Law School Discussion

Why is Cooley Law so despised?

Thistle

• View Profile
Re: Why is Cooley Law so despised?
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2010, 05:33:53 AM »
I don't even know why law schools such as "Cooley" or "Whittier" even bother to exist...when it's that low..and WORSE, when students aver that that's where they'll be attending!  My gosh, Southwestern too, they all suck.  I heard Whittier LS used to be the Jack-in-The-Box Super Size Fast Food Stop.

YOURE WRONG!!!!1!!

it was a Big Lots

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2010, 08:49:52 PM »
believe it or not the majority of the world dosn't stop to consider your weak ass opinion before starting their day.They tend to care more on the opinion of yesterdays taco that their flushing down the toliet than yours.

Hope that helps answer your question.  :'(
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I don't even know why law schools such as "Cooley" or "Whittier" even bother to exist...when it's that low..and WORSE, when students aver that that's where they'll be attending!  My gosh, Southwestern too, they all suck.  I heard Whittier LS used to be the Jack-in-The-Box Super Size Fast Food Stop.

« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2010, 10:26:16 AM »
I really don't see the point of hating on Cooley. They let in just about anybody, but they also wash out alot of people. There are some very fine attorneys who just couldn't do well on the LSAT. Their requirements for graduation are pretty stringent. What are electives in most law schools are required at Cooley. I don't think the school is easy by any means. My roommate is a Cooley grad, and he is very bright guy. He said it was rigorous. I guess you can hate on Cooley if you want, but why? Most people that do are just being douchebags.

« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2010, 12:20:10 PM »
Several reasons:
1) low admission standards.  With my crappy UGPA and mediocre LSAT score, I was offered a scholarship there.  No other school offered me anything.  Their admission standards reflect a student body that is less than qualified.
2) high failure rate.  Students report a high academic dismissal rate, and not just in the first year.  I read a students account of being dismissed in their third year or told that they needed one surprise class to graduate just months prior to expected graduation.  Cooley reported academic attrition for one L's of 317 students.
3)  low bar passage rate.  The state passage rate is 85%.  Cooley's average is 67%.
4)  High cost.  They charge as much as far superior schools.
5) their students.  No offense intended, but many Cooley students seem to believe themselves superior to other law students.  I can't, for the life of me, understand why.  I can almost grasp how a Harvard One L could talk down to me, but a Cooley student?  Puh-leeze. 

Cooley is not well respected amongst large law firms or government agencies either.  It seems that only three groups of people regard Cooley as a great school: Employees of the school, students, and those relatively few alumni who have succeeded with their JD from Cooley.

Not all law schools are equal.  Cooley represents an opportunity for potential students with mediocre grades and bad LSAT scores to go to law school.  That's why.  You will not see a Cooley One L with a 4.0 UGPA and a 175 on their LSAT.  Why do you think that is?
 ;)

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2010, 07:42:44 PM »
Of course you do, they come becuase they get a 100% tuition free ride. Only self important slugs like you would prefer to go 6figures into debt when you can avoid it to get the same certification and license in the end. No wonder why people talk down to you so much.  :'(

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not all law schools are equal.  Cooley represents an opportunity for potential students with mediocre grades and bad LSAT scores to go to law school.  That's why.  You will not see a Cooley One L with a 4.0 UGPA and a 175 on their LSAT.  Why do you think that is?
 ;)
[/quote]

« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2010, 11:03:28 PM »
Of course you do, they come becuase they get a 100% tuition free ride. Only self important slugs like you would prefer to go 6figures into debt when you can avoid it to get the same certification and license in the end. No wonder why people talk down to you so much.  :'(

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not all law schools are equal.  Cooley represents an opportunity for potential students with mediocre grades and bad LSAT scores to go to law school.  That's why.  You will not see a Cooley One L with a 4.0 UGPA and a 175 on their LSAT.  Why do you think that is?
 ;)

Hey - believe what you want.  Never mind the fact that those same scores will get you a free ride at many, if not all, T2 schools, genius.  I'm sure you have no idea what opportunities are available to someone with a 4.0 and a 175, but I assure you, they include free rides to schools with far superior reputations than Cooley has.  Also, you must be a genius to be able to know my financial situation - either that or you are psychic.  I won't end up with a six figure debt (assumptive logic is the true sign of genius).  And though you might 'technically' get the same certification and license in the end, the job prospects between Cooley and, well, every other ABA accredited school in the country are miles and miles apart. 

Just so I understand your ridiculously naive and silly argument, I'll try to sum it up:
1)  All law degrees are the same.  A graduate with a JD from Cooley who passes the bar has precisely the same job opportunities as a law student from Harvard.
2)  I am a self-important slug because I would prefer to end up with a six figure debt load while going to a top quality law school over going to the worst law school in the country with the highest rate of academic attrition, the least amount of credibility amongst ABA approved law schools, and the far fewer comparable job prospects
3)  Because I made a joke about being talked down to by Harvard Law Students, people talk down to me so much?

Brilliant argument.  Enjoy your experience at Cooley Law Farm.  Let me know how it all works out for you after you graduate, that is IF you graduate.  We can compare jobs, job titles and salaries as well as debt loads.  It will be fun.
Then we can review why you have a compulsion for using ad hominem attacks on a poster who gave a reasonable, rational, measured personal opinion about what is undoubtedly, inarguably, unquestionably, the worst ABA approved law school in the country.

Of course, if you do go to Cooley - what can I say?  Case.  In.  Point.  Thanks for proving it.
Good luck to you.
 ::)

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #146 on: February 10, 2010, 08:48:42 AM »
Hey Idiot, your the one who started the assumptions by your ignorant assumption that you know what everyones GPA is at cooley. Remind me how you think you know more about the people to the left and the right of me than I do sitting next to them? THAT proves how little you know about yourself and your "reasonable" statements.   :P

Of course you do, they come becuase they get a 100% tuition free ride. Only self important slugs like you would prefer to go 6figures into debt when you can avoid it to get the same certification and license in the end. No wonder why people talk down to you so much.  :'(

;)

Hey - believe what you want.  Never mind the fact that those same scores will get you a free ride at many, if not all, T2 schools, genius.  I'm sure you have no idea what opportunities are available to someone with a 4.0 and a 175, but I assure you, they include free rides to schools with far superior reputations than Cooley has.  Also, you must be a genius to be able to know my financial situation - either that or you are psychic.  I won't end up with a six figure debt (assumptive logic is the true sign of genius).  And though you might 'technically' get the same certification and license in the end, the job prospects between Cooley and, well, every other ABA accredited school in the country are miles and miles apart.  

Just so I understand your ridiculously naive and silly argument, I'll try to sum it up:
1)  All law degrees are the same.  A graduate with a JD from Cooley who passes the bar has precisely the same job opportunities as a law student from Harvard.
2)  I am a self-important slug because I would prefer to end up with a six figure debt load while going to a top quality law school over going to the worst law school in the country with the highest rate of academic attrition, the least amount of credibility amongst ABA approved law schools, and the far fewer comparable job prospects
3)  Because I made a joke about being talked down to by Harvard Law Students, people talk down to me so much?

Brilliant argument.  Enjoy your experience at Cooley Law Farm.  Let me know how it all works out for you after you graduate, that is IF you graduate.  We can compare jobs, job titles and salaries as well as debt loads.  It will be fun.
Then we can review why you have a compulsion for using ad hominem attacks on a poster who gave a reasonable, rational, measured personal opinion about what is undoubtedly, inarguably, unquestionably, the worst ABA approved law school in the country.

Of course, if you do go to Cooley - what can I say?  Case.  In.  Point.  Thanks for proving it.
Good luck to you.
 ::)

« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2010, 11:30:59 AM »
Hey Idiot, your the one who started the assumptions by your ignorant assumption that you know what everyones GPA is at cooley. Remind me how you think you know more about the people to the left and the right of me than I do sitting next to them? THAT proves how little you know about yourself and your "reasonable" statements.   :P

I never made a statement that reflects the assertion that I somehow represented myself to know what anyone's GPA is at Cooley law school.  I merely said that you won't see Cooley students with 4.0 UGPA and 175 LSAT scores.  Perhaps you should reread my post.  Since I doubt you have the ability or desire to do so, I will quote myself and make your life easier:
"You will not see a Cooley One L with a 4.0 UGPA and a 175 on their LSAT."
That statement cannot be reasonably construed to mean that I "know what everyones GPA is at cooley".  I simply stated my belief, specifically that students attending Cooley law do not have 175 LSAT and 4.0 UGPA.  My belief is grounded in simple reality - a student with such credentials would be privy to full ride scholarships at a host of other, better ranked, academically superior schools with better reputations.

I don't know more about the students sitting next to you, but I would bet serious money that not one of them could prove such high credentials.

Again, you assume too much, read too little, and have trouble understanding arguments.  I suspect it is due to your apparent interest in taking this thread personally. 

Here is the question posed by the OP, which is what I attempted to answer:
Why is Cooley Law so despised?

That is in the subject line of the thread, meaning you were aware that there was likely to be some criticism leveled at the school.  So why are you attacking me for explaining my opinion on the matter?  You haven't accomplished anything, save to prove out that one of the reasons Cooley is so hated, their student body is chock full of morons who don't belong in law, is justified.  Wouldn't your position be better served by providing examples of student success, academic excellence,or, at the very least, providing reasonable, logical arguments that display your ability to think and write like a lawyer?  Instead, you've chosen to treat this thread the same way a child would - ignoring substantive argument, avoiding issues raised by others, and making personal attacks.

Here's some free advice: 
1)  You lose the right to behave like a child when you enter a graduate program.
2)  Lighten up - if you suspect that reading a thread might upset you, avoid it.  This will prevent you from coming off like a child.
3)  If you can't argue a point logically, you have already lost the argument.
4)  Be a realist.  You aren't doing yourself or anyone else any favors lying to yourself and convincing yourself that Cooley, widely held to be the worst ABA approved law school in the nation, is a top flight law school that students who COULD attend tier 1 school CHOOSE to attend.
5)  Learn to remove yourself from your argument.  It is plainly obvious that you are angry.  If you were capable of objective, dispassionate argument, you might see that the arguments you have provided are, at best, weak and at worst, devoid of any substantive content.

Good luck.

jack24

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 10, 2010, 01:23:55 PM »
Yeah, according to Lawschoolnumbers.com (I know it isn't conclusive)  The best applicant to Cooley for the 2008-2009 cycle got a 163 on the lsat and a 3.6 GPA.  That person eventually enrolled at the University of Michigan.

The best LSAT for an applicant to Cooley in that cycle was a 165 (2.73 GPA)
The best GPA for an applicant in that cycle was a 3.9, and that person got a 141 on the LSAT.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #149 on: February 10, 2010, 07:48:50 PM »
Guy, you say that you didnt say something and then quote yourself saying it. Being long winded dosn't make poo into pudding.

---------------------------------------------------

[/quote]

I never made a statement that reflects the assertion that I somehow represented myself to know what anyone's GPA is at Cooley law school.  I merely said that you won't see Cooley students with 4.0 UGPA and 175 LSAT scores.  Perhaps you should reread my post.  Since I doubt you have the ability or desire to do so, I will quote myself and make your life easier:
"You will not see a Cooley One L with a 4.0 UGPA and a 175 on their LSAT."
That statement cannot be reasonably construed to mean that I "know what everyones GPA is at cooley".