Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Evening Student Stigma  (Read 1321 times)

en banc

• View Profile
Evening Student Stigma
« on: June 18, 2008, 08:12:25 PM »
Hypothetical Stats:  T2 School/Top 5% of Class/Law Review/Moot Court Award/Worked as a Law Clerk for 100+ attorney firm during first 2 years of LS.

Will the status as an evening student serve as the "death knell" during OCI?  Any horror stories?  Any POSITIVE experiences?

wcombs65

• View Profile
Re: Evening Student Stigma
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 08:23:44 PM »
I know someone who just finished at SMU Law in the part-time program.  He got a very nice BigLaw job in Dallas.  It should also be noted that he is also a CPA with a masters.  I don't think being an evening student should be a problem.  The work experience should help.

en banc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 08:27:56 PM »
Something tells me it's a factor no matter how high grades are ... especially at a T2.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 08:45:32 PM »
I am not sure there is an evening division stigma. If you are working, people really admire students who can balance work and law school. If you are not working then you should probably fill that extra time a little. Volunteer or get really involved in extracurriculars. It'll look good.

en banc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 08:55:17 PM »
I'm under the impression that evening students are seen as second class.  Maybe because they take 3 or 4 classes... Maybe because its easier.  I'd like  to hear from Evening Students who had either great grades and struck out, or went through OCI without it even being a factor.  I'm sure there are many out there eager to hear some responses. 

rocky7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 09:14:53 PM »
There is no stigma.  Evening students take 11 units per semester, full time students can take as little as 12.  The difference is evening students (not all) work full time.  Regardless, you have to finish at the top of your class.  But as  3rd year evening law student, I can assure you there is no stigma. 

SJ228

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 11:25:22 PM »
Those were almost my exact stats at the end of my first year (evening program as well.) I got interviews from all the major firms that came on campus (and choose a V20.) If a firm is interviewing 25 people, you will probably still get the interview, so it is all about how you sell it (why you were evening ect.)

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Clara Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 09:09:30 AM »
I'm an evening student, too.  I just finished my first year, and I'm second in my class (including the full time students).  I did 5 OCIs and got offers from 4 of them.  I'm going to be working for the biggest firm in my state come fall semester.

The only people who have an attitude about the evening students is SOME of the full time students who feel that we have it easier.  Prospective employers loved the fact that I would be able to work more than 20 hours per week for them during the school year.

en banc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 09:33:21 AM »
Clara, are you at a T2?  Did you work throughout the year?

Clara Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 09:38:17 AM »
I'm at a T3. 

I worked 40 hours/week throughout my whole first year.  It was challenging, but worked out in the end.  I think employers also really liked the fact that I could manage my time well.