Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: below-curve hls 2L re: oci prospects  (Read 23772 times)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: below-curve hls 2L re: oci prospects
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 04:21:39 PM »
I know people who were below median at CLS who got V20 in NY.  Granted Harvard's no Columbia, but I think that ruling out V20 is unnecessary.  I would rule out V1-3, 5 though.

unsubtle anti-skadden trolling  :D ;)
Columbia 3L

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 05:23:37 PM »
DC is a hard market?  I always had the impression it was easier than NY because fewer people want to go there.   ???
UPenn '10

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 05:34:20 PM »
There may be more people who want to go to New York but there are MANY more law firm positions in New York.  Look at the summer associate class sizes in NY compared to DC.  Plenty of NY offices have 100+ summers.  Not a single DC office has 100, and most have no more than 30 or so.

DC also attracts an inordinate number of top students in my opinion.  People who want to go into government, appellate litigation, etc. 

So yes, DC is (in my opinion) much tougher.  Unless of course you go to school here in which case slightly different story.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 05:25:17 AM »
DC is (in my opinion) much tougher.  Unless of course you go to school here in which case slightly different story.

Your opinion is reflective of the situation as I gather, too. 

Yeah, that's what I gather too.  It sounds like a lot of the most ambitious people want to go to DC.  NY, on the other hand, has tons of jobs in firms with a wide range of GPA requirements/desires.  A lot of people see NY as the easiest major market to get a job in for a below average student.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 09:15:52 AM »
There may be more people who want to go to New York but there are MANY more law firm positions in New York.  Look at the summer associate class sizes in NY compared to DC.  Plenty of NY offices have 100+ summers.  Not a single DC office has 100, and most have no more than 30 or so.

DC also attracts an inordinate number of top students in my opinion.  People who want to go into government, appellate litigation, etc. 

So yes, DC is (in my opinion) much tougher.  Unless of course you go to school here in which case slightly different story.

Yikes.  Good thing I'm applying to both markets.  I definitely never would have figured out DC was tough from the way Penn kids act, though -- everyone I know is either heading for NY or California, and DC seems much less competitive by comparison.
UPenn '10

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2008, 09:42:45 AM »
What, you're not applying to Atlanta, either? :(  You two are the only 2010 LSDers I know with strong Atlanta ties.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 10:05:49 AM »
What, you're not applying to Atlanta, either? :(  You two are the only 2010 LSDers I know with strong Atlanta ties.

No.  :(  It was in the running for a while, but much as we love the climate and affordability and proximity to Waffle House and Chick-Fil-A, it's out for now.  There's not a great job market there for Mr. Team Pam, and neither of us is ready to live amongst quite so many angry conservatives.  ;)  We'll still be there all the time, though, so at least we can hang out every couple months.  :)
UPenn '10

rainyday

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 12:39:31 AM »
thanks again to all.  i can't find the LSN-type website for associate jobs.  aquarium had posted the link, and apparently deleted the messages.  i'm sure it will be circulating again before too long.

thanks, pat, and everyone else who put in their two cents. i'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2008, 01:55:04 AM »
tag

And rainyday -- Good luck to you as OCI starts next week.  I think you'll do better than you expect!
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2008, 03:39:10 AM »
thanks again to all.  i can't find the LSN-type website for associate jobs.  aquarium had posted the link, and apparently deleted the messages.  i'm sure it will be circulating again before too long.

thanks, pat, and everyone else who put in their two cents. i'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Doesn't HLS career services give out that type of info?  Not exact GPA, but like how selective different firms are. 
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.