Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.76 at top 20  (Read 2452 times)

Marie

• View Profile
3.76 at top 20
« on: June 20, 2008, 06:39:11 PM »
I ended up with a 3.76 after my 1L year at a top 20 (but not T14) school, and I want to work at a big firm in LA and/or DC next summer. I have no connection to either city, though.
I realize that I'm in pretty good shape, but how competitive will my GPA be at firms like Latham & Watkins? WIll the fact that I'm working at a big Southern firm this summer or that my Spring GPA was 3.96 help me?

Marie

• View Profile
Re: 3.76 at top 20
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 06:50:46 PM »
Depends on the class.
For contracts, I started with offer and acceptance and just moved down the line until I got to damages and made sure I picked up all the issues.
That was my most "structured" exam.
For the most part, I just answer the question given. No bull and no fluff.

redbull

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 07:40:01 PM »
doesn't your school have callback analysis? 

Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 07:40:57 PM »
doesn't your school have callback analysis? 

not that I know of

Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 08:26:30 AM »
I go to UT.
Curve is 3.30.
They don't rank us. They only tell you if you're in the top 25% or not. Usually, you need around a 3.6-3.64 to be in the top 25%

Imactuallya2Lnow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 08:50:40 AM »
I am in almost the EXACT same position (including wanting DC...but not LA), so I'd be interested in any responses as well.

It looks like UT's curve is a 3.3, so I would think that puts you at top 15%ish percent...my impression is that it gets your foot in the door for a first round interview at all but the very top firms, who only go for top-10 schools anyway.

But like I said, I'd love to hear what other's think; I'm around top 10-15% at a non-t14 top 20 school myself...

Thanks!

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 09:15:27 AM »
I think you are destined to work as a public defender.

I seriously get really tired of these threads.  "Please compliment me on how well off on my career path I am" ought to be the title.  The worst are the ones who actually make a complaint: "I got my first B at a T10 school, I am so annoyed, should I drop out?" 

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 09:16:45 AM »
I ended up with a 3.76 after my 1L year at a top 20 (but not T14) school, and I want to work at a big firm in LA and/or DC next summer. I have no connection to either city, though.
I realize that I'm in pretty good shape, but how competitive will my GPA be at firms like Latham & Watkins? WIll the fact that I'm working at a big Southern firm this summer or that my Spring GPA was 3.96 help me?

That might help you, but it will likely be outweighed by your abysmal personality and lack of tact.

Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 12:54:41 PM »
wow. bitter much?
It's a totally legitimate question. I'm not asking if I'm doing OK or destined to work as a public defender. I'm asking if I can work at some of the top firms in two of the best legal markets in the country. It's not at all clear that I can.
This is my last post on the topic, though. I wasn't looking for an argument.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 06:35:36 PM »
I don't think the higher GPA will matter much.  I think the cumulative will matter more.  I think you have the grades to do well in DC but they're not so overwhelmingly good that you don't need to be on top of things in other areas.  UT doesn't seem to have deep roots in DC either.  Just be able to talk through your resume intelligently, be prepared for likely interview questions, know something about the firm so that you can ask intelligent questions.

I imagine most of this is applicable to LA as well but I don't really know that market very well.