Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Soft Factor: Senior Thesis?  (Read 951 times)

WashLaw

• View Profile
Soft Factor: Senior Thesis?
« on: June 17, 2008, 05:38:08 PM »
Ok, so I'm just wondering how much asenior thesis in classics would help my LS chances. I realize it's a numbers game, I'm just wondering whether it's worth my time at all to do one or not.

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Soft Factor: Senior Thesis?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 05:40:40 PM »
No help, sorry.

GunnerDore

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 06:46:54 PM »
If it's an honors thesis and you don't receive honors until graduation, your thesis might be useful for getting off a waitlist or two, but otherwise it's not going to be a huge deal.

That said, writing my thesis was really rewarding and I'm glad I know what it feels like to tackle a large project--your thesis might be worth writing if only for the experience of it.

Snowdrifter

• Planning to begin 1L in Fall 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 07:18:56 PM »
I honestly doubt that it would play a substantial role in your application's ultimate result, but as Gooner pointed out, the value of tackling a major writing project may make it worth your while.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 12:13:12 AM »
If it's an honors thesis and you don't receive honors until graduation, your thesis might be useful for getting off a waitlist or two, but otherwise it's not going to be a huge deal.

That said, writing my thesis was really rewarding and I'm glad I know what it feels like to tackle a large project--your thesis might be worth writing if only for the experience of it.

I respectfully disagree. Writing my thesis nothing more than a waste of time.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 08:56:59 AM »
My thesis experience was incredible- totally changed my writing, and gave me a glimmering of what legal writing is all about.

I think a thesis is, at best, a minimal soft factor. If the subject is relevant to law, a thesis might be a very small positive. Mine encouraged me to apply to certain schools, and I made that connection clear in waitlist LOCIs.

ShadWhitmore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 08:20:44 PM »
As others have said, it's a good experience, and I highly recommend it.

Still, it probably won't help you unless you take a year off and get it published.