Law School Discussion

DC Forum - anyone else attending?

verde

Re: DC Forum - anyone else attending?
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 07:56:53 PM »
I'm signed up to go but I'm debating whether I should or not. I already know what schools I want to apply to so I'm trying to figure out what benefits there will be to going...what I can learn that I can't learn by doing research on the schools online. Is there significant contact with the Admissions people so that they might remember who you are?

Just wondering if it's worth the hour and a half drive each way.  :)

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 12:25:50 PM »
I looked over some previous threads....It said that previous forums were business casual and up, and that suits weren't uncommon.  I'm probably going to take a messenger bag, and if it looks like nobody else is wearing a suit, I'll put my jacket in it.  Not the greatest for it, but still.  Hope to see you all there!  Wanna do lunch or something?

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 05:50:50 PM »
it would be cool to meet up at some point but i don't want to commit to anything until i get there.  if there's a line to talk to any T1 or T2 rep like there supposedly was at forums in the past i'll probably just spend the day waiting around.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 09:00:19 AM »
so what were people's impressions?  i definitely have some and i feel like my target schools changed dramatically yesterday.  just wanted to see what other people thought.

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 10:43:18 AM »
I was also really impressed with it...

Mercer jumped up to #1 on my most likely pick - their counselor really impressed me.
Ohio State surprised me - it wasn't even on my list, but now it's #2.
Even U of Louisville's admissions counselor couldn't get excited about that school - that's a problem in my mind.
Tulane was pretty much what I expected - it didn't really change my opinion of it.
Temple's people were nice.
The Rutgers people were hard to pin down....I think I liked them?  I'm not sure.
Case Western also really impressed me - their people obviously really like their schools - they were very engaging and very interested in the students that came to visit them.

The lectures were useless, IMHO.

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 11:30:57 AM »
yea, i thought the lectures were useless, though I thought the Charleston guy in the Applying section was entertaining.

Thumbs UP:

-The Richmond rep was great.  Fee waivers for everyone and LOTS of useful info.

-Same goes for the Wake rep.  What a great choice and I think she was getting a lot of people interested in Wake.  Shame they didn't have better literature though.

-I was very impressed with GW and they are my new top target.

-I was very, very impressed with UGA.  They weren't on my radar at all going into the day and I came out certain I would apply there.

-Same with George Mason.  Very nice, very knowledgable reps.  I'll definitely be applying there now too.

Thumbs DOWN:

-Unfortunately it was pretty easy to tell which schools thought they needed a good showing here and which one's didn't.  With the possible exceptions of Penn, Cornell, and maybe Michigan it seemed like the rest of the T14 was just kinda bleh.

-LSAC in general.  Who thought it was a good idea to put Harvard, UNC, UGA, and George Mason (all of significant interest to this region) right in front of the lecture room entrances AND decide to cram the LSAC table in there as well?  It was a total pain to try to talk to these schools while hundreds of people are trying to get in and out of the tiny doors into the rooms.  It's a huge hotel, they easily could have found better rooms for the workshops.  Plus, I felt sorry for GULC.  They were crammed all the way in the corner right in front of a huge post.  I couldn't even find them for several hours.  Their reps seemed tired, and the triple-fragmented literature was weird as well.

-I was VERY put off by the Duke rep.  if this is the person Duke thinks represents them then it's obvious they have a big, big problem.  She could not have been more surly and less helpful.  This was very disappointing to me because Duke was my top target going into the day and I couldn't have left with a worse impression.  I'll still apply there but I definitely have bumped them down several notches.

-The UNC rep was lukewarm at best.  He was relatively personable (though he got downright exasperated at the guy in front of me and I thought he had asked legitimate questions) but had no literature.  With UNC continuing to tumble in the rankings I think they needed a much better presence.

-UVA was strange as well.  They probably had the longest lines of anyone all day, but had a huge table and three people.  Maybe they were just having good, long conversations, I don't know.  Still, it was annoying to have to wait in line for 15 minutes to see someone.  Extra ding to the Admissions chair who whined that "With everybody applying to 15-18 schools now, how are WE supposed to know who really, really wants US?  Woe is me!!!" Boo hoo, you're a top 10 school.  I think people will find you.  This is a copout and the source of the waitlist issue.

I'm sure I'll think of other anecdotes but that was mainly it for now.