Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Impact of majors assumed as "fluffy"  (Read 7418 times)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Impact of majors assumed as "fluffy"
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 11:44:47 AM »
absolutely not.  julie not going ruin julie's perfect record for you.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 11:45:09 AM »
absolutely not.  julie not going ruin perfect record for you.

nooyyllib

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 12:31:18 PM »
i absolutely have no idea what you are talking about.

WashLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 04:48:37 PM »
ignore it, Julie's a bit strange...

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 06:09:01 PM »

(right click, view image)

LOL- love this!

snarkygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 05:27:36 PM »
a 4.0 from a crappy school is not the same as a 4.0 from a good school.  not only do law schools know this, but potential employers during and after law school know this too.

officeguy

• ? ? ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 06:23:13 PM »
Major in something that you are interested in and GOOD at. Whether it be dance or physics, majors just don't matter really. Hard sciences will gets a tad bit of leeawy with the GPA, but nothing significant. And as far as schools, they only matter when you go to a HYS type of school. GPA and (more so) LSAT deterimine it all. If you enjoy sociology and see yourself doing well with it (and maybe having a career in it if law school doesn't work out) major in it.
"I want an anti-gravity machine. I saw it in a movie. You drink the potion, and then you just start floating all around"

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 10:16:52 PM »
a 4.0 from a crappy school is not the same as a 4.0 from a good school.  not only do law schools know this, but potential employers during and after law school know this too.

Agreed, but law schools don't have to report where your 4.0 came from, only that you had a 4.0. They may know the difference, but they probably won't much care.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

brianwithani

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 05:58:08 AM »
What many consider "fluffy" are liberal arts degrees that really aren't marketable unless you go on to grad school.  For instance, a four year degree in sociology simply won't translate into a big money job.  A degree in engineering that takes the same amount of time, could get you twice or three times the salary of a sociology degree.  But if you hate engineering and really love sociology, then it would be a waste.  Major in what you enjoy because your GPA will be all the better for it. 

I know this because I caught hell for years when I told people I was majoring in Philosophy.  I got everything from, "you don't intend to work after college, do you?" to "what Starbucks are you shootin' to work for after graduation?".  But I intended to go to law school all along and was given the advice early on that Philosophy is an excellent first order discipline that prepares you well for LS.  I actually really got into the Philosophy courses and that translated to better grades (3.7 UGPA) Seems like anymore, a BA won't get you squat anyway.  I say focus on a course of study that you enjoy and will prepare you for whatever grad program you're interested in. 
"We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, then, is a habit."  Socrates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 06:29:31 AM »
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.