Law Students > 2L job search

below-curve hls 2L re: oci prospects

(1/10) > >>

rainyday:
hi...

i'm a rising HLS 2L with a relatively crappy grade situation.  grades came back, and, with no fabulous excuses, my 1L gpa equates to about a 3.1 on a B+ curve.  nothing lower than a B, but obviously nothing much higher either. bummed b/c 2nd semester was pretty much the same (so no marked improvement to boast, either).

can anyone speak to what I can expect at fall OCI? be honest, but gentle. thanks.

dashrashi:
I'm told that the curve is actually somewhere between B and B+. This doesn't help-help, but it does make the situation less upsetting, I think.

Look, I talked to a rising 3L friend today who wasn't happy with his grades after 1L and went through the usual mishegoss over it, but then went and accidentally kicked ass his 2L year. Don't be demoralized. I am now more convinced than ever that HLS grades (specifically section 6's, which I think you're in too?) are completely f-ing arbitrary. And really, didn't you come to Harvard so you wouldn't have to care about your grades?

The Artist:

--- Quote from: rainyday on June 18, 2008, 07:56:35 PM ---hi...

i'm a rising HLS 2L with a relatively crappy grade situation.  grades came back, and, with no fabulous excuses, my 1L gpa equates to about a 3.1 on a B+ curve.  nothing lower than a B, but obviously nothing much higher either. bummed b/c 2nd semester was pretty much the same (so no marked improvement to boast, either).

can anyone speak to what I can expect at fall OCI? be honest, but gentle. thanks.

--- End quote ---

Seriously, go @#!* yourself.

goaliechica:

--- Quote from: Froot Loops on June 18, 2008, 08:27:15 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Dude, don't be that guy. Almost everyone worries about their grades, no matter where they are. It doesn't mean they don't appreciate where they are, or don't recognize that they're still in a good position. This is  legitimate question, and one that's hard to figure out without input from other people (I know I'm feeling pretty hazy about how OCI actually works, myself). 

The Artist:

--- Quote from: goaliechica on June 18, 2008, 08:34:30 PM ---
--- Quote from: Froot Loops on June 18, 2008, 08:27:15 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Dude, don't be that guy. Almost everyone worries about their grades, no matter where they are. It doesn't mean they don't appreciate where they are, or don't recognize that they're still in a good position. This is  legitimate question, and one that's hard to figure out without input from other people (I know I'm feeling pretty hazy about how OCI actually works, myself). 

--- End quote ---

Even if this guy went to Boalt or NYU I might empathize with him. But this dude goes to HARVARD and is around the median. Not bottom 10%. Not bottom 25%. At worst, he is botton 40%. Meaning he beat out about HALF of Harvard's law school class. He knows deep down inside he is beyond solid. He just came here for emotional reassurance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version