Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Experience with These Firms?  (Read 3432 times)

ProfessorPlum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Georgetown Law 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Experience with These Firms?
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 12:39:15 AM »
Sorry for the ignorance, but what exactly is "early interview week?"  My school doesn't offer this and I'm starting to feel left out   :(

Some schools have employers come to do on-campus interviews the week before classes start for 2L.  The interviews are for 2L law firm summer associate positions.
hoia saxa

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 10:00:40 AM »
No I am not at Paul Weiss; I've just heard great things about their litigation practice and they were the first name that came to mind when the OP said litigation and NY.

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 10:29:26 AM »
On the Paul Weiss note be sure to learn a lot about the personality of the firm.  I have known several people who have worked there and didn't like it all.  Mainly because the firm simply didn't fit their personality.  They described it as a very "loud" firm where if you make a mistake expect to get yelled at.  Also, it doesn't have much of a "laid back" atmosphere.  These guys moved to another very highly regarded firm and are much happy.

I am sure Paul Weiss is a great place for some people but be sure to learn as much about the culture as possible because there are awesome law firms out there that will fit just about any personality, including Paul Weiss if their culture suits you.

I don't know too much about the other firms besides Fulbright & Jaworski as I have known several attorneys from there who really seemed to enjoy their job.  Another firm worth adding to the list is Debevouise and Plimpton (however, you spell it).  I've heard amazing things about that firm and their culture.
Boalt Hall '10

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 10:32:18 AM »
I'd like to suggest that the above advice on firm personality be applied to all firms.

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 10:43:16 AM »
I'd like to suggest that the above advice on firm personality be applied to all firms.

Definitely.  Just using Paul Weiss as an example, not singling it out.  I firmly believe one of the most important factors, if not the most important factor in choosing between  firms is the culture of that firm. 
Boalt Hall '10

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 10:53:27 AM »
Mike: yeah I know you were using them as an example.  I was just saying it was good general advice in case that unclear to anyone.  (Maybe it wasn't but oh well.)

Best-Legal-Aid.com

• Check out www.Best-Legal-Aid.com for free advice
    • View Profile
    • Best-Legal-Aid.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 10:41:36 AM »
Kramer Levin has a good reputation for paying well and having a good quality of life for a NY firm
Check out www.Best-Legal-Aid.com for free advice on passing law school and the bar exam!