Law School Discussion

Why is Cooley Law so despised?

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: Why is Cooley Law so despised?
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 03:29:42 PM »
I don't see why T4's should be around to 'keep the dream alive'. If you get a sub-150 score on the LSAT even after studying/taking a practice course/retaking, maybe you need to dim your dreams a little. Becoming an attorney is a privilege, not a God-given right. There are some really nice people on here who are going to think I am being very mean, but I don't care. I worked hard in undergrad to get good grades and studied hard for the LSAT to get my score where it needed to be. EVERYONE wishing to practice law should have to do both as well. T4s are an absolute joke and so are their standards.

Wow.  That was the most elitist statement I've seen on here in a long time.  You should possibly look at getting over yourself.  I know people at T4s who are very bright and capable.  They had a rough LSAT and a little too much fun in UG, but they work hard and have the potential to make fantastic attorneys.  Whether or not they meets your standards is of no consequence to their future success.  So you worked hard in UG and the admissions process?  A lot of people on here did.  That and a dollar will get you a double cheese burger at Micky D's.  "Keeping the dream alive" is an ignorant statement and believe it or not, you aren't that special, no matter what you tell yourself on the internet.  There are people on this board who are going to T4 schools and you may want to think about apologizing to them. 
HTH.

In Em Wood's defense, the phrase "keep the dream alive" wasn't hers, it was Nichey's, the first post on page 2.

I also partially agree with her, at least with respect to trashy diploma mills that have a huge attrition rate (like Cooley for one).  I do also think there are a good number of "necessary" T3 and 4 schools, namely in areas that wouldn't otherwise have a law school anywhere near by, etc.

And to say that "having too much fun in undergrad" shouldn't have any consequences later in life makes no sense to me.  There are a lot of people who have the intelligence, aptitude, etc. to be surgeons, but if they have a little too much fun in college, too bad.  Med schools don't care; why should law schools?  We're talking life decisions, and regardless of whether you're mature enough to fully understand the long term effects of those decisions when you're 19 and deciding whether to get up for your morning class, living with those decisions is called growing up and living life.  So I don't think simply saying that some people would be great attorneys should excuse poor LSAT or undergrad performance.

Finally, as a recent grad, perhaps my perspective is simply that every bad, redundant school that puts out 300 diplomas a year just devalues the degree for ALL OF US. (and by redundant, I mean the T3 and 4s in cities where there are already 2+ law schools).  Selfish?  Perhaps, but we're all entitled to our opinion.

Sell Out

• Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 04:33:37 PM »
I see your point.  My problem with what she said came as a result of the blanket judgmental statement and the arrogant way she presented it.  So far as the UG gpa is concerned, I get the idea of consequences, but there are very real differences in after law school options that result from attending a T4 school as opposed to a T14.  I'm never going to be a SC justice and I'm never going to work for V&E and I'm fine with that.

I also agree that we are entitled to our opinions.  She most certainly is, but that doesn't exclude others' right to challenge that opinion.  Thinking about how many T4 attendees are on here and how the uncertainty of law school can really freak soon-to-be students out, I was really taken aback by how inconsiderate her statement was. 

To her quoting Nichey, my bad.  I apologize.  I didn't read the entire thread. 

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 07:07:46 PM »

And to say that "having too much fun in undergrad" shouldn't have any consequences later in life makes no sense to me.  There are a lot of people who have the intelligence, aptitude, etc. to be surgeons, but if they have a little too much fun in college, too bad.  Med schools don't care; why should law schools?  We're talking life decisions, and regardless of whether you're mature enough to fully understand the long term effects of those decisions when you're 19 and deciding whether to get up for your morning class, living with those decisions is called growing up and living life.  So I don't think simply saying that some people would be great attorneys should excuse poor LSAT or undergrad performance.

Finally, as a recent grad, perhaps my perspective is simply that every bad, redundant school that puts out 300 diplomas a year just devalues the degree for ALL OF US. (and by redundant, I mean the T3 and 4s in cities where there are already 2+ law schools).  Selfish?  Perhaps, but we're all entitled to our opinion.

Hi, I started college at the tender age of 16.  Know what I wanted to be when I was 16?  A punk rock drummer.  Know how much I cared about grades?  I didn't at all.  Know how much that sucked when I went to compile my LSAC GPA, and had to compare the semester I was too feckless to just withdraw from classes that I never went to with my magna cum laude BA from the school I wound up graduating from when I got over being a kid?  A whoooolllee bunch.  Fortunately, my LSAT saved me.  I picked a T4 because I liked the idea of debt free education more than a "middle of the T1 prestige" degree for a million dollars.  Not arguing with the brunt of your post which is that "diploma mills are bad".  Just giving you a different perspective.

Now, frankly, I agree that there are several law schools out there that don't deserve much respect.  I also think that  some of the students who attend T3/4s may have unrealistic expectations of their own ability to succeed in law school, and I think that some T3/4 schools encourage that, sadly.  Fortunately mine does not.

There is, I believe, a grain of very real truth to your line of reasoning.  But, I think that you paint with too broad a brush, and it seems you're misdirecting your very reasonable dislike of "diploma mills" at a large swath of the Third and Fourth Tiers. 

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 07:57:57 PM »
For all the people that think tier 4 schools are *&^% well let me tell you one thing. you are wrong in many ways. Well i agree on one thing you will get a better job right out of law school and yeah you will get in your big law working 80 hrs a week job, and honestly thats what i want to do and that is why i want to transfer to tier 1 school from cooley a tier 4.

However, take for example cooley i will assure one thing a person in the top of his class at cooley will eat any tier 1 graduate alive. cooley creates beasts, they take people that partied, know the street and the rough side of life and turn those party animals into legal beasts; and after all "A jury consists of twelve persons chosen to decide who has the better lawyer." (Robert Frost), they do not know about tiers or any thing as such and all your clients cares about is the money you are going to put in his pockets or simply getting him off clean.

No school makes you work as hard as cooley does and here we don't make law professors, legal analyst or cardozo's we make lawyers that win cases. That is why cooley always ranks on the top in mock trials and competitions. suprised huh!

I dare any of you tier 1,2 student take a cooley test; then you will justify why the attrition rates are high. let me know i'll email you one.

I'm on the top of my class in cooley after the first term and yes i'm transfering out but i know it your school is gonna be a walk in the park for me.

vjm

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 08:34:09 PM »
cardozo's??  Good one.

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 08:35:50 PM »
For all the people that think tier 4 schools are poo well let me tell you one thing. you are wrong in many ways. Well i agree on one thing you will get a better job right out of law school and yeah you will get in your big law working 80 hrs a week job, and honestly thats what i want to do and that is why i want to transfer to tier 1 school from cooley a tier 4.

However, take for example cooley i will assure one thing a person in the top of his class at cooley will eat any tier 1 graduate alive. cooley creates beasts, they take people that partied, know the street and the rough side of life and turn those party animals into legal beasts; and after all "A jury consists of twelve persons chosen to decide who has the better lawyer." (Robert Frost), they do not know about tiers or any thing as such and all your clients cares about is the money you are going to put in his pockets or simply getting him off clean.

No school makes you work as hard as cooley does and here we don't make law professors, legal analyst or cardozo's we make lawyers that win cases. That is why cooley always ranks on the top in mock trials and competitions. suprised huh!

I dare any of you tier 1,2 student take a cooley test; then you will justify why the attrition rates are high. let me know i'll email you one.

I'm on the top of my class in cooley after the first term and yes i'm transfering out but i know it your school is gonna be a walk in the park for me.

Based on the other thread this guy started, I'm leaning toward "not flame", but if that's correct, then... why would you come on here to represent how non-bad your school is by writing a post that completely ignores standards of English grammar? (Yeah, I know, it's "The Internet" but every other poster on here at least uses commas and capital letters...)

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 08:42:54 PM »
I actually think it's easier to write with decent grammar than to write that poorly. It's natural for most of us I think.

vjm

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 08:46:42 PM »
I am leaning towards flame. And really, flaming on a Cooley thread is just lazy and uncreative.

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 08:51:09 PM »
i have never used capitals; and much prefer semicolons.

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 08:57:34 PM »
bulldog, you are relating internet proper english with a law school !!! i dont get your point buddy, is that why tier 4 schools are *&^%?  all i am saying is stop talking *&^% about cooley if you have never been there and don't know what goes on there. no flaming here but im tired hearsay.