Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Studying For The Bar...Well, Trying.  (Read 1936 times)

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
Studying For The Bar...Well, Trying.
« on: June 20, 2008, 12:18:49 AM »
I came back to Michigan for the week to see my friends and family, and to study for the bar. I do most of my studying at the Barnes & Noble by my parents’ house. It’s been my favorite study location for a decade, only last year, that started to change when the nearby retirement homes started bussing their female residents to the bookstore to 1) play bridge, 2) ask me whether I would marry their granddaughters.

These women are loud and I can’t get much reading done with them around. Apparently I’m not alone; a few months ago, the store put up signs that say, “Game playing is welcome before noon and after 5pm.” The rule was perfect because that’s when I study.

So…the past few days, two groups of four women have been flouting the prohibition. And the Barnes & Noble café workers didn’t have the guts to enforce the prohibition.

Sure, NOW it’s just two groups of four women…but next month…

The “Broken Window Theory” of crime prevention says that it is easier to solve a small problem before it becomes a big problem. For example, if one person spray paints the side of a building a small area you want to clean that area up before more people add their spray paint tags to the building making it a big issue.

Wikipedia explains that Mayor Giuliani used the Broken Window theory when he had the police strictly enforce the law against subway fare evasion, and stopped public drinkers, urinators, and the "squeegee men" who had been wiping windshields of stopped cars and demanding payment. Rates of both petty and serious crime fell suddenly and significantly, and continued to drop for the following ten years.

So….should I print the wikipedia Broken Window Theory entry out and give it to the Barnes & Noble workers anonymously?

Rick’s Blog

hbb

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Studying For The Bar...Well, Trying.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 12:55:25 AM »
So….should I print the wikipedia Broken Window Theory entry out and give it to the Barnes & Noble workers anonymously?

No, no - simply mentioning your blog should keep most people away from you...

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 12:27:07 AM »

No, no - simply mentioning your blog should keep most people away from you...

Except for you, unfortunately.

-Ricky @ http://ricklax.com

hbb

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 02:27:21 AM »
You're still posting here? I thought you got banned, as I've noticed you've been re-posting many of your old threads from several months ago over on TLS. The study group suggestion thread seems to be just as despised there as it was here. Congratulations.

Just not getting enough traffic on the ol' blog, huh?

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 01:23:35 AM »
You're still posting here? I thought you got banned, as I've noticed you've been re-posting many of your old threads from several months ago over on TLS. The study group suggestion thread seems to be just as despised there as it was here. Congratulations.

Just not getting enough traffic on the ol' blog, huh?

Blog traffic is up, actually, but it could always be higher.  You know how it is.  So tell me already, if you were me, would you say something to the cafe?  Ask them to enforce the law?

TH14

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 06:11:39 AM »
Hardly committing a crime are they, those ladies.  So not sure how your theory would work.

Rather, you may want to team up with others around you studying and voice your concerns openly and directly to the store.  No need to stay annonymous when you're lodging a valid complaint, eh?

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 07:49:30 AM »
while youre at it, tell b&n that their damn pastry is overpriced, too
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 11:55:48 PM »
Hardly committing a crime are they, those ladies.  So not sure how your theory would work.

Rather, you may want to team up with others around you studying and voice your concerns openly and directly to the store.  No need to stay annonymous when you're lodging a valid complaint, eh?

Good point.  I mean, that's what we did a while back to put the gaming ban in effect in the first place.  WIll try the next time I go home.

-Rick @ http://ricklax.com

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 10:59:42 AM »
I'm dubious of your chances of passing the bar if you couldn't figure out on your own that informing the relevant party of your concerns was the appropriate course of action.

I bet you're still scared of ordering pizza too, aren't you?
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 11:51:32 AM »
This is why you're hated here dude. You're the stereotypical obnoxious lawyer that has to assert his authority whenever possible, whether it's $2.50 for a fish sandwich or prohibiting a bunch of old ladies from enjoying themselves. Here's a novel idea, go study at the library. Then at least you can complain to the library staff about the homeless guys hanging out there instead of the old ladies just trying to enjoy themselves before they croak