Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Temple's location?  (Read 809 times)

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
Temple's location?
« on: June 18, 2008, 08:55:47 AM »
Haldo,
  I had a very quick question for those of you who may have visited Temple - how is it's location?  I've heard from someone that I know that it is in a really bad part of town...but he also said that Drexel was a better school than UPenn.  ::)  Anyway, is it really that bad, or do you folks feel he's exaggerating?
-Netopalis
Mercer University School of Law '12

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Temple's location?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 09:53:31 AM »
I will be going there in the fall.  It's bad, but a few things:

1)  The immediate surroundings are very safe because Temple has its own police force that is one of the biggest in the entire state of PA.

2)  Housing is more affordable in Philly than in other east coast cities so you can live in nice neighborhoods and still not be very far from Temple.  It helps that there is a bus/train/subway station literally right in front of the school.

3)  No one I spoke to seemed to have experienced any problems, but they do not recommend living in the North Philly neighborhood.

madacurtis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 03:36:21 PM »
I just answered a question regarding philly vs chicago so my explanation is fresh in my mind.  Temple's location is analagous to Isreal's.  It is a 10 block x 8 block campus (approx) that is lit up like a football stadium at night and filled with armed guards (campus cops).  It also sits in a pretty dangerous neighborhood that surrounds it in every immediate direction.  I would take the subway up from a downtown location if I were to go to Temple.  North Philly is the murder capital of the US at the moment.  Downtown Philly is a 10 minute ride on the subway.  Youll catch the subway on Broad St.  (the equivalent of 14th St.) which is smack dab in the middle of downtown.  Affordable housing ($700 - $1000/month) can be found just 4 to 6 or so blocks away headed west (South of Rittenhouse square).  This is called the graduate hospital section.  You can stay in center city in the gayborhood (where I lived to save money) around 12th and 13th streets and the intersections of spruce, lombard, and pine.  Rent in this location will be about 1000/month for a large studio.  Philly is one of the best cities to live in if you take advantage of it correctly.  In my previous post on Chicago vs West Philly, in particular UPENN area, I made the point that Chicago is sort of an easy city to be happy in.  Anything from central Chicago upward past Wrigleyville is safe, residential, and beautiful.  You have to be a little bit more street smart in Philly but its worth the effort. Do your research and if you have any questions, Ill be around.

INXCES

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 12:23:04 PM »
I visited last June.  Admittedly, it was after classes were out, but it made me think "commuter campus".  Nobody seemed to live within walking distance -- they all lived in nicer parts of Philly that were some distance away.  That makes the campus less of a central location or focus.  May not matter to you, but that was definitely a negative to me.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 07:47:56 PM »
Admissions staff will tell you that it is very safe on campus (as one mentioned, they have their own police force), but they sounded worried when I told them that I had to park off-campus. (because they had a large event on-campus the day I was visiting)

It's not great, but it's not the worst that it could be. 

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 09:22:22 AM »
I visited last June.  Admittedly, it was after classes were out, but it made me think "commuter campus".  Nobody seemed to live within walking distance -- they all lived in nicer parts of Philly that were some distance away.  That makes the campus less of a central location or focus.  May not matter to you, but that was definitely a negative to me.

I know what you mean; the extent to which you want a "campus feel" is definitely a factor to consider.  I went to a very isolated, rural school for UG and I was ready for city life.   :)

mrs.brightside

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 02:18:35 PM »
Hi!

I went to Temple for one semester (undergrad). It is located in center city in Philly. It is located in a not so great area to be honest. I would walk out of the Bursar's office and get asked for money by homeless men there. Philly is a great city but it really wasn't for me, I felt they have an out of control crime problem (much like many big cities) but there isn't much being done about it; or the effort they ARE making still didn't make me feel any safer. I am from New Jersey and no country bumpkin, and I have been to NYC on many occasions, I even did an internship there at CNN and to be honest I felt much safer there than I did on a daily basis in Philly. To make matters worse, I did not get along with my female roommates, I felt they didn't match us together at all -- just throw you in with someone. I went through the nesscary hurdles of trying to get new roomies and really felt my complaints fell on deaf ears with the residence life staff because there are just too many undergrad students to get everyone's complaints heard in a timely fashion, it seemed. They placed me in a building, as a freshman, so far from main campus I had to take a 10-15 min. shuttle ride to get back to main campus each day. I was living in a building (a nice one though) where one floor belonged to Temple and filled with other students, whereas the next floor would be regular folks, renting an apartment, working each day and had no association with the university. I transferred to a smaller school in New Jersey and had a better experience, I graduated last Spring with a BA in Communications. As for the actual Temple U, it was a GREAT learning institution. It is surrounded by a lot of culture and experiences away from the campus, if you can find a way to fit into the vibe of the city and the university you will do well there. So you have to weigh what's important to you; Philly is a very "raw" city and it didn't fit me well, maybe you will fair much better there :) Good luck to you.