Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why I don't agree with AA  (Read 21502 times)

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why I don't agree with AA
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2008, 02:24:49 AM »
AA is racial discrimnation (by definition). Most people in this country believe that racial discrimination is wrong and there is no circumstance that can justify racial discrimination. For those that believe there are places where racial discrimination is proper, this begs the question of when else is racial discrimination acceptable? Many believe that AA promotes racial discrimination and heads the country in the wrong direction. Thus, acceptance of racial discrimination leads to racism.

Has there ever been a court case challenging who checks the little box designating race? If you are Obama and 50% black can you designate yourself black? If you are 10% can you designate yourself? How about if you believed the human race evolved in Africa and some ancient ancestor must have been black? I am quite sure that more and more people are checking the little box to get a boost, regardless of their ethnic background.

Exactly

Two things, different from each other:

1.  Majority powerful group fucks over minority powerless group.
2.  Majority powerful group fucks itself over.

Think about it.

And @#!* off.
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2008, 10:37:52 AM »
If I may..I wasn't around in the 1960s or the 1860s or the 1760s, when all of this racial discrimination against blacks happened.  Why should I be held accountable for those factors?  I am not a racist, I think that *everyone* deserves an equal shot.  To be perfectly fair, yes, I will probably be hurt by AA - I have little to no shot at the T14 (because I can't afford it), when someone who is a URM would probably get very generous scholarships there with my numbers.  Did they work harder to get where they are?  It depends on the situation.  I am sure that some URMs came from seriously economically depressed backgrounds where they were discriminated against and had to pull themselves out of the mire.  I have the utmost respect for those people, and have no problem with them getting a bit of extra consideration.  That being said, I grew up in a single-wide trailer in the middle of West Virginia.  I didn't exactly have an easy shot at where I am now, much less at graduating law school.  The color of my skin does not mean that I should be discriminated against any more than it means that a URM should be discriminated against.
Mercer University School of Law '12

TimMitchell

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2008, 10:55:03 AM »
If I may..I wasn't around in the 1960s or the 1860s or the 1760s, when all of this racial discrimination against blacks happened.  Why should I be held accountable for those factors?  I am not a racist, I think that *everyone* deserves an equal shot.  To be perfectly fair, yes, I will probably be hurt by AA - I have little to no shot at the T14 (because I can't afford it), when someone who is a URM would probably get very generous scholarships there with my numbers.  Did they work harder to get where they are?  It depends on the situation.  I am sure that some URMs came from seriously economically depressed backgrounds where they were discriminated against and had to pull themselves out of the mire.  I have the utmost respect for those people, and have no problem with them getting a bit of extra consideration.  That being said, I grew up in a single-wide trailer in the middle of West Virginia.  I didn't exactly have an easy shot at where I am now, much less at graduating law school.  The color of my skin does not mean that I should be discriminated against any more than it means that a URM should be discriminated against.

Sorry, even though you were actually disadvantaged the schools are still going to put Carlton Banks ahead of you everytime.

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2008, 11:03:16 AM »
My point was that even if I was accepted, I still couldn't afford it.

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2008, 11:13:32 AM »
Well, my point is that this is entirely irrelevant to the discussion at hand and that you're just trolling for reactions.  HTH.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2008, 11:44:35 AM »

That in no way means a black student is taking your spot. Even if you could get in, your still not a minority, there will be lots of other poor whites kids going there. You wonít we the only disadvantaged white kid in the top 14, in fact there will be lots of you, far more than blacks or Mexicans. Just because a black student gets aid money does not mean that a poor white studnt wonít, if anything its likely that because there are so many poor whites going to the top 14 there is just not enough $ to give you as much. Itís the other poor whites screwing you over, not the balcks. In the end when you graduate the poor whites will still far outnumber the blacks, poor or rich. Youíre a majority in law school applications, your over represented.

Look everyone wants to go to the top law schools (well everyone but me I guess) but we all canít do it. Just because a handful of blacks gets an edge because thousands of them got screwed in the past does not mean youíre getting screwed over now. And even if it did, lifeís not fair, itís not equal, and you donít solve that by blaming others for your misfortune. Your just likes lots of people, economically disadvantaged white folks, youíre going to be well represented (even if not you individually) at the top law schools. You can still go to law school, and with your LSAT getting money or even a free ride at several. So its not Yale. So I donít want to be bald, but thatís life, I am, Iím not blaming all the folks with hair from taking that from me or thinking its unfair some folks can afford plugs but I can't.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2008, 12:06:49 PM »

That in no way means a black student is taking your spot. Even if you could get in, your still not a minority, there will be lots of other poor whites kids going there. You wonít we the only disadvantaged white kid in the top 14, in fact there will be lots of you, far more than blacks or Mexicans. Just because a black student gets aid money does not mean that a poor white studnt wonít, if anything its likely that because there are so many poor whites going to the top 14 there is just not enough $ to give you as much. Itís the other poor whites screwing you over, not the balcks. In the end when you graduate the poor whites will still far outnumber the blacks, poor or rich. Youíre a majority in law school applications, your over represented.

Look everyone wants to go to the top law schools (well everyone but me I guess) but we all canít do it. Just because a handful of blacks gets an edge because thousands of them got screwed in the past does not mean youíre getting screwed over now. And even if it did, lifeís not fair, itís not equal, and you donít solve that by blaming others for your misfortune. Your just likes lots of people, economically disadvantaged white folks, youíre going to be well represented (even if not you individually) at the top law schools. You can still go to law school, and with your LSAT getting money or even a free ride at several. So its not Yale. So I donít want to be bald, but thatís life, I am, Iím not blaming all the folks with hair from taking that from me or thinking its unfair some folks can afford plugs but I can't.

And what the @#!* are they still doing in a single-wide trailer? Exactly how long does it take to get their poo together, especially on the backs of minorities? You'd think even his parents (how many generations of Americans?) would have gotten organized by the 1960s when discrimination against blacks stopped*.

* it didn't

I know! Things were tough in the late 60ís for grandpa Matthies, when we started having to pay blacks the real minimum wage and with the crash in cotton prices due to the popularity of polyester we had to sell off part of the family plantation. Luckily by the mid 70s Pappy Matthies had discovered the joys of employing illegal Mexicans for pennies a day and since then our tobacco fields and the asbestos plant we built have been thriving. The key, I think, and where many whites lost out after the racial ďequalizationĒ of the late 60s was not grasping soon enough that they needed to move on to exploit another minority quickly. I for one have learned from that mistake and am now eyeing the anti-Hispanic immigration movement with some trepidation. Iím not sure who we can exploit next, possible east Asian immigrants or the Irish if they get kicked out of the EU for not ratifying the new Constitution.

Iím just glad that the majority of white folks out there can still say with a straight face they have not benefitted from the exploitation of illegal Mexican slave labor when they buy a watermelon or pears in December grown and picked in California for 25 cents. Because we all know it would still cost that if we had to pay white people the minimum wage to pick it.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2008, 01:14:05 PM »

Yes, good thing you're around in 2008 when all of that racial discrimination is just a thing of the (distant) past.

Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »
It's enough in the past that I don't see it being a problem in everyday life. When's the last time you saw someone being asked to give up their bus seat because they were black or the last time that you saw segregated water fountains?  Certainly, there are some idiot holdouts, but AA just drives that wedge in deeper.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2008, 01:19:54 PM »
It's enough in the past that I don't see it being a problem in everyday life. When's the last time you saw someone being asked to give up their bus seat because they were black or the last time that you saw segregated water fountains?  Certainly, there are some idiot holdouts, but AA just drives that wedge in deeper.

I sincerely hope you're f-ing around or just flame.

Just spitballing ideas here, but maybe you don't see it being a problem because you're not the target.  HTH!
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French