either awaiting acceptance, awaiting August classes, or awaiting (dreading?) the all-powerful LSAT scores.  This is a way for us to learn more about each other and kill time.

Here's what you do- list your undergrad university, then list your top five schools.  Don't list your dream schools- list what is currently your realistic top five list with an explanation of why it is where it is.  I'll go first.

Undergrad: Western Kentucky University (Bowling Green, KY)

Top Five:

1. U of Kentucky- best school in the state, very affordable, I think I can pull down some good scholarships

2. Vanderbilt U- best school in area, I love Nashville/ Bowling Green area, places well everywhere, probably too expensive without some great aid

3. Duke U- great reputation, beautiful area, very selective and way outside of my budget, a little (lot) far from home

4. U of Louisville- close to home, nice city that I could see myself in, not a great reputation, inferior to UK

5. Northern Kentucky U- very cheap, could probably get a full ride plus big big money, lousy school, terrible campus

Hopefully this will catch on and we can learn a little more about each other.

edit: I knew they were VU and DU... just forgot :-\

TimMitchell

Re: Your Top Five
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 06:47:03 PM »
I'll bite. This depends wholly on my LSAT, though.. I'll post assuming I get a 170 *crosses fingers*

Undergrad: Wilmington University (Wilmington, DE)

Top Five:

1. Harvard: C'mon, does this even need an explanation

2. Columbia: Always wanted to live in NYC, best law school in the city IMO

3. Penn: Will be going for JD/MBA and living near Philly Wharton has always been a dream of mine. Depending on my LSAT might apply here ED

4. Georgetown: Wouldn't mind living in DC, either. Still close to home and Georgetown sounds like a great school.

5. Rutgers-Camden: My favorite safety. I'd like to clerk after school and they have an excellent placement record. I'm Philly for life and they have a great local rep

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 06:53:19 PM »
FYI, the names are Vanderbilt University and Duke University  ;)

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 07:34:34 PM »
Undergrad: Providence College (Rhode Island)

1. Duke - would love to live and work in the Carolinas and Enviro law interest
2. UNC Chapel Hill - same as Duke
3. Tulane - well respected enviro law program
4. Vermont - enviro theme - good saftey
5. UC - Davis - in case I want to stay in CA, strongest enviro program in CA

good thread idea, thanks

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 08:29:04 PM »
University of Colorado-Denver GPA 3.7 Expected LSAT 164+

1. University of Washington - Best school in the Pacific Northwest. Would love to live in Seattle or Portland. This school has a good enough reputation (I think) for me to do either with ease. I would not consider any other school if accepted here.

2. Seattle University - Great location and have a strong interest to practice public interest law, no desire for Big Law.

3. University of Wisconsin - Best school in Wisconsin and I love Wisconsin sports teams.

4. University of Oregon - Would consider Lewis and Clark, but it does not sound like they have much to offer besides environmental law. Great location.

5. Marquette - Respectable school and I could go to a lot of Milwaukee Brewers' games while I attend school and post graduation, unsure of how long I would like to stay in Wisconsin for.

Honorable Mention: Lewis and Clark

All schools preferences are based on location and trying not to accumulate a lot of debt in college. Hopefully like in the state of Colorado an amount of school debt is forgiven if you pursue public interest law.

TimMitchell

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 08:31:26 PM »
Undergrad:  Ivy...that you've probably heard of (hint to all you Office fans!)

Cornell street university?

Undergrad: Penn State (dur)

1. UPenn - they have a fantastic post baccalaureate program in the classics as well that I'm really interested in

2. Fordham - I absolutely love NYC, and NYU and Columbia are definitely out of reach

3. Rutgers Newark - Again, go New York! Also, I qualify for a hefty scholarship

4. Georgetown - government interests me and DC is also pretty cool and not that far from Philly (home)

5. Temple - a ton of Temple grads in the family (both undergrad and law) and I could live at home and save on some serious rent $$

Nice broad scope I think!

You LSAT is TBA and you have an awesome GPA, you could go where ever you want if your score is high enough! When do you take the test?

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 09:26:29 PM »
Charles Barkley
Dwyane Wade
Kenny Smith
Ernie Johnson
Frank Caliendo (In case Charles gets laryngitis)

"This list is trbl!!!"

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 09:34:36 PM »
Okay, I'll give this a shot.  Preferences are very preliminary, and none of this counts without an LSAT score.  :) 

Undergrad: One of HYP 

Top 5:

1. HLS.  It really seems like a fantastic fit for my goals (federal government work, possibly transitioning towards policy later on.)  They will never accept me in a million years. But I can dream...and waste 80 bucks applying.

2. UChicago.  I grew up in Chicago and prefer it to NYC.   Post-LS, I want to end up in DC or Chicago, and UChi seems like a great way to get there.  I like that it's a small school, and the faculty is amazing.

3. Michigan.  Everyone I talk to about Michigan seems to love the environment. (Plus, going to a school with a real football team would be fantastic.)

4. Virginia.  Ditto what I said about Michigan. It also has strong DC placement, which would be helpful if I can't get into government work straight out of school.

5. Northwestern.  I took my LSAT there last week - gorgeous campus, and everyone seems very happy there.   

Obviously these are very early impressions...I'm sure I'll change my mind several hundred times before next May.  Also, my GPA is in that "okay but just okay" twilight zone, so it all depends on the LSAT. 

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 09:35:58 PM »
Okay, I'll give this a shot.  Preferences are very preliminary, and none of this counts without an LSAT score.  :)

Top 5:

1. HLS.  It really seems like a fantastic fit for my goals (federal government work, possibly transitioning towards policy later on.)  They will never accept me in a million years. But I can dream...and waste 80 bucks applying.

2. UChicago.  I grew up in Chicago and prefer it to NYC.   Post-LS, I want to end up in DC or Chicago, and UChi seems like a great way to get there.  I like that it's a small school, and the faculty is amazing.

3. Michigan.  Everyone I talk to about Michigan seems to love the environment. (Plus, going to a school with a real football team would be fantastic.)

4. Virginia.  Ditto what I said about Michigan. It also has strong DC placement, which would be helpful if I can't get into government work straight out of school.

5. Northwestern.  I took my LSAT there last week - gorgeous campus, and everyone seems very happy there.   

Obviously these are very early impressions...I'm sure I'll change my mind several hundred times before next May.  Also, my GPA is in that "okay but just okay" twilight zone, so it all depends on the LSAT.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 09:40:36 PM »

Top 5: