Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many apps is too much?  (Read 1090 times)

kman999

• View Profile
How many apps is too much?
« on: June 18, 2008, 03:12:52 PM »
It seems that some people get carried away with the number of schools they apply to.  Ten seems reasonable, maybe a few more, but when someone is applying to more than 16, 17 schools, that seems rediculous. 

As you apply to more schools I would think that the quality of apps would go down. Granted, it does get easier to apply the more apps you do. Also, applying to 16+ schools tells me that the person has not really determined what they want out of law school.  I would think that out of that relatively large number of schools, at least two or three are significantly different as far as atmosphere, curriculum, specialty, location, etc.

Thoughts?

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
Re: How many apps is too much?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 03:16:23 PM »
Many (including maybe most on this board) want to attend the best school they can get into, where "Best" = "Highest Ranked/Most Prestigious/Best for Job Prospects."  Therefore, many people apply to a good number of "reach" schools, hoping to get into one or two.

Also, splitters have a much harder time determining their chances at a school, and so many splitters apply to a broader range to increase their odds of getting into a good school.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

*devo*

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 03:23:36 PM »
Why do you say it was a mistake to apply to Berkeley?

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

BobWatson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 03:42:43 PM »
Too much is any more than 3 reach, 3 target, 3 safety, unless you're one of the people with a good shot at the impossible schools, in which case you are allowed to apply to all 14 t-14 just because you can never be sure with those.

To everyone else--we're all complaining about being waitlisted at so many schools, but that's what happens when there's only a 1 in 25 chance we'll be attending, instead of a 1 in 9 or 1 in 6.  Maybe if we all started being reasonable, then the schools would be able to give us real answers without possibly screwing themselves over.  Let's help them help us, yeah?

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 03:46:21 PM »
Too much is any more than 3 reach, 3 target, 3 safety, unless you're one of the people with a good shot at the impossible schools, in which case you are allowed to apply to all 14 t-14 just because you can never be sure with those.

To everyone else--we're all complaining about being waitlisted at so many schools, but that's what happens when there's only a 1 in 25 chance we'll be attending, instead of a 1 in 9 or 1 in 6.  Maybe if we all started being reasonable, then the schools would be able to give us real answers without possibly screwing themselves over.  Let's help them help us, yeah?

No.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 03:53:57 PM »
I applied to 3 reach, 3 target, 3 safety.
But the schools in the city I wanted to work in all fell in the "reach" category.  I also applied to a few school's that didn't charge an application fee.
I got waitlisted to all three safety schools and I got into one of my reach schools.  :D

If I could do it all over again I would have applied to 3 or 4 more reach schools.

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 04:55:42 PM »

Nope. It's a strange numbers game. I wasn't sure where I wanted to move for school and I have quirky numbers so I needed to give myself reaches, targets and safeties in the different areas of the country I was thinking about. I think that's perfectly reasonable. Presumably, we're all adults here. We can each decide what 'too much' and 'reasonable' mean for our respective cycles.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 08:33:19 PM »
It seems that some people get carried away with the number of schools they apply to.  Ten seems reasonable, maybe a few more, but when someone is applying to more than 16, 17 schools, that seems rediculous. 

As you apply to more schools I would think that the quality of apps would go down. Granted, it does get easier to apply the more apps you do. Also, applying to 16+ schools tells me that the person has not really determined what they want out of law school.  I would think that out of that relatively large number of schools, at least two or three are significantly different as far as atmosphere, curriculum, specialty, location, etc.

Thoughts?

My school's pre-law advisor (a faculty member who went to a T1) told me I'm a fool if I don't apply to at least 10, and said that he's seen many "top-notch" applicants not get into any schools they applied to.  He basically freaked me out with this.  I'm applying for the upcoming cycle and am thinking that 12 would be my top number.