Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: factoring in a master's degree  (Read 1071 times)

lightitup77

• View Profile
    • Email
factoring in a master's degree
« on: June 19, 2008, 12:49:28 PM »
I graduated looong ago with a GPA of 3.0. However, this year I completed my master's degree with a GPA approaching 4.0. I just took the June LSAT and did not do well, as far as I know...

How much will my post graduate work "weigh"?

thanks

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: factoring in a master's degree
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 04:36:25 PM »
No weight at all on the calculated UGPA. Some schools will look at your master's work as more indicative of your LS performance.

My observation has been that admissions depend almost entirely on UGPA and LSAT. Others feel that nontrad's numbers are not as critical, and that your PS and WE loom larger in the admissions decisions.

brianwithani

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 10:20:35 PM »
It is my understanding that of course, admissions looks initially at UGPA and LSAT.  But consider this, if you are not an "automatic" admit and are similar in numbers with others being considered, your graduate work could be the tie breaker.  Also, nearly every school I applied to listed the percentage of incoming students with advanced degrees.  So while your grad work may not open the doors, it may help alot once your foot is in the door.
"We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, then, is a habit."  Socrates

SingleGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 03:17:23 AM »
Thanks, this was helpful to me as well.  Just saw this posting and it's similar to what I just put above...