Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why I don't agree with AA  (Read 21950 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Why I don't agree with AA
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2008, 12:55:07 PM »
Here is what I don't get, I'm paying an assload of propertyy taxes for public schools I never used, nor will every use, and they give free lunchs to poor kids. WTF if you can afford a PBJ sammich for your kid you should not be having them. I mean when I take my dog to doggie day care, I gotta pay for food, the g-ment does not subsidise my dogs food while he's at school (I've been pet sitting a freinds dog for three weeks now).
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2008, 11:50:23 PM »
^Dude, you are going to sprain something trying that hard. Good one though! I like the whole poor kids=animals thing ya did there.

kono

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2008, 10:17:59 AM »
AA is racial discrimnation (by definition). Most people in this country believe that racial discrimination is wrong and there is no circumstance that can justify racial discrimination. For those that believe there are places where racial discrimination is proper, this begs the question of when else is racial discrimination acceptable? Many believe that AA promotes racial discrimination and heads the country in the wrong direction. Thus, acceptance of racial discrimination leads to racism.

Has there ever been a court case challenging who checks the little box designating race? If you are Obama and 50% black can you designate yourself black? If you are 10% can you designate yourself? How about if you believed the human race evolved in Africa and some ancient ancestor must have been black? I am quite sure that more and more people are checking the little box to get a boost, regardless of their ethnic background.

TimMitchell

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2008, 10:43:28 AM »
AA is racial discrimnation (by definition). Most people in this country believe that racial discrimination is wrong and there is no circumstance that can justify racial discrimination. For those that believe there are places where racial discrimination is proper, this begs the question of when else is racial discrimination acceptable? Many believe that AA promotes racial discrimination and heads the country in the wrong direction. Thus, acceptance of racial discrimination leads to racism.

Has there ever been a court case challenging who checks the little box designating race? If you are Obama and 50% black can you designate yourself black? If you are 10% can you designate yourself? How about if you believed the human race evolved in Africa and some ancient ancestor must have been black? I am quite sure that more and more people are checking the little box to get a boost, regardless of their ethnic background.

Exactly

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2008, 11:33:58 AM »
AA is racial discrimnation (by definition). Most people in this country believe that racial discrimination is wrong and there is no circumstance that can justify racial discrimination. For those that believe there are places where racial discrimination is proper, this begs the question of when else is racial discrimination acceptable?

So its ok for whites to reap the benefits of laws enforcing racial discrimination for 250 years, then defacto discrimination for another 100 years until the late 1960s. A legacy the practically kept all blacks out of the law school, much less top law schools, and almost entirely out of the legal profession until the last 30. All that discrimination was OK, but reverse discrimination is not. Because now the discrimination is against whites so its bad? So, what your saying is it cool for whites to discriminate, but not for blacks. We have moved away from that, all discrimination, even if it helped us in the past is bad now, if it hurts us now.

Besides, its not like the 10-20% of all applicants who are minorities who check that box are taking your spots in reality, you should be far more angry at all those poor white kids and women who donít know their place taking your spots, they are the ones driving up the applications and filling the schools, not minorities. 30 years ago it was easy to get into any law school, no minorities to worry about, no women to worry about, and no mass of social climbing povs applying to the schools. Higher education was for white males of higher social class only. Now everyone thinks they ďdeserveĒ a legal education, so we have so many applicants, so many law schools, precisely because every coal miners daughter from a Tennessee trailer park thinks she deserves the right to try being a lawyer.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

kono

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2008, 05:45:04 PM »
I am arguing that racial discrimination is wrong. I am saying that if we accept racial discrimination for education, we open the door for other forms of racial discrimination. We cannot heal the past, but we can move in the right direction. Clearly, you believe in racial discrimination. I do not share your view. 

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2008, 05:52:17 PM »
The diversity argument is stupid.

Historical restitution is a very valid reason.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2008, 06:06:51 PM »
I am arguing that racial discrimination is wrong. I am saying that if we accept racial discrimination for education, we open the door for other forms of racial discrimination. We cannot heal the past, but we can move in the right direction. Clearly, you believe in racial discrimination. I do not share your view. 

So would you be willing to give up everything that, even tangentially you or your  ancestors gained while racial discrimination was the norm for it cease today? Sell your house, take part of your income to pay reparations for the past injustices done to blacks by whites in this country, if it meant AA ended today?

Or are you only willing to say reverse discrimination is bad now as a way to make up for past discrimination only because you itís affecting you as a white person now. We canít change the past, just like we canít change the fact that we have benefited as whites, even if remotely, even if before our births, from the discrimination of blacks in the past.

That today there are far more white lawyers than black lawyers precisely because for a long time you could not be a black lawyer. We have a large old boy network of whites to hire new white lawyers, whites running firms, whites as judges, when shock of shock whites are barely a majority of the population in the country, yet still the far majority in the legal profession. Simply saying ďoh poo discrimination was bad, so letís just end it now that Iím feeling the sting because 1% of the applicants get an advantage over me as a white doodĒ is not an argument against AA. Your hands are not as clean as you would like them to be and your argument is overly simplistic.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2008, 06:08:10 PM »

I think he's joking about a lot of what he says - don't get too worked up.

Yea I was joking about the stimuls check part, but the womenz and the poors screwing up the leagl admission process is totally serious stuff.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2008, 06:18:17 PM »
Totally.