Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My take on the first year of law school  (Read 31063 times)

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: My take on the first year of law school
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2008, 09:16:40 AM »
Sounds like a lot of great advice. It's similar to my general plan going in, as it's how I approached philosophy in undergrad, so I'm happy to see somebody having success.

One of my worries is all this talk of books. Is this something that 1Ls figure out really quickly? I just see all those titles and automatically go into a daze.

If my plan is to get an overview of the case (take some basic notes), read the case (more basic notes), and then outline what I need to take away from the case, which books are the best for this?

You can get everything you need just by reading the case.  If you have trouble with a specific concept, I'd first look at one or two student-made outlines (from students who had your prof).  Then I'd either check with the librarian for a recommended supplement or come on here and ask.

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2008, 09:20:15 AM »
You can get everything you need just by reading the case.

And if you don't, the things you missed will probably come out in class.   ;)
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2008, 01:06:20 PM »
tag

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2008, 01:59:19 PM »
Interesting. I would have thought there was a lot of utility in knowing about a case before reading the case, such that it could keep you on track throughout reading.

Thanks for the replies.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

premieraw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2008, 02:20:24 PM »
Also, IMO it's not a big deal if you don't make your own outline - I made my own outline for one class this entire year, and don't really see how it was that different than what I did for every other class - just used a good outline from someone who had the same prof the year before, and then thoroughly went through it and added and modified as needed. It saves a lot of time and for me personally it worked just as well.

Do others feel this same way?  It seems appropriate not to reinvent the wheel.

Not only didn't I make my own outlines, but usually when I had someone else's outline, I didn't wind up using it to study from or during an open book exam.

I don't know where the idea about "outlining" got started, but there are certainly other ways to study besides either making your own or studying from someone else's outline.

In fact, the only outline I think I used for the entire first year, (actually used during the test or studied from) was a Crim Law outline I made, which was less of an outline and more of a resuscitation of Dressler's hornbook, since it was our only open note, closed book test.

Care to elaborate?
1L...wait, really?

GCoop.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2008, 02:39:43 PM »
Also, IMO it's not a big deal if you don't make your own outline - I made my own outline for one class this entire year, and don't really see how it was that different than what I did for every other class - just used a good outline from someone who had the same prof the year before, and then thoroughly went through it and added and modified as needed. It saves a lot of time and for me personally it worked just as well.

Not only didn't I make my own outlines, but usually when I had someone else's outline, I didn't wind up using it to study from or during an open book exam.

I don't know where the idea about "outlining" got started, but there are certainly other ways to study besides either making your own or studying from someone else's outline.

In fact, the only outline I think I used for the entire first year, (actually used during the test or studied from) was a Crim Law outline I made, which was less of an outline and more of a resuscitation of Dressler's hornbook, since it was our only open note, closed book test.

Care to elaborate?

What would you like to know?  I just don't think that outlines are the be all, end all, only way to study.  For one thing, most people spend too much time formatting the *&^% out of them, and secondly, it leaves you with the impression that nothing is interconnected that isn't underneath I. or A. or 1., which just isn't the case.

premieraw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2008, 03:01:25 PM »

Care to elaborate?

What would you like to know?  I just don't think that outlines are the be all, end all, only way to study.  For one thing, most people spend too much time formatting the poo out of them, and secondly, it leaves you with the impression that nothing is interconnected that isn't underneath I. or A. or 1., which just isn't the case.

I guess i'm just curious as to the specifics of your plan of attack. Before i start school in the fall i would like to explore all avenues of approach and pick what works best for me. Any insight would be appreciated.
1L...wait, really?

Supervik

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2008, 03:09:43 PM »
tagging for later reading....seems interesting

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2008, 04:05:54 PM »
Interesting. I would have thought there was a lot of utility in knowing about a case before reading the case, such that it could keep you on track throughout reading.

Headings in the case book let you know what the topic is.

Sure, knowing about the case before reading would be beneficial.  However, your time is limited, and you must decide whether you actually have time to read about a case in addition to reading the case.  So long as you know the general topic, you should be able to garner from the case everything you need to know relatively easily.  Some cases are more confusing, but I certainly wouldn't think you need to "prep" for every case (assuming you will read 8-10 per day on average).

Also, being able to read a case and understand a case without "prep" is a valuable skill.

boombasticlady

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2008, 04:46:24 PM »
just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread especially UVA 2L for starting it. Thank you for all your advice. :)