Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why is Cooley Law so despised?  (Read 34727 times)

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Cooley Law so despised?
« Reply #160 on: February 15, 2010, 12:20:58 PM »
The ABA should cut off a lot of law schools. 

I am not sure how they should decide which schools to discredit, but Cooley would probably be on the list under any formulation.

But what do I know?  I also think the 2L and 3L years should become apprenticeship requirements.
Finish an ABA accredited 1L year, Complete 2000-3000 hours at an approved employer, take whatever additional classes your employer likes and whatever classes you think you need for the Bar Exam.

Not only would the educational experience be more valuable, but if you didn't get into a school in the area you'd like to work, then you could still be an apprentice in your preferred area and take classes (like barbri) tailored to your state's bar exam.

A good idea, to be sure.
I spoke with an attorney the other day and he made another excellent point:
If law school is supposed to prepare you for the practice of law, why force graduates to take a bar exam?  Graduation from an ABA approved law school should be the only requisite for admission to the bar.  You should be handed two things on graduation day: your diploma and your bar card.
The truth is, law school should be the requirement for bar certification - graduate?  Then you are licensed.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 15, 2010, 02:37:28 PM »
why, to make sure you didnt cheat in law school, thats why.....    :P
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 15, 2010, 05:42:46 PM »
lol.
I personally think it is so they can keep the test prep industry afloat.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2010, 05:49:47 PM »
lol.
I personally think it is so they can keep the test prep industry afloat.

oh god, DIE IN A FIRE BARBRI
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #164 on: February 15, 2010, 08:16:04 PM »
guy you couldnt even get the false imprisonment question right, whats that say about your education Denny?

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 16, 2010, 01:43:58 PM »
Actually, I DID get the false imprisonment question correct.  I just didn't reply to your damages question regarding fraud yet.
Do you enjoy following posters around the boards from topic to unrelated topic to make a point?
Besides, this isn't about MY education, it is about Cooley's reputation.  Two different, and unrelated, topics entirely.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #166 on: February 16, 2010, 02:28:01 PM »
Thats like saying that I'm somehow banned from mentioning the dirty diaper who drag around in your pants since your want to question my dental hygenics. Yeah, you still still dude.  ::)

Actually, I DID get the false imprisonment question correct.  I just didn't reply to your damages question regarding fraud yet.
Do you enjoy following posters around the boards from topic to unrelated topic to make a point?
Besides, this isn't about MY education, it is about Cooley's reputation.  Two different, and unrelated, topics entirely.

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 16, 2010, 03:31:35 PM »
My guess is that a guy like you goes to Cooley.  AND you had a 4.0 UGPA and scored a 175 on the LSAT.
I'm saying that because nothing you write makes any sense, especially in light of your last post.
Again, I'll explain it for the eternally stupid:
This thread asked the question "Why is Cooley Law so despised?"
I gave some reasons, which then turned into a pair of dolts attacking me, as if I am the only one who believes Cooley is a sub-par school.
The reason Cooley is so despised has nothing to do with MY education.  It has NOTHING to do with where I go to school.  It has nothing to do with an answer I gave regarding false imprisonment (which, by the way, I gave to assist a student in their understanding of the concept, not to prove my own intelligence).  It has to do why the legal community, including law students, views Cooley negatively.
So it stands to reason that making fun of my intelligence for saying what most people think anyway is counterproductive and meaningless.  The question was asked.  I answered it.  Don't like what I said?  Refute my assertions (curiously, this part of the way lawyers are supposed to be trained to think is absent) and make your case.  The stupid way to argue a point is to ignore the point and rely on ad hominem to justify your own misconceptions.
Is Cooley ranked very, very low?  Yes, it is.
Do Cooley students complain that the school is a fail out factory school that should be stripped of ABA accreditation?  Yes, they do.
Do students choose to attend Cooley for a full ride scholarship when they can get a full ride scholarship to higher ranked schools with better reputations?  I doubt it.  MAYBE if they have a compelling reason to remain in Michigan.  Otherwise, no, they don't.
Until these assertions are argued, I'm done with this thread.  Responding to ad hominem attacks is a waste of my time. I prefer to live in the realm of substantive discussion.