Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Oklahoma state House asserts state sovereignty under 10th Amendment.  (Read 2750 times)

sassafrass

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Oklahoma state House asserts state sovereignty under 10th Amendment.
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2008, 08:40:55 PM »
yes!  let's keep the impoverished brown people caged up behind the Rio Grand and Sonoran Deserts.  Let's not find a way to colectively help people earn a life of dignity doing grueling jobs Americans won't consistently do because we Americans had the good fortune of being born inside our political boundaries

(large swaths of which were taken in our war with Mexico: a trumped-up bullying of our southern "neighbor" instigated by the executive [sound familiar])

don't believe me about the Mexican-American War?  look it up.  Apparently, for Sam Houston and his followers, illegal immigration is ok, if it's white folks heading the other way.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008, 09:56:25 PM »
Everyone in favor of a physical wall should think about the ecological ramifications it will have on the native fauna of the border region.   

The wall is one potential solution to one problem that creates other problems in itself.
Regardless of what you think about the issue of illegal immigration, I would hope that after doing some research on the likely effects of a border wall, you'd at least agree that the wall is not a good idea.

robelguapo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 03:42:40 PM »
Everyone in favor of a physical wall should think about the ecological ramifications it will have on the native fauna of the border region.   

The wall is one potential solution to one problem that creates other problems in itself.
Regardless of what you think about the issue of illegal immigration, I would hope that after doing some research on the likely effects of a border wall, you'd at least agree that the wall is not a good idea.

Good point...I didn't even consider ecological ramifications. Hmmmm.

yes!  let's keep the impoverished brown people caged up behind the Rio Grand and Sonoran Deserts.  Let's not find a way to colectively help people earn a life of dignity doing grueling jobs Americans won't consistently do because we Americans had the good fortune of being born inside our political boundaries

Our obligations are to US citizens, no matter the color, and the furthering of our policies, economy, future, etc.

After that, sure, let's see how we can help others out.

(large swaths of which were taken in our war with Mexico: a trumped-up bullying of our southern "neighbor" instigated by the executive [sound familiar])

don't believe me about the Mexican-American War?  look it up.  Apparently, for Sam Houston and his followers, illegal immigration is ok, if it's white folks heading the other way.

Irrelevant.

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 04:37:05 PM »

I think we should worry more about our coal fired power plants, cars. suburban sprawl and woeful waste of energy in our society more-so than the migration patterns of the spotted yellow black dot on forehead lizard...   A wall DOES create ecological problems, but I think Los Angeles creates more of an ecological problem and they haven't quit building there...

University of Oklahoma '11

robelguapo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 09:24:34 PM »

I think we should worry more about our coal fired power plants, cars. suburban sprawl and woeful waste of energy in our society more-so than the migration patterns of the spotted yellow black dot on forehead lizard...   A wall DOES create ecological problems, but I think Los Angeles creates more of an ecological problem and they haven't quit building there...

Lol...also true.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 10:34:28 PM »

I agree that we should worry MORE about coal fired power plants and sprawl and Los Angeles.
But, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't worry about the ecological impact of the wall.
Just because something else is a larger problem doesn't make the Wall any better.

sassafrass

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 11:16:03 AM »

Irrelevant.
[/quote]

Maybe to Americans, but certainly not to Mexicans.  I hadn't actually thought about it's practical relevancy.  I was just pointing out the irony esp. to "minute man" Lou Dobbs types