Law School Discussion

U Penn or Northwestern?

Re: U Penn or Northwestern?
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 09:32:26 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts, guys. Lovebutton, would you go so far as to say that Penn has a better quality of life/vibe than Northwestern? Would you agree with Tx2102 that Northwestern is a nicer campus?

Tx2102, I'm wondering if you could describe your thoughts on the Penn versus Northwestern students...what about the Penn students gave you a better vibe?

Could any current Northwestern or Penn students weigh in?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I can't speak to NU's campus or quality of life from personal experience.  From my experiences at Penn, I can say that it is a slightly younger campus (although there's still an active young-person social life at NU).  Philly is an excellent an inexpensive town to go out in, and it seemed that Penn students took full advantage of it.  I really like Penn's campus, but it's a bit more urban (less rolling hillsides, more streets running through it).

In general, Penn, more than any other T10, attracts students whose priorities are not only academics, but also having a really excellent law school social experience.

EarlCat

• i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 11:09:06 AM »
I really like Penn's campus, but it's a bit more urban (less rolling hillsides, more streets running through it).

Um, NL is in downtown Chicago... doesn't get much more urban than that.

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 09:42:38 AM »
I really like Penn's campus, but it's a bit more urban (less rolling hillsides, more streets running through it).

Um, NL is in downtown Chicago... doesn't get much more urban than that.

Yeah, I didn't mean 'more urban than NU,' just 'more urban than not'.  I've never been to NU's campus, but I have been to that area in Chicago and loved it.

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 05:49:09 PM »
Thanks again for your comments. I'm still stuck, but now harping on two thoughts:

1) I do not like Northwestern's newly announced 2-year JD:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-two-year-lawjun20,0,5157954.story

It seems very faddish, and I worry that -- since the first class would graduate in 2011, too--that it could diminish the value of my degree. Thoughts?

2) I keep hearing that West Philly is unsafe...is it THAT bad?

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 06:46:46 PM »

2) I keep hearing that West Philly is unsafe...is it THAT bad?

No. It really isn't. You'll have no reason to go to areas that aren't as safe as any other city as long as you use a little sense.

As to the buildings, all but one are recently renovated (and beautifully done). They're renovating the basement areas this summer - new lockers, and I think the clinic offices will be redone as well. Pepper Hall isn't beautiful, but not much happens there, and I think it's on the list for renovation in the near future. There really should be no complaints about Penn's facilities.

Sergio

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 06:53:29 PM »
Cady you go to Penn?  I might be going to law school in the city next year.  We should get together. 

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 06:57:03 PM »
Thanks, Cady! I've never been to Penn but it seems like most people thought Northwestern was a bit more attractive so I am really glad to hear about the nice renovations.

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 07:25:25 PM »
The opportunity to call Cady your classmate should be worth more than attending a random Chicago school.  Go to Penn.   :P

Thank you. You are the first person who has decisively said to go to one school or another -- both here and in my real life -- and I love you for that, especially as the clock is ticking louder and louder...

EarlCat

• i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 10:23:59 PM »
1) I do not like Northwestern's newly announced 2-year JD:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-two-year-lawjun20,0,5157954.story

It seems very faddish, and I worry that -- since the first class would graduate in 2011, too--that it could diminish the value of my degree. Thoughts?

I don't think you'd have to take the 2 year program if you go to NU.  I might be wrong, but I seem to remember something about them already offering a 2-year degree for foreign students.  Maybe that was LLM. ???

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 10:36:41 PM »
You're right, EarlCat. It's not even on offer this fall--but people who start in fall 2009 would finish with us. I know they interviewed employers who said they don't care, but I can't imagine this being a "positive" for employers. Or for the students who do it, actually. Or for Northwestern's reputation. It just seems like a bad idea all around.