Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My problem: strong on GPA & LSAT, weak on 'soft' material.. help me think!  (Read 724 times)

cwhelan

• View Profile

dissident

• View Profile
Having strong and numerous soft factors proved no help at all; I imagine the lack of them will not hurt you.

wiseowl

• View Profile
i would definitely NOT do Peace Corps just as a way to prove your fitness for people-oriented law schools.  it would be a complete waste of time, money, and energy for you.  i highly recommend the Peace Corps and Americorps, but not in this context.

try student government, tutoring in a local high school, etc.

the top two things schools look at are GPA and LSAT, period.  softs are at best tiebreakers and waitlist-bumpers.  you are fine on the main two metrics.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/wiseowl
Pending: Columbia, Emory, UNC
In: UVA, Duke, GULC, Vandy, UGA ($), WFU, GW, George Mason
Neither In nor Out:
Out:

cwhelan

• View Profile
i would definitely NOT do Peace Corps just as a way to prove your fitness for people-oriented law schools.  it would be a complete waste of time, money, and energy for you.  i highly recommend the Peace Corps and Americorps, but not in this context.

try student government, tutoring in a local high school, etc.

the top two things schools look at are GPA and LSAT, period.  softs are at best tiebreakers and waitlist-bumpers.  you are fine on the main two metrics.

Yeah, I seriously understand what kind of commitment serving in the PC is. I have thought about doing it at some point in my life- it does accept older people. The only issue here is, if I decided that I DID want to do it, would it be a plus to do it earlier. Don't worry, I won't go to Mauritania on a resume-building mission!!