Law School Discussion

"Black's Law Dictionary" - Useful?

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: "Black's Law Dictionary" - Useful?
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 07:05:03 PM »
it's on westlaw. and the westlaw one has the definitions from many different editions not just the current one. 

I had a professor that required us to get one and look up words during the first few weeks of the semester during class.  Yep, he was weirdo. 

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 09:20:41 PM »
it's on westlaw. and the westlaw one has the definitions from many different editions not just the current one.   

Yup, it is, in fact, on Westlaw.  And Westlaw stops being free after you graduate.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 07:00:33 AM »

Yup, it is, in fact, on Westlaw.  And Westlaw stops being free after you graduate.

Yup, that sucks

Pearl

• I AM THE LAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 07:24:43 AM »
Just out of curiosity, why does anyone need Black's at all after the first few weeks of law school?

vap

• Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 08:52:13 AM »
Just out of curiosity, why does anyone need Black's at all after the first few weeks of law school?

Learning is a life-long process.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 09:15:11 AM »

you could use that same argument for other dictionaries as well.  No one knows all the definitions the first few weeks or even the first few years. 

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 09:55:54 AM »
Thank god for my hardcopy leather-bound Blackís Law Dictionary, its literally saved my life. You see my house was built in 1885, and the door to my home office is a lot off center with 100+ years of settling, so it closes on its own. And its heavy, solid wood, and the original door knob has a bad habit of jamming solid when the door closes, locking me in. So I tried a shoe, a door stop, even a big rock, the heavy door easily pushed those out of the way. But, the big Blacks, no way, its solid. It has held that door open 24/7 for four years now. Iíve never actually looked up anything in it, but as a door stop I canít recommend it enough.

vap

• Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 10:14:29 AM »
Thank god for my hardcopy leather-bound Blackís Law Dictionary, its literally saved my life. You see my house was built in 1885, and the door to my home office is a lot off center with 100+ years of settling, so it closes on its own. And its heavy, solid wood, and the original door knob has a bad habit of jamming solid when the door closes, locking me in. So I tried a shoe, a door stop, even a big rock, the heavy door easily pushed those out of the way. But, the big Blacks, no way, its solid. It has held that door open 24/7 for four years now. Iíve never actually looked up anything in it, but as a door stop I canít recommend it enough.

<----- Sacrificing a second lamb.

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 06:58:53 PM »
Personally, I carry the 3rd pocket edition in my bag all semester long. It usually gets tossed on the desk before class starts while my laptop is turning on. For me, it's easier to just look up a word in the pocket edition rather than try to do it on Westlaw.
Not sure I'd feel the same way about the big hardbound version though...
Rob

Talk Is Cheap

• F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 02:09:18 AM »
So I guess I'm not wasting my money on this...