Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Impact of majors assumed as "fluffy"  (Read 7540 times)

clhurley

• View Profile
Re: Impact of majors assumed as "fluffy"
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2008, 05:59:13 PM »
I didn't read through ALL the replies, but am I the only one who thinks that 'fluffy' means like.. interior design major? Nutrition? Sports medicine? Perhaps it's my UGrad institute, where pretty much the only 4.0's are Women's Studies and Education majors.. and we seem to have a lot of them. Still going with the super-antiquated "must get engaged before Commencement" notion, a lot of them.

Perhaps I'm just defensive of my philosophy major! However, most law schools say that, while they "don't require a specific major", many that will prepare you for law school are economics, philosophy, history, poli sci, etc. I feel very confident about my major, though I, too, have gotten the "Now why exactly are you studying philosophy?" question more than.. once.. or twice.. or nine million times in my life. On the other hand, we have a strong philosophy of law program, hmmm..

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. You can do well in any major, and you can do poorly in any major.. It all depends on how you apply yourself, and really, there's no way to objectively rank majors in "importance" or difficulty. So, like everyone else, I say just get good grades, beat the LSAT to a pulp (Make it cry a little bit.. for me? Please?), and that'll do more for you than trying to read law schools' minds about which majors they'll prefer in any given cycle. PHEW!
i'm currently abroad in paris, france. poor me. but it changes things.
lsat = 168; gpa = 3.8

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Impact of majors assumed as "fluffy"
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2008, 06:08:23 PM »
I didn't read through ALL the replies, but am I the only one who thinks that 'fluffy' means like.. interior design major? Nutrition? Sports medicine? Perhaps it's my UGrad institute, where pretty much the only 4.0's are Women's Studies and Education majors.. and we seem to have a lot of them. Still going with the super-antiquated "must get engaged before Commencement" notion, a lot of them.

Perhaps I'm just defensive of my philosophy major! However, most law schools say that, while they "don't require a specific major", many that will prepare you for law school are economics, philosophy, history, poli sci, etc. I feel very confident about my major, though I, too, have gotten the "Now why exactly are you studying philosophy?" question more than.. once.. or twice.. or nine million times in my life. On the other hand, we have a strong philosophy of law program, hmmm..

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. You can do well in any major, and you can do poorly in any major.. It all depends on how you apply yourself, and really, there's no way to objectively rank majors in "importance" or difficulty. So, like everyone else, I say just get good grades, beat the LSAT to a pulp (Make it cry a little bit.. for me? Please?), and that'll do more for you than trying to read law schools' minds about which majors they'll prefer in any given cycle. PHEW!

Incidentally, the Women's Studies program is supposed to produce low grades at my UG. I don't know how "hard" the program is (or to how to measure difficulty,) but they have a pretty serious grade inflation (or, deflation) policy within their department. The head of the department has this crusade to rid Women's Studies of the perception as a "fluff" major. They have to write a lot, at least.