Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My take on the first year of law school  (Read 31156 times)

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: My take on the first year of law school
« Reply #130 on: June 27, 2008, 07:11:22 PM »
I ordered Mavis Beacon.
CLS 2011

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2008, 07:17:48 PM »
Psh. I don't need to cultivate anything. I'm naturally awesome.

(lie)

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2008, 08:23:07 PM »
I had one professor who provided us the past 10 exams and a sample student answer for each of these. In one, the student went with some sort of modified txt speech. For me, it was really grating to read, but presumably he or she did well because it's used as a sample answer.

And you're wrong if you think everyone seems the same issues. In a general law school exam with a fairly standard fact pattern, no one is going to get all of the issues. No one. Whether that's remotely important or not will vary on the professor and exam type.

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2008, 09:32:33 PM »
I'm doing my best to winnow words of an absolute nature from my writing. It's a challenge, but a worthy undertaking; I do think people lose credibility when using such words.

Then again, this is an e-forum, so we should keep some perspective. Clearly.  ;)

Is it too much to say that I believe writers lose credibility when using "e-[whatever]" constructions?  ;)
Tulane c/o 2011

ryduce

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2008, 09:42:25 PM »
Most importantly, is there anywhere to train BJJ in Charlottesville?

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2008, 09:55:10 PM »
Is it too much to say that I believe writers lose credibility when using "e-[whatever]" constructions?  ;)

I totally agree. I lose faith in people who say:
1)literally when they don't mean it. 'She literaly turned over in her grave' Oh did she?
2)Obviously. It's overused in two ways. Either it's either already obvious (in which case the word is not is needed - hence the use of the word to begin with) or when it's not actually obvious.

I do not mean to give grammar lessons as I'm far from perfect but these two words gave somehow wiggled their way into common use. Don'y get me started on like...

dsetterl

« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2008, 10:05:59 PM »
taggers

JusAbstinendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2008, 10:07:50 PM »
I'm doing my best to winnow words of an absolute nature from my writing. It's a challenge, but a worthy undertaking; I do think people lose credibility when using such words.

Then again, this is an e-forum, so we should keep some perspective. Clearly.  ;)

Like e-mail? *chuckles*
University of Chicago '11

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2008, 10:11:54 PM »
Law school grades = (good writing skills + knowing the law some + knowing what your professor wants)/luck. I did well last semester, and it was thoroughly unearned. Sheer luck. This is not false modesty; this is factual. The bf can vouch for this. 

But also, the bloviating going on in the latter part of this thread is barfy.

What will work for you will work for you. You'll have to figure it out when you get there--really--because you won't know if it's functional until it starts (or doesn't start) functioning. Unforeseen stuff comes up; you might have to alter your brilliant plan in the middle of the semester--or finals week. Stay flexible and stay attuned to what's working and what isn't.

Also also, TX dude is feminine hygiene product^2. Sorry. I'm 70% certain all his law school "friends" hate him, and 90% certain the majority do. He will deny this. This is because he is in denial. Also because they only talk about what a git he is when he's not around. Obvi. 
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

JusAbstinendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2008, 10:24:39 PM »
Well that solves that.
University of Chicago '11