Law School Discussion

My take on the first year of law school

Re: My take on the first year of law school
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 06:08:25 AM »
That was beautiful. Congrats on your success. I do have a few questions though.

1) Why the hate for Delaney? I agree that Learning Legal Reasoning emphasizes briefing too much, but I actually think his Crim Law book seems good since he phrases his discussions in the 'argue both sides' way you need on exams.

2) Did you use LEEWS or read Delaney's How to do well on Exams book?

Once again, congrats, and that's a really nice gesture that you wrote that nice long post  :)
1) I dont know, for some reason I thought i wasted my money on Delaney's series thanks to PLS2. Crim seemed to be formated weirdly. I just thought it didn't have enough in terms of being a textbook- like explanations for what the law is, and it didn't have enough practice questions that were challenging. It would just have a question, an answer and a critique which just didn't seem to be useful to me.
2) I didn't do LEEWs but i read DElaney's how to and as with the other Delaney's stuff, hated it... What his method seems to be is simply IRAC remodeled into CIRA and renamed into a different acronym. Plus, I'm not so big on sticking to a format on exams. Your professors are more interested in your arguments and reasoning, rather than "issue, rule, analysis, conclusion" move on... I liked to be flexible in my exams, so I didn't like the Delaney's book.

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 06:14:05 AM »
And sometimes i felt like i was actually lecturing people or correcting their misconceptions.

Teaching can be a good way to learn.
That's absolutely true. Which reminds me of another thing I did. I would try to pretend i'm trying to explain a given subject to someone else. It sounds a little crazy, but it works.

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 06:16:12 AM »
Very nice.  Obviously we were disappointed to have lost you to UVA, but I'm glad that decision worked out for you.  Any idea what market you're shooting for next summer?
Thanks man, I was definitely having second thoughts until I started doing well. CLS was really tough to say no to.
About markets- I have no idea. I'm thinking maybe CA? I need to make up my mind pretty soon though... Are you shooting for NY?

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 06:18:53 AM »
That's absolutely true. Which reminds me of another thing I did. I would try to pretend i'm trying to explain a given subject to someone else. It sounds a little crazy, but it works.

Agreed.

Edit to add:  I usually did this on the way to class in the morning, in case I got called on.   :D

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 06:30:07 AM »
Rising 2L here.  The only bit of advice I'd like to supplement is the use of notes in studying.  I think the value of notes varies from class to class and from student to student.  However, in my personal experience using both notes and commercial outlines proved the most effective way to study for me.  First semester I relied almost exclusively on hornbooks and was top 25-30%.  Second semester I painstakingly turned all of my notes (and those of a classmate) into outlines and then added hornbook info into them as was top 5-10%.  If nothing else, notes will let you know what things the prof thinks are important and what is likely to be on the exam.

Also, a bit of test strategery that I like to think works: prepare your outline for your last exam first and study the hell out of it before that final.  I got the distinct impression that by the time the last exam rolled around a lot of people were burned out and put in less effort into studying.  Each time I powered through and wound up getting top grades on those exams.

ps: i didnt read the entire op so my bad if I miscontstrued anything.

Maddie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 06:32:06 AM »
tag.  That was very helpful.   :)

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 07:00:32 AM »
Rising 2L here.  The only bit of advice I'd like to supplement is the use of notes in studying.  I think the value of notes varies from class to class and from student to student.  However, in my personal experience using both notes and commercial outlines proved the most effective way to study for me.  First semester I relied almost exclusively on hornbooks and was top 25-30%.  Second semester I painstakingly turned all of my notes (and those of a classmate) into outlines and then added hornbook info into them as was top 5-10%.  If nothing else, notes will let you know what things the prof thinks are important and what is likely to be on the exam.

Also, a bit of test strategery that I like to think works: prepare your outline for your last exam first and study the hell out of it before that final.  I got the distinct impression that by the time the last exam rolled around a lot of people were burned out and put in less effort into studying.  Each time I powered through and wound up getting top grades on those exams.

ps: i didnt read the entire op so my bad if I miscontstrued anything.

I think that's a good advice, thanks for adding more tips for 0Ls.

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 09:46:03 AM »
tag

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 09:58:44 AM »
Seems like something I might want to tag.

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 10:34:54 AM »
Very informative thread, thanks for making this.  Can you talk a little bit about social life in law school?  How many hours of studying do you do?  Is it difficult to balance academics with extracurriculars?  Do most people have time to go out on the weekends? thanks.