Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Another Restaurant Fight  (Read 14280 times)

ouffha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another Restaurant Fight
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2008, 04:01:49 AM »
Dude. It was on the menu. Pay more attention next time and don't be a male private part.

Also, go away.

Ha ha ha ha! Oh Cady. Everyone here needs to RickLax but you. You're alright.

ouffha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2008, 05:05:02 AM »

Oh I don't feel so good. I think I had some bad over priced fish (over priced at $2.50, to be exact). I better treat myself with some RickLaxative to help me RickLax.

LawyerToe

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2008, 08:56:23 AM »
I am new to this board as was wondering why Rick Lax is hated so much by so many people? Is it because he writes a blog or has book coming out? Just curious?

1) Because I sometimes repost LSD discussion items on my blog.

2) Jealousy.  I mean, lots of people on this board spend lots and lots of time writing about law school, and I did the same, only I got paid for it and they didn't.  That's my guess, at least. 

Um....I want to make clear, though, there are lots of smart, good people on LSD.  They're not hard to find and they do give good advice about lots of things.  But, yeah, some people are jerks.  The anonymity of the board allows them to be this way.  For more on how anonymity turns to cruelty, read Milgram or Zimbardo.

-Ricky @ http://ricklax.com

Thanks for the response. I agree with most of what you have said. I did not know that just asking a simple question would cause such a firestorm. If people do not like what you have to say then dont read it.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2008, 09:50:08 AM »

Oh I don't feel so good. I think I had some bad over priced fish (over priced at $2.50, to be exact). I better treat myself with some RickLaxative to help me RickLax.

dammit you beat me to it!  :D :D :D
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2008, 02:56:49 PM »
Nor am I familiar with you, your book or your blog, RickLax. I dislike you because you raised a ruckus in a public place over a substitution charge which was clearly itemized on the menu. You were willing to pay $15 for a goddamn fish sandwich, but pitched a hissyfit over an additional $2.50 which, with your substitution request, you were obligated to pay.

And then, when some absolute asshat antagonizes countless people on this board while coming to your dubious defense, you sidle up to him and thank him for defending your honor. Birds of a feather.

Define 'ruckus'.  Because asking the waitress if there was a mistake isn't a ruckus.  The waitress escalated it to a manager, with whom Rick spoke.  This is also not a ruckus.
There was no hissyfit.  There was no ruckus.  Your 'hate' is self-created.  And deplorable.
I didn't antagonize anyone.  I merely got involved in the discussion.  A-holes like you antagonized the situation, once again proving that even law student can be short sighted and create facts in situations where none existed (contrary to your training as a law student).
The sad thing is that even after the last few days, you can't be bothered to re-read the original post to see if, in fact, there was a ruckus or a hissyfit.  Instead, you found it much easier to make yourself look as stupid as you very well might be by creating facts that don't exist.  You injected your own perception of how the events unfolded based on your personal distaste for Rick. 
So, you want to be a lawyer?  Good luck with those arguments where you stipulate to facts that you made up.  Let me know how long it is before I can read all about you on the ARDC website.
Allow me to break down the story so even a complete waste of space like you can understand:
Rick ordered a $15 fish sandwich.  He asked if he could substitute a baked potato for french fries and was told "yes".  When the bill came, Rick noticed that instead of being charged $15, he was charged $17.50 and asked why.  The waitress told him that it was their policy and then she got a manager.  The manager told rick that it was on the menu and their policy.  Rick told him that he was unaware that he would be charged for the substitution and that the waitress didn't tell him about the charge.  The manager showed him the menu, so rick told him that he would pay.  The manager took the $2.50 off the bill and Rick paid.  End of story.
That's called a 'brief' and contains all the relevant facts. 
Please tell me where the ruckus and hissyfit are.  Then tell me that you are looking forward to arguing in court, because I get my kicks reading ardc reports about lawyers who lie to the court and add facts to their argument that are baseless.
Grow up, moron.  You can't go through life hating people for situations that occur only in your tiny brain.
Thanks!
Justice is tangy....

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2008, 03:11:27 PM »
Wow.  That brief was terrible.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2008, 03:29:21 PM »
Wow.  That brief was terrible.

i'm quite disappointed that there was no precedent, no analysis and no argument.

a proper brief would have shown where in the past ricklax or others acted like a tool when paying for overpriced fish (or analogously, a blt or other edible substance).    in the alternative, it could also have shown where he did NOT act like a tool or how this bit of douchebaggery was merely an anomaly. however, since this thread is entitled "ANOTHER" restaurant fight, it appears that this behavior is not isolated.

a proper brief would have analyzed the relevant restaurant law when dealing with employee omissions under the theory of respondeat superior; the doctrine of agency; or another relevant legal theory; and whether there was any statutory or common law precedent which required ricklax to demand satisfaction. 

finally, a proper brief would have had an intelligent, reasoned argument as to why ricklax's toolery was appropriate and justified in this situation, and that other reasonable persons would surely have exhibited similar toolery over billing discrepancies of the tuberous root vegetable variety.

non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2008, 03:31:38 PM »

Grow up, moron.  You can't go through life hating people for situations that occur only in your tiny brain.
Thanks!

asshat indeed.

You don't need to regurgitate the story over and over again.  We understand it, we just think he is a feminine hygiene product.  And you are an asshat.

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2008, 03:34:10 PM »
If you look at the story, some of the things the manager and waitress said don't really make sense.  And some of the things ricklax says aren't really consistent. 

For example, most waitresses wouldn't go get the manager if that's all that happened - not saying it's impossible that the waitress was crazy, but it's more likely ricklax wasn't being as calm as he'd have you believe.  Also, ricklax said early on that he wasn't willing to pay the 2.50, but left that out when telling the story here. (the exchange with the manager doesn't make sense unless rick indicated at some point he wasn't paying the 2.50)

So my point is I think you need to read between the lines a little and realize that ricklax was throwing more of a hissy fit than he's leading on.

Exactly. 

When someone portrays everyone in their story as egregiously wrong, and portrays themself as calm and reasonable at all times, you have to assume you aren't getting all the facts.

I highly doubt he politely inquired about the $2.50, the server immediately went and got the manager, and the manager immediately became hostile with him.  It just isn't plausible.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »

Define 'ruckus'.  Because asking the waitress if there was a mistake isn't a ruckus.  The waitress escalated it to a manager, with whom Rick spoke.  This is also not a ruckus.
There was no hissyfit.  There was no ruckus.  Your 'hate' is self-created.  And deplorable.

Wow...so do you always think EVERYTHING EVERYONE says is 100% true and accurate?  There's 2 sides to every story, and you know only what "ricky" wrote about it.  It's very likely that how he remembers and reports the story isn't exactly accurate.