Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dual Degrees  (Read 759 times)

RokoMotion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dual Degrees
« on: June 23, 2008, 02:44:54 PM »
I'm an incoming 1L interested in a career in administrative law/constitutional law/politics.  My school offers a 3 year JD/MGA (Masters in Government Administration) dual degree.  What are the merits of getting a degree like this?  Positives and Negatives? 

confusedatquinnipiac

• View Profile
Re: Dual Degrees
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 02:48:38 PM »
Why did you post this twice under two different headinga???

anyways, I recommend you look up the threads on here about JD/MBA joint degrees....I imagine it is largely the same but suspect a MGA might hold even less weight than an MBA would since you almost never need an advanced degree in government/polisci to do law work for the government

TimMitchell

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 03:03:04 PM »
I'm an incoming 1L interested in a career in administrative law/constitutional law/politics.  My school offers a 3 year JD/MGA (Masters in Government Administration) dual degree.  What are the merits of getting a degree like this?  Positives and Negatives? 

Get an MBA.. go Wharton!

I'm going for a JD/MBA (hopefully from Penn) so I wanted to tag. I don't know how useful an MGA degree, though

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 03:32:19 PM »

My dad has an MPA (Public Admin) and one of my best friends is about to start work on his. Never heard of MGA, but I'd guess it's similar. It can be quite helpful if you want to run a city or something, but I wonder if it would be useful to a regular lawyer in private practice. I guess my question would be, what is your ultimate career goal(s), and would this degree give you any advantage in that field?

When you say "administrative law/constitutional law/politics" -- what does that mean? Does that mean you want to work for the feds? Or that you want to be a firm lawyer that one day runs for something? The thing is, or at least it seems to be from my (limited) experience, that MPA is sort of a professional degree on its own, where you go into urban planning or city management or some such, often doing internships along those lines. I can imagine an MGA being something of an asset to a city attorney, for example, but maybe not as much if you're working at the DOJ or at a firm with corporate clients.

Still, if it's a three-year program (rather than four like I think a lot of MBA/JD are), that means you're not giving up a whole year to do it, which means it's less opportunity cost. Then again, if you're getting a Master's during your three years of law school, that likely means you'd be overloaded with classes in 2L and 3L (and maybe 1L summer?), which might hurt your GPA or prevent you from taking some other opportunities. You might ask the school if they have some alumni of the program you could contact and see if they found it worth the extra effort.
UVA Law Class of 2011

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 09:49:52 PM »
This is the kind of question that will be better answered by people who actually work in the field than on the message boards. Try to get in touch with a few alumni and ask why they did it and to what extent they thing the degree helps their career prospects.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 09:53:32 PM »
This is the kind of question that will be better answered by people who actually work in the field than on the message boards. Try to get in touch with a few alumni and ask why they did it and to what extent they thing the degree helps their career prospects.

FYI TITCR FWIW HTH

Kay0014

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 10:05:34 PM »
I am currently and JD/MPA. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

TimMitchell

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 10:33:11 PM »

FYI TITCR FWIW HTH

haha, that made me laugh  :D