Law School Discussion

"Black's Law Dictionary" - Useful?

Thistle

• View Profile
Re: "Black's Law Dictionary" - Useful?
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 07:53:14 AM »
useless. I dont even think that the dictionary is considered a secondary authority. The best definition of words are in the cases. And that is what you are expected to cite anyway. When you are studying, horn books and treatises provide other sources of definitions that are useful.

ummm, yeah, its a secondary authority.  and very useful when there are NO cases that define a particular word, concept, or doctrine; or there are split decisions.  i have been asked more than once by judges at both local and appellate level during motion hearings or argument how black's defined something.

ps.  dont tell me what i'm expected to cite.

The OP was talking about LAW SCHOOL. That is what I was referring to. And in LAW SCHOOL, you will need to go above and beyond the 10 word definition in Blacks dictionary for briefs, journal articles, etc. That's if you want a good grade. In many cases, words are defined differently in each jurisdiction, and a cookie cutter definition from Black's isn't going to help you.

And when you can't find a case in your jurisdiction that defines a word, then that is when you look to other similar jurisdictions to see how they defined the word. Then you use that jurisdiction's definition as persuasive secondary authority. But in most cases, there will be a seminal treatise, legal primer, or Restatement that is followed and respected by lawyers in the field. So when you can't find a word defined in a case, there will be many more sources to wade through even before you pick up a Black's dictionary.   

thats why its a SECONDARY AUTHORITY

ben, you really come off as an unsufferable know-it-all.  quite annoying, actually.

pps:  dont tell me how to research, either.

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 08:07:58 AM »
useless. I dont even think that the dictionary is considered a secondary authority. The best definition of words are in the cases. And that is what you are expected to cite anyway. When you are studying, horn books and treatises provide other sources of definitions that are useful.

ummm, yeah, its a secondary authority.  and very useful when there are NO cases that define a particular word, concept, or doctrine; or there are split decisions.  i have been asked more than once by judges at both local and appellate level during motion hearings or argument how black's defined something.

ps.  dont tell me what i'm expected to cite.

The OP was talking about LAW SCHOOL. That is what I was referring to. And in LAW SCHOOL, you will need to go above and beyond the 10 word definition in Blacks dictionary for briefs, journal articles, etc. That's if you want a good grade. In many cases, words are defined differently in each jurisdiction, and a cookie cutter definition from Black's isn't going to help you.

And when you can't find a case in your jurisdiction that defines a word, then that is when you look to other similar jurisdictions to see how they defined the word. Then you use that jurisdiction's definition as persuasive secondary authority. But in most cases, there will be a seminal treatise, legal primer, or Restatement that is followed and respected by lawyers in the field. So when you can't find a word defined in a case, there will be many more sources to wade through even before you pick up a Black's dictionary.   

thats why its a SECONDARY AUTHORITY

ben, you really come off as an unsufferable know-it-all.  quite annoying, actually.

pps:  dont tell me how to research, either.

??? ??? ???

Who are you? You seem to have the worst attitude problem. It is very annoying. It started back with my other post. Geez. You are so tightly wound. Relax.

I'm sorry but you do not know my name. Great job snooping on my username though. But I would like to inform you that it represents the slang word for money. Ha ha...I would never put my real name on the Internet.   But nice try anyway. ;D :D

ps-I think my way of researching would get me the better grade.

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 08:41:17 AM »
ANTL: Intentionally or not (I think you're trying to be helpful) you rub people the wrong way.  Please stop...

• Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 08:58:35 AM »
ANTL: Intentionally or not (I think you're trying to be helpful) you rub people the wrong way.  Please stop...

No, no I am familiar with this. The insecure people get intimidated by my moniker. That is why she attacked me in my posting on the other board-out of the blue. I'm just not the type of person to tolerate being attacked for not reason. In this thread, a few other people also said that the dictionary would be useless. But for some reason, she gets an attitude with me. That shows that there are some deeper issues at play.

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 09:23:36 AM »
 ::)

in the other thread, someone compared you to a poster named wii.  i merely said that if not for your post count, i would be suspicious that you were just another one of his bitter alts.

if you read that as an attack, its you with insecurity issues.  i even deleted that post because i didnt want others to take it wrong.

oh, btw, and didnt others in that thread object to the way you come across?  http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4013169.0.html

then, in this thread, i merely say what i use it for, and you then proceed to tell me that i not only dont know what a secondary source is, but what i am expected to cite.  deny jumping me if you want, your intent is plain.

oh, and yes, i am SO intimidated by your....your....dare i say it....your USERNAME.   :D :D :D

the only "deeper issues" in play are that you come across (and not only to me) as an abrasive know-it-all, who accuses everyone who disagrees with you of being an adcomm.  i called you on it, and you dont like it. 

get over yourself.

• Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 11:06:12 AM »
pardon me while I soil my trousers at your splendor. ::)

Lol, ah don't worry. I can refer you to a pair of Depends diapers. I hear that they are very big with the senior crowd that has a similar problem.

• Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2008, 11:14:09 AM »
::)

in the other thread, someone compared you to a poster named wii.  i merely said that if not for your post count, i would be suspicious that you were just another one of his bitter alts.

if you read that as an attack, its you with insecurity issues.  i even deleted that post because i didnt want others to take it wrong.

oh, btw, and didnt others in that thread object to the way you come across?  http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4013169.0.html

then, in this thread, i merely say what i use it for, and you then proceed to tell me that i not only dont know what a secondary source is, but what i am expected to cite.  deny jumping me if you want, your intent is plain.

oh, and yes, i am SO intimidated by your....your....dare i say it....your USERNAME.   :D :D :D

the only "deeper issues" in play are that you come across (and not only to me) as an abrasive know-it-all, who accuses everyone who disagrees with you of being an adcomm.  i called you on it, and you dont like it. 

get over yourself.

This is funny. I will entertain this for a while though.  If a person were to read what you wrote in response to what I wrote in this thread, they would think that there was some sort of issue between us.

"ummm, yeah, its a secondary authority.  and very useful when there are NO cases that define a particular word, concept, or doctrine; or there are split decisions.  i have been asked more than once by judges at both local and appellate level during motion hearings or argument how black's defined something.

ps.  dont tell me what i'm expected to cite."

Who was telling you what you are expected to cite??? ??? ??? Who is telling you how to do research???? ??? I dont even know who the heck you are.  I loved the tone of that post though. It was cynical with a twinge of pompous sarcasm. So I had to return with a response. ::)

• Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2008, 11:20:22 AM »

Lol, ah don't worry. I can refer you to a pair of Depends diapers. I hear that they are very big with the senior crowd that has a similar problem.

looking at that picture, it makes me think that's the voice of experience, not anecdote.

:D Good one. If only that were true. Don't worry, I know a few associates who got hired despite their old age and the occasional senior moments. So there is still hope for you. You'll be fine old sport.

• Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2008, 11:28:14 AM »

looking at that picture, it makes me think that's the voice of experience, not anecdote.

:D Good one. If only that were true. Don't worry, I know a few associates who got hired despite their old age and the occasional senior moments. So there is still hope for you. You'll be fine old sport.

are you still looking for internet hump buddies? my dad's kind of lonely, and he's into older women.

But judging from your age, he would be either in his hundreds or cryogencially frozen. Thats too old. Thanks but no thanks.

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2008, 11:29:11 AM »
I should know by now not to click on any of SA links, but I do everytime, anyway