Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Another Restaurant Fight  (Read 14325 times)

ouffha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another Restaurant Fight
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2008, 02:42:23 PM »
Having been a restaurant manager/GM for a decade, I am well qualified to weigh in on this matter.
The manager was wrong for being accusatory and taking the server's side.  There was no 'side' to take, and by being a prick about it, he left a bad taste in the customers mouth, jeopardizing the possibility of return business (which is the lifeblood of the restaurant industry).
Bottom line - there wasn't a 'problem' that necessitated a manager stop by - the server was an idiot who made the situation worse by bringing over a bigger idiot.  She could have pointed out the menu line that states a $2.50 charge for substitution. More troubling than that is the fact that the charge was added, but not itemized on the bill as a substitution charge.
Additionally, having been a GM for so long, I am VERY familiar with food costing best practices.  French Fries cost a few pennies more than baker potatos.  Hard to believe, huh?  Well, it's true.  Fries are processed in a plant with a bunch of other ingredients, then flash frozen and shipped.  Each step makes it slightly more expensive per serving that a baked potato.  Ever wonder why some restaurants make their own fries?  2 reasons, they taste better and it's cheaper.  This is something the consumer can see as well at the supermarket - go to the freezer section and take a look at the bag of fries.  Check the cost per ounce.  Then go to produce and check out the price of a raw potato.
So charging a customer unnecessarily for actually lowering your cost of goods sold is a skeevy practice.  Avoid restaurants that do this and if you don't catch it, like Rick, tell the manager that you think the policy is stupid and it just cost them a return customer.
Finally, this was an untalented, very stupid manager.  First of all, he appears to have been very aggressive about the matter, then pretends it's no big deal and that he'd be happy to take it off the bill.  He could have done it right - tell the guest you will waive it today, then show them where it is on the menu, then tell them that you appreciate their business.  Done.  Customer happy, restaurant happy, and the server gets a tip.
In this situation, I would tell the manager that I was reducing the servers tip because there was no reason to send over a manager over something she could have easily explained herself, then I would have tipped 10%.  I also would tell the manager that if he is going to be aggressive about proving how right he is, he should have the balls to stick by what he says instead of being a prick to no end.
And lay off Rick for posting blog entries here.  He IS promoting his blog.  Yes.  Don't like it?  Don't read his posts or, better yet, don't reply to them.  Unless I'm doing something wrong, the only way to access a post on this site is to click on it.  Each one is listed with the persons name too.  What he does is hardly as upsetting as reading someone like Julie Fern speak like a caveman while being rude and calling people names like "shitbreath" because they disagree with her/him/it.  Where are you people when that happens?

Thanks so much for sticking up for me.  Unsurprisingly, I think you're right about pretty much everything here.

Don't listen to the haters.  If they could have written a book that got published after graduating law school, you bet your behind they would have.  But they can't, so instead they'll just bash on you because you did something they are incapable of.
That's the internet for you!  Haters and flames.....

Trust me, that's not it.

Why don't you just RickLax there, Jeffi.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2008, 02:50:35 PM »
Hey guys, he's going by Ricky now. It really softens his charming board persona!
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2008, 03:02:46 PM »
Having been a restaurant manager/GM for a decade, I am well qualified to weigh in on this matter.
The manager was wrong for being accusatory and taking the server's side.  There was no 'side' to take, and by being a prick about it, he left a bad taste in the customers mouth, jeopardizing the possibility of return business (which is the lifeblood of the restaurant industry).
Bottom line - there wasn't a 'problem' that necessitated a manager stop by - the server was an idiot who made the situation worse by bringing over a bigger idiot.  She could have pointed out the menu line that states a $2.50 charge for substitution. More troubling than that is the fact that the charge was added, but not itemized on the bill as a substitution charge.
Additionally, having been a GM for so long, I am VERY familiar with food costing best practices.  French Fries cost a few pennies more than baker potatos.  Hard to believe, huh?  Well, it's true.  Fries are processed in a plant with a bunch of other ingredients, then flash frozen and shipped.  Each step makes it slightly more expensive per serving that a baked potato.  Ever wonder why some restaurants make their own fries?  2 reasons, they taste better and it's cheaper.  This is something the consumer can see as well at the supermarket - go to the freezer section and take a look at the bag of fries.  Check the cost per ounce.  Then go to produce and check out the price of a raw potato.
So charging a customer unnecessarily for actually lowering your cost of goods sold is a skeevy practice.  Avoid restaurants that do this and if you don't catch it, like Rick, tell the manager that you think the policy is stupid and it just cost them a return customer.
Finally, this was an untalented, very stupid manager.  First of all, he appears to have been very aggressive about the matter, then pretends it's no big deal and that he'd be happy to take it off the bill.  He could have done it right - tell the guest you will waive it today, then show them where it is on the menu, then tell them that you appreciate their business.  Done.  Customer happy, restaurant happy, and the server gets a tip.
In this situation, I would tell the manager that I was reducing the servers tip because there was no reason to send over a manager over something she could have easily explained herself, then I would have tipped 10%.  I also would tell the manager that if he is going to be aggressive about proving how right he is, he should have the balls to stick by what he says instead of being a prick to no end.
And lay off Rick for posting blog entries here.  He IS promoting his blog.  Yes.  Don't like it?  Don't read his posts or, better yet, don't reply to them.  Unless I'm doing something wrong, the only way to access a post on this site is to click on it.  Each one is listed with the persons name too.  What he does is hardly as upsetting as reading someone like Julie Fern speak like a caveman while being rude and calling people names like "shitbreath" because they disagree with her/him/it.  Where are you people when that happens?

Thanks so much for sticking up for me.  Unsurprisingly, I think you're right about pretty much everything here.

Don't listen to the haters.  If they could have written a book that got published after graduating law school, you bet your behind they would have.  But they can't, so instead they'll just bash on you because you did something they are incapable of.
That's the internet for you!  Haters and flames.....

Trust me, that's not it.

If you say so.
You do know that if you dislike Rick's posts, you are free to ignore them, right?
What other possible explanation is there for hammering on someone for doing what Rick does?  Jealousy.  Anger.  Lack of self esteem.  These are the reasons people slam others when they are successful.
It isn't pretty to look at and as you mature into a member of the bar, you'll find that the more people observe this of you, the less they think of you.  Then you wake up one day and realize that other people's success has no ill effect on you.
Rick is a good guy who has shared his experiences with wit.  If you don't like what he says, how he says it, or where he posts it, feel free to click that little red X in the upper right hand corner of your screen and move along.  Hating and railing on him is petty and makes you look small.
Justice is tangy....

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2008, 03:37:14 PM »
If you say so.
You do know that if you dislike Rick's posts, you are free to ignore them, right?
What other possible explanation is there for hammering on someone for doing what Rick does?  Jealousy.  Anger.  Lack of self esteem.  These are the reasons people slam others when they are successful.
It isn't pretty to look at and as you mature into a member of the bar, you'll find that the more people observe this of you, the less they think of you.  Then you wake up one day and realize that other people's success has no ill effect on you.
Rick is a good guy who has shared his experiences with wit.  If you don't like what he says, how he says it, or where he posts it, feel free to click that little red X in the upper right hand corner of your screen and move along.  Hating and railing on him is petty and makes you look small.

I know there are a lot of big words in this thread, but you should still probably read what people are actually saying before you get pissy.

Oh hell, I'll save you the trouble.

A vast majority of those of us who slam Rick do so because he does nothing more on this board than promote his blog and his book.  He's not sharing wisdom, he's not cavorting with other posters, he's not contributing in any way.  He's trying to advertise for free.

I haven't read the book, and I don't plan on it, and that's why you won't read anything from me that mentions the book in any way.  What you will read from me (and what you'll continue to read from me if you continue to read responses to Rick's future shills) will be complaints about his mucking up the boards when he should be paying for a banner.

The success of his book doesn't bother me at all.  In fact, if it's educational or if people enjoy it, then I'm glad it's successful.  I'm also glad that PowerScore is successful - they seem to have helped a lot of people do well on the LSAT.  But I sure as hell am not going to support PowerScore getting away with free advertising and filling up the board.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2008, 04:22:15 PM »

I know there are a lot of big words in this thread, but you should still probably read what people are actually saying before you get pissy.

A vast majority of those of us who slam Rick do so because he does nothing more on this board than promote his blog and his book.  He's not sharing wisdom, he's not cavorting with other posters, he's not contributing in any way.  He's trying to advertise for free.

I haven't read the book, and I don't plan on it, and that's why you won't read anything from me that mentions the book in any way.  What you will read from me (and what you'll continue to read from me if you continue to read responses to Rick's future shills) will be complaints about his mucking up the boards when he should be paying for a banner.

The success of his book doesn't bother me at all.  In fact, if it's educational or if people enjoy it, then I'm glad it's successful.  I'm also glad that PowerScore is successful - they seem to have helped a lot of people do well on the LSAT.  But I sure as hell am not going to support PowerScore getting away with free advertising and filling up the board.

Excellent post, and my exact feelings about "Ricky."

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2008, 04:52:26 PM »

Excellent post, and my exact feelings about "Ricky."

Some, if not most, of us use this forum as entertainment as well as informational.  I find his posts to be entertaining.  If your issue with Rick is that you feel he should buy a banner ad to promote his free blog, well then so be it.  I would suggest saying that instead of mounting personal attacks.  A simple "Why don't you buy a banner ad" will do.  I read his posts and though they may be duplicated in his blog, there is plenty that he doesn't post - making this appear to be a legitimate way of promoting his work while sharing some of his observations.
I went back and reread the OP, and it wasn't a blatant ad for his blog, containing just one hyperlink to his blog and no words of advertisement whatsoever.  This post was an interesting experience he had.
Here are the first responses to it:
"Glad to see you were able to turn a potentially awkward situation into another opportunity to self-promote your blog... your tireless spamming is truly an inspiration."
Well that didn't contribute much and made no such suggestion to rick that he should pay for an ad....
"I do not know why I hate you. But I do?"
Interesting.  Also interesting is the fact that this poster included a link to what looks like his personal business.  No one said word one to him about using his post to advertise innapropriately....

It seems that you (and others) are rationalizing.  You are creating excuses for your behavior which cannot be proved out by the statements made or your behavior towards others who do the same thing you find so reprehensible.  Does it bother you that he posts entries from his blog?  Isn't it reasonable to assume that the blog entries are of interest to LSD-ers as well?  Does it really matter that he had already posted this on his blog, then chose to post it here?

I'm having trouble swallowing the pill you are providing....
Justice is tangy....

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2008, 04:54:13 PM »
If you don't like what he says, how he says it, or where he posts it, feel free to click that little red X in the upper right hand corner of your screen and move along.

You seem to say some variation of this pretty often - I would suggest putting it in your sig to save time.

Doesn't this go without saying?  Seems sort of silly to have to give instructions to law school people that my immigrant grandparents understood about their radio in the late 40's.  If you don't like what you hear (or read), change the channel.
Justice is tangy....

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2008, 04:58:21 PM »
If you say so.

I'm not one of the people who've complained about Rick before and I could totally see the free advertising bothering people, but....

I just wanted to chime in and say the free advertising doesn't bother me, I just think Rick seems like a feminine hygiene product. I think if he were less of a feminine hygiene product the free advertising wouldn't bother people as much.

C'mon Jeffislouie...call me out for calling Rick a feminine hygiene product - and while you're busy not ignoring my post that you don't like, tell me about how I should ignore posts I don't like.

There is a difference between disagreeing with someone for what they think and disagreeing with someone because you don't like them.
But I'm not over here trying to tell you that you are a feminine hygiene product or that you suck or that I hate you.  I am making a point about how silly it is that folks seem to hate Rick for sharing what he shares.  I regularly ignore posts I find to be stupid or moronic or pointless.  I don't spend time telling the person that they are no damn good, are lucky to have graduated, that they won't pass the bar, or that I hate them (all of which have been directed at Rick over what amounts to him sharing a story).
To say that he doesn't contribute to LSD is asinine.  He is not advising anyone.  He is sharing something that happened to him.  Some people find this interesting, even if you aren't one of them.
Justice is tangy....

LawyerToe

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2008, 06:08:52 PM »
I am new to this board as was wondering why Rick Lax is hated so much by so many people? Is it because he writes a blog or has book coming out? Just curious?

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2008, 06:17:56 PM »
I am new to this board as was wondering why Rick Lax is hated so much by so many people? Is it because he writes a blog or has book coming out? Just curious?

Hi Rick Lax.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011