Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duke or UNC?  (Read 887 times)

keller

• View Profile
Duke or UNC?
« on: June 19, 2008, 09:43:12 AM »
I was all set to go to UNC in the fall until Duke called. Duke has always been one of my top choices for law school, so I was pretty thrilled. Yet the price difference between the two is giving me second thoughts. If I go to UNC, I'll come out $45,000 in debt, while I'll owe  $135,000 if I choose Duke. I'm not sure what kind of law I want to practice, and I'd like to choose the school that leaves open the most options. I have to decide quickly so any advice would be great!

sassafrass

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Duke or UNC?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 10:09:06 AM »
I'd like to choose the school that leaves open the most options=Duke if you're pretty certain that you don't want to do relatively low paying PI/govt work (which Duke's giant debt load will preclude)

supermario

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 11:40:06 AM »
I think Duke is the easy call if you want the most options.  The placement opportunities so great that you will not have much difficulty paying back the extra debt.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/20080414employment_trends.pdf

wiseowl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 04:05:16 PM »
i will be in the same boat next year hopefully.

consider that coming from Duke you've got a great chance at paid summer work 2L and a decent chance at even getting something 1L in the city of your choice.  at UNC it will be much harder to go to a big market for the summer and competition for local midlaw and small firm jobs will be fierce and unpaid even if you do get it in many cases.

summer work will go a long way towards quick debt repayment.  if you can get one biglaw summer it could cut 20-25K off your debt, and two would obviously do even more for you.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/wiseowl
Pending: Columbia, Emory, UNC
In: UVA, Duke, GULC, Vandy, UGA ($), WFU, GW, George Mason
Neither In nor Out:
Out:

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 04:39:50 PM »
I'd take UNC for the lack of debt. The school still places better than about 90% of the other schools that exist and a lack of debt can also open a lot of doors.

I think everyone has kind of missed the point here that Duke places better, but you'll also have $90k more in debt, so you'll need it to place better. The only reason I'd take Duke in this situation is if I was 100% sure I wanted to do biglaw.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

asiangirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 04:37:01 AM »
sigh ...
congrats.
how did they notify you? did they give you an interview before that?

keller

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 01:47:38 PM »
sigh ...
congrats.

They sent an email and then set up a phone interview. Thanks for the advice guys, I'm picking Duke!

supermario

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 02:16:57 PM »
They sent an email and then set up a phone interview. Thanks for the advice guys, I'm picking Duke!

Congrats!

Dr. Raoul Duke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 02:21:24 AM »
sigh ...
congrats.

Good choice, my friend.  You'll be fine. 

Congrats on being a Blue Devil  ;)