Author Topic: ...  (Read 1062 times)

tortNretort

• Aces High!
    • View Profile
« on: June 22, 2008, 11:36:17 PM »

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Do I need to take a summer Law School Prep course?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 11:43:45 PM »
No. I have never seen anyone, including people who attended one, have anything positive to say about these courses.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 10:46:46 PM »
My guess (utterly uninformed by experience or evidence of any sort) is folks who are very nervous about going to law school. Some nontrads maybe, who have been away from school long enough to get the eebie- jeebies about it? Some under 25%'ers who don't feel like they will be able to compete because they think the LSAT is actually predictive?

Ya got me. I read PLSII, did the Delany books, LEEWS and looked at the E&E's. I bet it is all useless, but it keeps me off the streets. Mostly.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 07:47:51 AM »
Don't waste the money on the BarBri week-long pre-law prep class. While it was great for soothing the nerves (by showing what sort of work and workload you can expect), it doesn't really teach you anything that you don't learn in the first 2 weeks of classes (especially if your school has any sort of 'intro to law' class they throw at new 1L's). If you have an extra $800-$1000 to throw away and plenty of free time, you might consider it, but you'll probably be disappointed after school actually starts.
Good Luck,
Rob

PS: When I took it last summer, there were very few non-trads there... the lecture hall they used @ Fordham was almost full and it was almost all students in their mid-20's.
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 04:55:07 AM »
I refused to pay for a class...but I found the Barron's "How to Succeed in Law School" book very helpful.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 05:00:35 AM »
I just graduated and have to say that a summer bar prep course is a total waste of time.  I was all gungho like you before law school and read a bunch of primers bought LEEWS, etc. It was such a waste of time.  Don't bother.
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 11:00:32 PM »
If you're talking about those summer classes, then i think the answer is no. I don't see how studying something for a week could help you in any big way.