Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Questions about a state Supreme Court clerkship??  (Read 1962 times)

wcombs65

• View Profile
Questions about a state Supreme Court clerkship??
« on: June 18, 2008, 06:33:45 PM »
I'm about to be a 1L and thinking of what to do next summer.  I have a great connection in a State Supreme Court and it fits perfectly with my legal interest.  How good would a summer clerkship look on my resume?  Would this court even hire 1Ls for a summer gig?  Any help at all would be great.  Thanks.

Luziana

• View Profile
Re: Questions about a state Supreme Court clerkship??
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 06:57:43 PM »
If you can get it, I say go for it.  You'll never know if the court will take 1L interns unless you ask.

sassafrass

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 11:06:33 AM »
depends on your state's court as to who/when they hire.  And not to be the board DB, but clerkships and INTERNSHIPS with courts are much, much different things.  It sounds like your talking about a summer internship.

a clerkship with a SSC would be a full-time job for a member of the bar that paid (relatively) nice scratch.

BTW, there's a ton of clerkship (not internship) resources on American Law's website

USC313

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 12:38:03 PM »
Another thing to keep in mind is what type of 1L grades you end up with. Average or below probably won't cut it with a state supreme court, despite your contact therein. The court has its standards to uphold, so I would recommend trying to make top 10% at whatever school your going to.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 12:45:06 PM »
a clerkship with a SSC would be a full-time job for a member of the bar that paid (relatively) nice scratch.

Depends on the state.  My state does not require bar membership and pays relatively low, just above $40K.

wcombs65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 07:40:10 PM »
And not to be the board DB, but clerkships and INTERNSHIPS with courts are much, much different things.  It sounds like your talking about a summer internship.

Thanks, this is new info to me but makes sense and leads me to wonder why I didn't already know this.