Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My take on the first year of law school  (Read 31073 times)

KellyD09

• View Profile
Re: My take on the first year of law school
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2008, 02:07:31 PM »
tag

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: July 01, 2008, 02:35:35 PM »
One of my classes this past year, when the teacher found out a kid was recording her lectures, she pretty much flipped a *&^%. So in this case, it is decidedly easier to ask permission than it is to ask forgiveness.
Tulane c/o 2011

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #182 on: July 03, 2008, 07:12:00 AM »
My torts prof would only give you his Powerpoint file if you had been absent that day if you agreed to delete the file within the week or whatever. It makes a lot of sense; a lot of them are working on books or articles, and ideas from those make it to class, so the profs really want to guard their shiny new ideas. AND if they get out ahead of time, and/or they're misapprehended, the prof loses a lot of control over the idea and its packaging.

So, yeah. Don't record lectures without asking first. Like, ever.

Although I do disagree with Moni about the value of what your prof is saying. Some profs, sure--nothing they say in class is ever relevant. But I had a number of classes this year where key stuff from class was on/constituted a major portion of/was relevant to the final. Including one class with a professor whose final the previous semester had had nothing to do with class discussion. I think it depends.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 03, 2008, 08:26:21 AM »
My torts prof would only give you his Powerpoint file if you had been absent that day if you agreed to delete the file within the week or whatever. It makes a lot of sense; a lot of them are working on books or articles, and ideas from those make it to class, so the profs really want to guard their shiny new ideas. AND if they get out ahead of time, and/or they're misapprehended, the prof loses a lot of control over the idea and its packaging.

So, yeah. Don't record lectures without asking first. Like, ever.

Although I do disagree with Moni about the value of what your prof is saying. Some profs, sure--nothing they say in class is ever relevant. But I had a number of classes this year where key stuff from class was on/constituted a major portion of/was relevant to the final. Including one class with a professor whose final the previous semester had had nothing to do with class discussion. I think it depends.

I didn't say that most of what the professor says isn't valuable.  I said that most of the class isn't valuable.  If your classes are anything like mind you spend the majority of the time learning what your classmates think and comparatively little time learning what your classmates think.  I didn't come to law school to learn what my classmates think!  I think my most lecture based class was about 60:40 professor to class.  The least was about 10:90 professor to class. 

In all seriousness, listening to your classmates can definitely be helpful.  But it can also be totally useless...  When your professor talks, even if (s)he's just asking another student questions, it's probably in your best interest to listen.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #184 on: July 04, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »
Point taken. Listen to Moni, y'all.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 11, 2008, 03:56:45 PM »
tag

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 12, 2008, 03:29:10 PM »
I'd just like the say that I read and enjoyed this thread when it was new, and only just noticed that it'd ballooned to 19 pages.

Thanks to everyone for the entertaining read, especially Texas-feminine hygiene product-Guy.  Seriously, thank you so much guy.  I love you.

Also, I'm going to have to agree with Tree's comments from a few pages ago.  I refuse to prep my summer away, and may do more heavy drinking than I'd planned.   :)

ProdigyDub

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 12, 2008, 06:51:55 PM »
Though he came across somewhat poorly, I agree with the Texas "feminine hygeine product" (is that a language filter, or is that some sort of LSN inside joke?) to a large extent. Incidentally, I'm also at Texas, so maybe it's something in the water down here that's affecting our brains.  ;)

But, yeah, I definitely think there is some sort of intangible factor that you can't really teach or develop. Hard work is basically a given, as I don't know a single person in my class who doesn't work hard.

Personally, I'm a strong advocate of "winging it." It worked very well for me. That doesn't mean I didn't work very hard, but I do consider it a waste of time to spend a lot of one's energy trying to figure out what other people did to get good grades. It's going to take some trial and error, as everyone is different.

2Ladvice

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2008, 12:19:03 PM »
I just finished 1L year at a school very similar to UVA and my grades are almost identical to UVA_2Ls (above 3.8 ).  I thought I would describe my approach so you can see how different ways of studying can succeed.

First, I trusted my professor.  I bought E&E for civ pro, but I didn't find it very helpful.  I used no other supplements.  I didn't want concepts that my prof didn't care about to clutter my mind.  Reading supplements takes away time studying assigned material.  I never had a prof test me on a rule/approach that the prof didn't mention in class.  If I needed help, I compared my notes to two or more outlines from a prior year from the same prof.  Also, I put a lot of stock in my prof's past exams (types of questions, recurring topics) and sample answers (elegance vs. counting arguments). I took every practice exam available during our reading period or during the days between exams.

Second, I trusted myself.  I rarely wrote down what my classmates said in class unless the prof or my own notes confirmed it, I didn't use study groups, and I didn't rely on old outlines.  I made my 20-page outlines right before exams because it helped me review everything in detail.  It didn't take long because I took class notes in the same document as my reading notes and kept it organized from the beginning.

Third, I stayed organized.  I did best on exams where I used subheadings and point-counterpoint in a very methodical way. I used a short one-page outline of topics in the course and I searched the exam for each issue, rather than hoping the issues would pop out at me.  I also made a policy pro/con list for each topic I could think of for policy questions.  I see a difference in organization and content in the exams where I only received average grades, which makes me think grades aren't too random.

Do what makes sense to you.  There is no one formula.  And take time to relax.

Meliss1086

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 13, 2008, 06:50:39 PM »
Tag