Law School Discussion

-

-
« on: June 20, 2008, 12:56:48 PM »
-

bt

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 3.84/169/Poor 'soft' record: What's realistic for me? T14 at all?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 12:59:14 PM »
I think you've got a good shot at Northwestern down + Berkeley.  A 169 is not a bad score and your GPA is excellent.  Softs count, but unless you mean they're poor as in negative (bad record) rather than just poor as in average (nothing special), then I think you're in at at least 2-3 of the T14.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 01:05:07 PM »
I would apply to every school in the T14 + a few backups. I'm serious.

Soft factors are a crapshoot, but your numbers put you within the 25/75 range for all save HYS.

bt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 02:15:55 PM »
Seriously, don't worry about that.  I have tutored for a couple years and was involved with student govt.  Other than that, notta.  The fact is, you're not giving yourself enough credit for that 3.84 and as I said, a 169 is a strong LSAT for the bottom half of the T14.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 05:37:48 PM »
I cracked the T14 with a 169/3.4. I have decent softs, but nothing application-changing I don't think.

That said, I curse the use of "T14". I think it's a perfectly stupid place to draw a distinction.

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 06:05:21 PM »

Soft factors are a crapshoot, but your numbers put you within the 25/75 range for all save HYS.

agreed

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 07:29:26 PM »

TITCR. Spam the top 20 and you'll be solid.

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 07:46:45 PM »
But why would he want to go to any of these T20 schools?  He should either ED an MVP school or go to Boalt.

Safeties/options. I mean, if UCLA or USC give him a generous scholarship, he might want to consider that. If everything goes right, you should only have to apply to law schools once. Might as well go balls out and see what options you end up with.

bt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 09:39:06 PM »
But why would he want to go to any of these T20 schools?  He should either ED an MVP school or go to Boalt.

Safeties/options. I mean, if UCLA or USC give him a generous scholarship, he might want to consider that. If everything goes right, you should only have to apply to law schools once. Might as well go balls out and see what options you end up with.

Eh.  If I were him, I would ED a CCN (Chicago or NYU might be a good choice), and hope for the best with BoaltMVP.  With the OP's numbers, there's no need to throw safeties beyond Cornell and GULC into the mix.

LRAP programs should cover him well if he wants Public Interest or non-traditional work, unless he's damn confident about his law school exam capabilities. 

<-- continues to parrot advice he's heard before, feels bad for not going out tonight

I agree with this.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 04:42:56 PM »

Eh.  If I were him, I would ED a CCN (Chicago or NYU might be a good choice), and hope for the best with BoaltMVP.  With the OP's numbers, there's no need to throw safeties beyond Cornell and GULC into the mix.

LRAP programs should cover him well if he wants Public Interest or non-traditional work, unless he's damn confident about his law school exam capabilities. 

<-- continues to parrot advice he's heard before, feels bad for not going out tonight

I agree with this.

Haha, I'm a GIRL! But ok. Yeah, I am interested in government or public work.. or private work, but nothing that resembles big firms. I am not looking to be a partner. I will take everyone's advice except I will only apply to the schools I could imagine attending. I think most of them are fine. Thank you all.