Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why is Cooley Law so despised?  (Read 34690 times)

wcombs65

• View Profile
Re: Why is Cooley Law so despised?
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2008, 04:15:57 AM »
I will not bash Cooley as a school.  I will, however, bash their ranking system.  You simply cannot include square footage in any kind of ranking.  I will be a 1L at a school with an entering class of 175.  A school with a class of >500 will clearly have a larger school, larger library, etc.  In no way does that have any bearing on the quality of education.  If their rankings included square footage per student in some kind of ratio, then maybe...maybe.  (If this is the case with the Cooley ranking then I retract my previous statement). 

Also, it doesn't help for people to defend Cooley using sub-par grammar.  Yes, it's the internet, but in a debate over scholastics I believe it is important to appear scholarly.

beamcnally

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2008, 11:17:09 AM »
Just had to pipe in here....T4's exist for a reason - so people like me can go to law school. Now before you all start making jokes, here is my story...

I am a 35 yr old mother of 4 who went back and finished her BA two years ago. I have a 155 IQ and graduated from high school with a 4.0 then I went to a great college on a full ride scholarship and failed out (I was young and only interested in partying). As a result, I had one horrible GPA. I dropped out with only a year left. When I went back to school (as a much wiser adult), I was able to maintain a 4.0 GPA. However, this was NOT enough to bring my GPA up. My school had me listed as graduating with a 3.0 but thanks to the LSDAS they "calculated" my GPA at a dismal 2.2. Who the hell lets someone into law school with a 2.2 GPA??? You guessed it! Cooley.

Not only was I accepted, but because of their generous scholarship program I was awarded a 75% scholarship for my LSAT score. Now was Cooley my first choice? Of course not. It's not anyone's. But what Cooley did was offer me a chance. Don't get me wrong, they do a lot of things I don't agree with (like dismissing students for falling below a 2.0 when they have a 2.0 curve for starters!) but I have worked me ass off, am in the top 1/3 of my class and am halfway through lawschool.

You all can disrespect Cooley all you want but here in Michigan, Cooley grads are a force to be reckoned with. Recent bar passage scores were damn close to University of Michigan's and Cooley grads are known throughout the state to be fierce inside and outside the courtroom. If you are going to make it here, you better be tough and be passionate about the law.....you won't surive otherwise.

So bright you can't even remember your IQ...

I am a very bright person with an IQ of 138 who screwed up in undergrad the first time around. I went back 10 years later and finished my BA. I had a 4.0 over my last three semesters in undergrad, but it wasn't enough to pull up my earlier grades SO I came to Cooley because they gave me a chance. I will always be eternally greatful for them for that.

WhiteyEMSR

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2008, 11:45:45 AM »

You all can disrespect Cooley all you want but here in Michigan, Cooley grads are a force to be reckoned with. Recent bar passage scores were damn close to University of Michigan's and Cooley grads are known throughout the state to be fierce inside and outside the courtroom. If you are going to make it here, you better be tough and be passionate about the law.....you won't surive otherwise.

University of Michigan doesn't even hold a candle to Cooley. I don't even know why you would compare the two. We have a Cooley grad at out firm and he's worth at least 20 lawyers. He's already arguing appeals in the Sixth Circuit, and he's only been at the firm for a month. Most of the time he just walks into the court room, announces that he's from Cooley, and the opposing counsel bows out.

WhiteyEMSR

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2008, 11:51:32 AM »
Oh, and to the above poster who pointed out the discrepancy between the IQ scores, maybe you should pay attention to the dates. CLEARLY the extra semester at Cooley was enough to bump her IQ score 17 points. By the time she graduates and faces you in the court room, her IQ should be at least 390--then you'll be sorry for implying that Cooley isn't an awesome school. Cooley grads are known to get their revenge in the court room, where they excel far beyong the grads of any other school, not on some stupid website.

beamcnally

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2008, 11:56:19 AM »
138 is likely her IQ. The 155 was probably the raw score she received on the first practice MBE she took, before law school.

WhiteyEMSR

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2008, 11:59:29 AM »
138 is likely her IQ. The 155 was probably the raw score she received on the first practice MBE she took, before law school.

First, don't think I'm not catching your sarcasm smart ass. Second, you've proved your ignorance once again. There's no way she took a practice MBE--that would be a waste of time. Geniuses from Cooley don't even have to take the bar, they just go right from graduation to the swearing in ceremony. Idiot.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2008, 03:58:25 PM »
and all of their diplomas say "wile e. coyote, super genius" on them
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2008, 08:34:24 PM »
For all the people that think tier 4 schools are poo well let me tell you one thing. you are wrong in many ways. Well i agree on one thing you will get a better job right out of law school and yeah you will get in your big law working 80 hrs a week job, and honestly thats what i want to do and that is why i want to transfer to tier 1 school from cooley a tier 4.

However, take for example cooley i will assure one thing a person in the top of his class at cooley will eat any tier 1 graduate alive. cooley creates beasts, they take people that partied, know the street and the rough side of life and turn those party animals into legal beasts; and after all "A jury consists of twelve persons chosen to decide who has the better lawyer." (Robert Frost), they do not know about tiers or any thing as such and all your clients cares about is the money you are going to put in his pockets or simply getting him off clean.

No school makes you work as hard as cooley does and here we don't make law professors, legal analyst or cardozo's we make lawyers that win cases. That is why cooley always ranks on the top in mock trials and competitions. suprised huh!

I dare any of you tier 1,2 student take a cooley test; then you will justify why the attrition rates are high. let me know i'll email you one.

I'm on the top of my class in cooley after the first term and yes i'm transfering out but i know it your school is gonna be a walk in the park for me.

quite possibly the single most entertaining piece of flame ever ... (yes, ever)

Cloggie

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2008, 09:01:18 AM »
I think the 'keeping the dream alive' is ridiculous.  Should NASA be held accountable for the fact that I still really want to become an astronaut?  As you get older, opportunities change.  Period.  It's not as if the number of law schools corresponds in any way to the demand for attorneys.  The ABA reported that 70% of attorneys wish they'd done something else and another respectable group (whose name escapes me but could be Dept of Labor) reported attorneys having the highest depression rate of all professions.  What friggin dream are people suggesting be promoted?  Way too many people head to law school to put off figuring out what they want to do.  This is a dream?  Promote social work school or nursing school.  Two professions that are in great need, but only the latter will get you paid well.

cooleycat

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2008, 10:26:01 AM »
I think the 'keeping the dream alive' is ridiculous.  Should NASA be held accountable for the fact that I still really want to become an astronaut?  As you get older, opportunities change.  Period.  It's not as if the number of law schools corresponds in any way to the demand for attorneys.  The ABA reported that 70% of attorneys wish they'd done something else and another respectable group (whose name escapes me but could be Dept of Labor) reported attorneys having the highest depression rate of all professions.  What friggin dream are people suggesting be promoted?  Way too many people head to law school to put off figuring out what they want to do.  This is a dream?  Promote social work school or nursing school.  Two professions that are in great need, but only the latter will get you paid well.

I think you are ridiculous.