Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: still on waitlist!  (Read 17675 times)

Need Help!

• View Profile
Re: still on waitlist!
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 02:26:43 AM »
BTW, I was told from my waitlisted school that their WL is not ranked, so can someone explain me how do they pick people out of 200/300/ or maybe 500  :-[

ohthehugemanatee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 12:00:32 PM »
BTW, I was told from my waitlisted school that their WL is not ranked, so can someone explain me how do they pick people out of 200/300/ or maybe 500  :-[

I think two ways:

Example 1: Admitted student who is black with an LSAT of 162-165 and a gpa of 3.2-3.5 backs out of a seat - the committee finds a person on the waitlist with similar characteristics and numbers.

Example 2: There is an open seat, and the admitted students for the coming year have a cumulative gpa that is lower than previous years - the committee finds a person on the waitlist that has a 3.85.

Need Help!

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 12:25:34 PM »
so what happens if I am not like any of their categories ...so I am screwed  :'(

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 12:29:55 PM »
I think they keep a few "oddballs" on there, with the intention of offering them a seat only if they can't get anybody with better numbers.

This describes me with my waitlist, I think. My numbers are so far below their 25% that it is puzzling why I am on there at all. I have a pretty unique situation though. I think they tossed me on there in the event that everybody with decent numbers declines on the second day of classes, at least they can call somebody who is interesting.

Need Help!

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 12:42:03 PM »
should I go ump off the cliff now .... :'( I waited for almost 3 months for nothing...this is not fair..I am going to call them now.either  get an answer or they shred my application lol

Need Help!

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 12:52:25 PM »
Ok guys..I just called ... a lady said their WL is not ranked..then I told her if they take people who have similar criterias to those who have dropped..

she said: No, this is not how this works..they review all those applications, and they choose lets say 5 out of that WL.. I don't know if this is true for other schools too or not...I just know I am dying..ok we all need to stay hopeful..common people, we waited so long, and we need to go to the end of this...I wish we would all get in.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 12:56:42 PM »
Yeah, but what makes them choose the 5? I'd bet similar (or higher) GPA/ LSAT to the person who dropped.

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 07:20:24 PM »
I talked to a nice lady in admissions today that couldn't/wouldn't tell me if they had begun pulling people from the waitlist.  The two people that are in charge of admissions are on vacation this week  >:(.  I won't know ANYTHING till middle of next week at the earliest.
University of Oklahoma '11

moops

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 07:40:09 PM »

I got a call from one of my WL schools today asking if I am still interested, but stopping short of actually offering me a seat.  I of course said yes, but now the next few days/weeks will be filled with nervous and incessant e-mail and phone message checking. 

justice4all

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 07:52:47 PM »
which schools are all you wl at?