Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Minnesota (small scholarship) versus Regional T3 (full scholarship  (Read 667 times)

msmartinez

• View Profile
I am trying to decide between these two schools.  Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated.  My final two choices are Minnesota with 5K scholarship and Texas Tech with full scholarship.

Thanks!

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Where do you want to practice after graduation? Ranking is often less important than region when dealing with non-national schools.
UVA Law Class of 2011

msmartinez

• View Profile
I am from TX so the ability to practice in TX would be nice, but it is not a necessity.  Really I just want to be sure that I will be able to land a good job post graduation and have opportunities available.  I am interested in Corporate Law and have been told that the ranking of the school you attend is important for that type of law.

Thanks

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
If it were me, I'd go to Tech.  But, I want to work in TX and not go in to corporate law.

Did you apply to SMU/Baylor?  I'd guess with admission + partial scholarship to MN, you probably had a decent shot at full ride from those schools.

Marc03

• View Profile
    • numbers
hmmm...

tier 3 - $36k or less
UMN    - $150k give or take. 

$115,000 is a lot of money

my unbiased two cents...   :D

msmartinez

• View Profile
If it were me, I'd go to Tech.  But, I want to work in TX and not go in to corporate law.

Did you apply to SMU/Baylor?  I'd guess with admission + partial scholarship to MN, you probably had a decent shot at full ride from those schools.

I applied to Baylor but did not do so until very late in the cycle.  I was accepted to the spring class with a 1/2 scholarship.  I am just not sure I want to wait until February 09 to start!

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
That makes me think that Baylor Spring with 1/2 scholarship is the best option.  Work and save money in the meantime, as well as writing a letter pointing out your scholarship to Minnesota as well as your dedication to practice in Texas, and try to leverage more money out of them.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile

I applied to Baylor but did not do so until very late in the cycle.  I was accepted to the spring class with a 1/2 scholarship.  I am just not sure I want to wait until February 09 to start!

If your stats are good enough, they might bump the scholarship up if you ask. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'd probably go with Texas Tech here. I'd rather live in Texas, Texas has no state income tax, Tech does very well in the state, and you'll have a ton less debt if you keep your scholarship. I looked at the school for a little while and didn't see anything I didn't like.

Of course, Minnesota is a very good school. Really, you have a very desirable problem here.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.