Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Another Restaurant Fight  (Read 14322 times)

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
Another Restaurant Fight
« on: June 20, 2008, 12:17:07 AM »
Last night I went out to dinner with my friend Alicja. I ordered the fish sandwich, which, the menu told me, cost $15. I asked the waitress whether I could substitute the fries that came with it for a baked potato, and she told me that I could.

The sandwich was fair. The taste was there, only the fish piece was long and skinny, so half of it hung over the bun and half the bun bites had no fish in them.

The bill came:

Fish Sandwich: $17.50

“Excuse me, but I thought the menu said the fish sandwich was fifteen dollars.”

This wasn’t a date, I should mention. If Alicja and I were on a date, I would have let it slide, of course.

“Hmm…I think that’s because you substituted the fries for the baked potato.”

“I wouldn’t have made the substitute if I had known it’d cost extra.”

“Let me see what I can do.”

I assumed the waitress was going to try to take the $2.50 off the bill.

I was wrong. She sent the manager over, and his opening line was this:

“I understand there’s a problem.”

“I wouldn’t call it a problem, I just-”

“Julie here tells me that you’re not willing to pay for your bill.”

Well that pissed me off.

“Actually, I didn’t say that. What I said was that I wouldn’t have substituted my fries for the baked potato if I had known it’d cost me extra. Julie, I guess her name is, didn’t tell me that it’d cost extra, so I don’t see why I should have to pay.”

The manager got a menu, shoved it in my face, and pointed to the line that said, “All side-order substitutions: $2.50”

“Well,” I said, “that’s fine. But I didn’t see it at the time.”

“It’s right there!”

“It’s hardly clear and conspicuous, and the truth is, I wasn’t on notice, so I-”

“It’s right in the menu! Right there for you to see!”

I was making Alecja uncomfortable, so I said, “Fine, I’ll pay it.”

IMMEDIATELY the manager said, “No, no, it’s no big deal, we’ll take care of it.”

And so I didn’t pay the $2.50.

So..who was right??

Rick’s Blog

hbb

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Another Restaurant Fight
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 12:50:47 AM »
Glad to see you were able to turn a potentially awkward situation into another opportunity to self-promote your blog... your tireless spamming is truly an inspiration.

mason123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 12:57:06 AM »
I do not know why I hate you. But I do?

lyre

• brightly burns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 09:44:13 AM »
Maybe you hate him because he made a scene at a restaurant over $2.50.

wrhssaxensemble

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 09:55:27 AM »
Not to take sides, but anyone else think it is a little weird the manager just took the employees side even before he looked into it? Never had a boss act like that before at one of my jobs considering the usual motto is that "the customer is always right"?

dsetterl

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 09:59:17 AM »
That sounds like a good boss. One that does not sell out his employees.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 10:14:29 AM »

Yah. If the manager or waitress was rude to you, they shouldn't have been, but it's nice to see a manager sticking up for a server once in a while.

I think OP was in the wrong. If you make a substitution or a change to a dish on a menu, you should not assume that it will not change the cost. Yes, the server could have mentioned that it would be extra, but she wasn't necessarily at fault for not doing so. It depends on what kind of restaurant it is - sometimes you're not supposed to talk about prices unless asked. And if you cared that much about whether it was going to be extra, you could have asked. Also, the taste and quality of the sandwich is really not relevant to the question of whether you should have to pay for a substitution, or should assume that it won't cost any more unless you're expressly told so.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 10:18:37 AM »
Also, the taste and quality of the sandwich is really not relevant to the question of whether you should have to pay for a substitution, or should assume that it won't cost anymore unless you're expressly told so.

Agreed.  The McFilet might only cost $2.99, but the chocolate shake still doesn't come with the value meal.

;)
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

wrhssaxensemble

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 10:33:26 AM »
No I agree... one of my bosses was like that back when I worked at a gas station and people would come in and yell at me for turning off the pump when they were violating safety laws (having little kids pump gas for them, pulling the hose all the way around the car instead of turning the car around, smoking or using the cellphone near the pump, etc.)

but most are not so it is kind of interesting this boss wasn't

I too would assume that it would cost more for the substitution. $2.50 is a little nuts to be arguing over (even if we are all pretty mucb broke right now)

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 11:07:44 AM »
Is this spam?  He's just copy/pasting entries from his blog.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."