Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My take on the first year of law school  (Read 31325 times)

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: My take on the first year of law school
« Reply #170 on: June 28, 2008, 04:55:19 PM »
You say tomato I say hypocritical...

with love, of course...

RE: irony
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 28, 2008, 04:56:58 PM »
Does anyone else feel like they've become more jaded in the past year?  I used to think that school was about learning and discovery, not careerism.  When people would talk about school debt, I would make inane comments like, "But I'm sure you'll be able to re-pay it back?  And wasn't it worthwhile to learn?"

These days, I see higher education as a scam perpetuated to bilk the middle-class of their savings and endow them with a false sense of pride.  (i.e., "why . . . my son attends law school!  he is something, isn't he?")

You pay too much attention to what other people think.  Its up to you to create meaning in your own life Mr. Existentialist.
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 28, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
I swear I've read the same thread over fifty^fifty times (or another high, arbitrary number).  Over and over and over again . . . supplements, outlines, E&E, blah blah blah.  It's enough to drive a person insane.

And the kicker is that, somehow, someone always comes along and says, "Dude, I have no idea what all of this is and I still did extremely well."

That's it; I'm winging it.  I'll read the casebook and go to class.  Worse comes to worse, I'll eat my hat.

I think that's a good plan.  No sarcasm.  Like some other 0Ls on this site, I freaked out before law school and bought supplements before school even started.  They were worthless.  Not because they weren't good, probably, but because I only cracked one of them for about 30 minutes one time.  I did well by reading the cases, going to class, making my own outlines, and taking practice exams.  I kept plenty busy.  If I wanted to read supplements, I would have had to cut one of the four other things I was doing.  I felt the other four mere more important.

Plus, if you "need" a supplement, your law school will probably have it on reserve.

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 29, 2008, 02:18:17 AM »
Walls, if your avatar is now a Guided By Voices reference, I think I'm going to fall over.
At least I can f-ing think.

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 29, 2008, 03:36:13 AM »
taggity.

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: June 29, 2008, 03:41:54 AM »
Walls, if your avatar is now a Guided By Voices reference, I think I'm going to fall over.

Seconded! I thought for sure I would be the only one on a law school forum to spot a GBV reference.
Tulane c/o 2011

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #176 on: June 29, 2008, 11:57:22 AM »
::smacks goaliechica's forehead::

::wonders about dash's plans for next summer::

Undecided. Might take NALP up on that whole you-can-hold-one-offer-in-your-pocket-until-April thing.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

czarevich

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 30, 2008, 08:22:20 AM »
Despite the fact that I would no doubt be labeled a "tool" by my classmates, can anyone tell me if it could possibly be beneficial to tape record lectures? 

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 30, 2008, 08:40:16 AM »
Despite the fact that I would no doubt be labeled a "tool" by my classmates, can anyone tell me if it could possibly be beneficial to tape record lectures? 

The time that it will take you to listen to the tapes will far outweigh any potential benefit.  Think about it.  You'll spend an average of 3-4 hours a day in class.  The 3-4 hours you subsequently spend listening to the tapes could be used to read for the next class, review your notes, outline, etc.  Depending on the professor's style, as much as 90% of what you hear in class in useless for exam prep anyway.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 30, 2008, 12:36:58 PM »
recording would be useless and potentially destructive (you might stop paying attention thinking you'll go back and listen... you won't).

the only time I see it as potentially helpful is for Q&A style review sessions. I found those difficult to both take in what had just been said and listen to the next question. Still, I don't think it's recording even those.