Author Topic: .  (Read 4634 times)

theor

• View Profile
« on: June 22, 2008, 08:57:07 PM »

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
what are you doing now and what do you consider bottom of class?

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
I am a federal attorney in one of the administrative agencies, mostly litigation work in a article I court.  However, I will be joining the DOJ or an US Att. Office shortly.

What's a typical career path to work at a U.S. Attorney's Office? What do they look for?

Edited.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

TimMitchell

How hard was it finding a job? Did you want firm jobs and settle for government or just decide to work with government? If you had firm offers, how about biglaw? What was your LSAT (just for LSAT/Ranking correlation) and finally why do you think you were at the bottom of the class/what could you have done to do better?

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
I am a federal attorney in one of the administrative agencies, mostly litigation work in a article I court.  However, I will be joining the DOJ or an US Att. Office shortly.

What's a typical career path to work at a U.S. Attorney's Office? What do they look for?

Edited.

I don't think there is a typical career path.  Just get a job where you do a lot of litigation.  They have former DAs, big law associates, and other people from federal government transfers like myself.

Hmmm... Thanks.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What's the one piece of law school (and/or law career) advice you wish you had been given (or, that you got and wish you had taken)?

Knowing what you know now, would you still have chosen Chicago? I assume you got, or could've gotten, significant money at more regional schools; did you make the right call to go with the name?
UVA Law Class of 2011

secondsblue

• View Profile
What's the one piece of law school (and/or law career) advice you wish you had been given (or, that you got and wish you had taken)?

Knowing what you know now, would you still have chosen Chicago? I assume you got, or could've gotten, significant money at more regional schools; did you make the right call to go with the name?
"how are you coping with the loans now?  Did you pay most of them off?

The LLM route sounds very scary.  I guess I'll just try to get a NYC job if my grades aren't hot."

I was fortunate insofar as I was unfortunate enough to be in major financial need.  Chicago came through for me with a large scholarship that matched what was offered me from most other schools.  The first thing I thought when I got my LSAT was, "I can get full tuition to Thiomas Jefferson!"  No kidding.  On the other hand, I had to take out more loans for the LLM.  Totalling about 145k, I pay about 1/3 my salary in loans.  It hurts.

I am glad I chose Chicago.  While in the LL.M. program I got more interviews than anyone else thanks to that name.  Essentially, once I stopped competing with other UofC grads it made a huge difference.  While at UofC, doing OCI, it made no difference because I was only being compared to other UofC students.  Out in the real world, my UofC degree gets my foot in a lot of doors.  Now that I've had my first job and have learned to interview very well, I know that the sky is the limit.  I still get calls from headhunters thanks to this degree, no one I work with does.  I also get this presumption of intelligence from my coworkers.  I sometimes wonder whether I should have gone to UCLA, who knows how that would have turned out.  All is well that ends well, so I wouldn't change a thing.  I can say that I owe a lot to the UChicago education, my current job, my wife, my kid, friends, maturity, meeting great professors (including Barack), and so on.  I am beyond regret.

I do wish I had more money or no loans, but if I really wanted to I could start responding to the head hunters.  I take that back, my wife won't let me.  She wants me at home.

I would dump the kids and the wife and dedicate myself to the dollar. As the visionary Lil Wayne once wrote, "I got a lot of loot and I ain't lookin' for a lady."

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
What did the people that you knew with worse grades do? How did OCI go for them? (If you know)

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
Do you feel that your experience is representative of people with your grade situation? Did any of your classmates who were in your situation have better success by being more focused (e.g., the corporate tax example you gave)? Do you think you would have been better served by looking for some jobs in a low-demand specialty (e.g. admiralty law) where a U of C degree would presumably go further than in generic "biglaw"?

I don't mean to stick my nose into a place where it's not wanted, but I have to quibble with you here. Who wouldn't want to be a pirate lawyer?

snickersnicker

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - shinjikid@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - klutzonbroadway
    • View Profile
    • Email
I never drank before that, was straight edge (but not religious).

How was going to LS and being straight edge? I'm edge and vegan (and have been for eleven and seven years, respectively). Everyone says I'll be bald and have sky-high blood pressure by the time I finish 1L if I don't break edge, but I don't see the latter happening.

Totally unrelated, but were/are you involved in the straight edge/hardcore/punk music scene at all? I always get a kick out of finding punk/hardcore kids who go on to white collar jobs.
LSAT: 166 (:()
UGPA: 4
LSN