• Email
-
« on: June 20, 2008, 01:19:53 PM »
-
Yep.

Em Woods

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I've Been Feeling Increasingly Right-Wing Lately. Normal?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 01:27:43 PM »
I think it is the norm people become more conservative as they get older. Life experiences harden the notions of giving out the 2nd, 3rd, 4th chance to people and I think a lot of people settle into the mindset that all these government initiatives don't work and they are just a waste of money. Having key platforms of the Democratic party fizzle out hurts and it's hard to see these ideals not work out time and time again.

...that being said, there's no way in Hell I'd vote Republican and I find myself agreeing with every post Julie Ferm writes. I don't think I share your issue, but I understand where it's coming from.
"Anything easy ain't worth a damn" - Coach Woody Hayes

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 01:32:20 PM »
I used to be a gushing liberal fanboy, but, as I get older, I feel increasingly conservative.  I'm frustrated by the democratic party for which I voted in late 2006 (that has done little), and I'm similarly frustrated by what I see as nothing more than an emotionally-driven belief in Obama's messiah-like excellence.

Ideologically, I'm turned off by standard conservative notions like right to life and free-market, but, by the same token, I feel that the democratic party is too inept to institute liberal policies.  To make matters worse, my own political encounters have been 1) student loans, where I feel like the democrats made a HUGE mistake with their programs (free market would have been better for purposes of keeping tuition levels sane) and 2) I earn little and the federal income taxes take much from a single without considering my high COL area.  I'm feeling increasingly sympathetic toward the idea of a small government, particularly a small federal one.

Could you explain (1) a little more - I'm curious as to how you view the Democratic programs (what are these) and their role re: increasing tuition?

Also, I slightly disagree with (2) - I don't make much money at all, and I feel the tax I pay is laughable (and in fact, I get most if not all of it back anyway). But I suppose this depends on exactly how much you make and where you live...
Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

theprocrastinator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 01:58:10 PM »
Eh, I used to be a 'gushing liberal fanboy' too, but have become a lot more conservative when it comes to economic issues lately, especially free trade.

I'm still liberal through and through on most social issues though. I don't think that will ever change. Its in my blood. 

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 02:36:35 PM »
I used to be more conservative but became more liberal as I aged. I don't think the problems you see are a product of the Republican/Democrat dichotomy. I think they are a product of the growing disconnect between the ruling class and the ruled class. No president has the power to bridge that chasm and pull the sides together, but I think the majority of the country feels like Barack Obama will at least work to not make it worse. It's a little sad that people are so excited about a few baby steps to the left.
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

Billy Mays here FOREVER!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 03:49:52 PM »
God, compared to you guys, I'm a fascist  :)

dsetterl

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 04:04:33 PM »
I really used to be more political in general when I was younger and angsty. I am bored with politics now I guess. I really don't feel like any of the candidates represent me at all. I find myself at a moderate political position and skeptical about all politicians in general.

==caI==

• Sr. Citizen
  • dog in a party hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 05:04:44 PM »
My heart is actually more conservative than my brain.  Weird?
pay attention to me.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 07:02:29 PM »
I think it is the norm people become more conservative as they get older. Life experiences harden the notions of giving out the 2nd, 3rd, 4th chance to people and I think a lot of people settle into the mindset that all these government initiatives don't work and they are just a waste of money. Having key platforms of the Democratic party fizzle out hurts and it's hard to see these ideals not work out time and time again.

...that being said, there's no way in Hell I'd vote Republican and I find myself agreeing with every post Julie Ferm writes. I don't think I share your issue, but I understand where it's coming from.

you fine american.

nobody say democrats perfect.  they just better.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 07:04:32 PM »
God, compared to you guys, I'm a fascist :)

we all knew that.